Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
I just now noticed the little hidden message in your avatar, Mark.

I'll double check with David (owner of the gym) about that woman and her 32 rounds. I thought it was a bit far fetched after I finished it too. I was going at a pretty good clip but 32 seems impossible. Maybe I heard him wrong, I am deaf after all.

You were right, I did manage to squeeze in one more round of wall climbs hence the .1 rounds.

One thing I've learned from all those years of exercising is how important it is to know your limits. If you end up getting caught up in everything you do, too much weight, too fast, etc..you could get hurt. I used to hurt a LOT after every workout and would ignore those to get through the next one. I've learned now to listen to my body. If it hurts a certain way, I must be doing something wrong or taking on too much. Weight lifting is no longer a priority for me..I don't want to become big like Mr. Universe. I want to stay in shape for that one day when I get old.

Mark..like I said earlier, I no longer do weights like that so there's no way I'd ever want to do 540 lbs again. That was almost 8 years ago when I was doing heavy heavy weights. No more of that for me.

Marc, I'm with you on the eating part...I eat well, not great too.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
^^ One of the hardest lessons for people who have been fit or athletes most of their life is when to back off. There is a difference between working hard and progressing towards goals and simply ignoring something that will injure you because of your toughness/ego.

This is actually something crossfit folks need to fight against as CF workouts seem to be very workrate, metcon, exhaustion, etc... rather than form/execution based. Don't take this as a slam, this is my opinion based on the limited CF I've seen online. But every time I see a workout vid, folks are banging out the last few reps of an exercise often with HORRIBLE form just to make the number or time.

Old folks from any discipline should know, when form breaks down you stop. Or you get hurt and put you out of action for weeks/months. That does nothing for your fitness.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
folks are banging out the last few reps of an exercise often with HORRIBLE form just to make the number or time.

Old folks from any discipline should know, when form breaks down you stop. Or you get hurt and put you out of action for weeks/months. That does nothing for your fitness.
I took one CF class to see what the hype was. Looking around the room, I was very concerned with the lack of form for the final few reps. It's no surprise that my friend keep reinjuring herself. There's a good article about this issue in the most recent Mens Health magazine.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 PM
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it all depends on which CF you go to. I went to two and I chose this one because the coaches there are very mindful of my deafness and ensuring that we stick with proper forms. They take the time to remind us constantly! It can be too easy as many have discovered to lose focus on that when you're angling for the best possible time.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I'm not opposed to metcon work (although I wouldn't make it my primary focus) but if I were to get into crossfit I'd definitely choose a gym (or box, whatever) where the instructors yelled at you about form instead of finishing.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
I just now noticed the little hidden message in your avatar, Mark.

I'll double check with David (owner of the gym) about that woman and her 32 rounds. I thought it was a bit far fetched after I finished it too. I was going at a pretty good clip but 32 seems impossible. Maybe I heard him wrong, I am deaf after all.

You were right, I did manage to squeeze in one more round of wall climbs hence the .1 rounds.

One thing I've learned from all those years of exercising is how important it is to know your limits. If you end up getting caught up in everything you do, too much weight, too fast, etc..you could get hurt. I used to hurt a LOT after every workout and would ignore those to get through the next one. I've learned now to listen to my body. If it hurts a certain way, I must be doing something wrong or taking on too much. Weight lifting is no longer a priority for me..I don't want to become big like Mr. Universe. I want to stay in shape for that one day when I get old.

Mark..like I said earlier, I no longer do weights like that so there's no way I'd ever want to do 540 lbs again. That was almost 8 years ago when I was doing heavy heavy weights. No more of that for me.

Marc, I'm with you on the eating part...I eat well, not great too.
You just posted a few months ago that you did the 3 sets of 20 reps 540lbs with Lee. I bet you 100 bucks you couldn't. It wasn't 8 years ago

Old 10-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Whoops...8 years ago was more weight. I forgot I did 540 a couple months ago too. They weren't "deep" which is probably why I was able to do 60 rep.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
^^ One of the hardest lessons for people who have been fit or athletes most of their life is when to back off. There is a difference between working hard and progressing towards goals and simply ignoring something that will injure you because of your toughness/ego.

This is actually something crossfit folks need to fight against as CF workouts seem to be very workrate, metcon, exhaustion, etc... rather than form/execution based. Don't take this as a slam, this is my opinion based on the limited CF I've seen online. But every time I see a workout vid, folks are banging out the last few reps of an exercise often with HORRIBLE form just to make the number or time.

I totally understand that. Good coaches are as important as anything. I'm fortunate to have a couple of the top CF'ers in the country as coaches. They've been to the games, etc. and compete regularly. The minute they seem form breaking down they scale back with that individual. While you have to push yourself it should not be at the cost of poor form and potential injury.

Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
I took one CF class to see what the hype was. Looking around the room, I was very concerned with the lack of form for the final few reps. It's no surprise that my friend keep reinjuring herself. There's a good article about this issue in the most recent Mens Health magazine.

Again, it has a lot to do with coaching. Many people aren't told that it is OK to scale the exercises to their current level. Its a shame that a few bad apples can give CF such a bad name. As I mentioned earlier we've got a number of 40-somethings in our class and one in particular is top 2 every workout. I've talked to him at length about training, what he was doing before, etc. One thing he has said to me is that any joint, bone, and muscle pain he had prior to starting crossfit is gone now. He puts it all down to the repetition of functional movements.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
I forgot this thread was here. anyways, I just got back from getting my ass kicked weaved when I should have bobbed.

Cross fit is no joke, I need to get back into it.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bmoores
I totally understand that. Good coaches are as important as anything. I'm fortunate to have a couple of the top CF'ers in the country as coaches. They've been to the games, etc. and compete regularly. The minute they seem form breaking down they scale back with that individual. While you have to push yourself it should not be at the cost of poor form and potential injury.

Again, it has a lot to do with coaching. Many people aren't told that it is OK to scale the exercises to their current level. Its a shame that a few bad apples can give CF such a bad name. As I mentioned earlier we've got a number of 40 somethings in our class and one in particular is top 2 every workout. I've talked to him at length about training, what he was doing before, etc. One thing he has said to me is that any joint, bone, and muscle pain he had prior to starting crossfit is gone now. He puts it all down to the repetition of functional movements.
What in the hell is wrong with being 40 something....sheesh you comment like it's a plague.

I think the problem with many workouts is people do it half ass and the instructors just don't give a shit.

I've never tried Crossfit it looks like it could be fun. I've got a good friend that does it down here and he tells me it's good as well.

Wish I had time.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread