Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Teamspeed Member
Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Guys, I don’t want to come across as a know all just want to try and give you advice as I was heavily into nutrition and fitness mainly power lifting.

You need to eat meats daily as well as vegetables, obviously it is very detailed and if anyone has questions I am happy to try and answer as I am sure others are.

Say you want to loose weight, 3 key things diet wise are:

-leafy greens are a negative calorie intake; asin the calories consumed via the food is less than what is taken to digest them.

-30% of your daily carb intake in the morning 70% after your training if your training is morning then 30% in the afternoon

-EAT fats, not saturated fats but have 30-50g of un saturated fats a day remember cooking your chicken or what even in olive oil counts and eat nuts.

For power lifting (alot easier):

- Eat 1.5 times to 2 times your BMI recommended calorie intake

- Protein is king

- Carbs and fats are to be eaten in plenty

The body has a PhD in adaptation, so it will get used to low or high calorie diets and same training day in day out over time.

When losing weight have a 6-8 hour period of meals of high calorie count or a day once a week, this keeps your body on its "toes".

With training switch from extended cardio sessions to HIIT sessions or for lifting from low rep high weight to high rep low weight sets every 10-12 weeks this will help get over the "plateau" some people experience.

One last thing for this post is aim to eat every 2-3 hours! Small meals and ALWAYS eat whole foods aim for no processed or low processed foods. I eat one table spoon cottage cheese before bed as it is a casein protein and slow digesting over night as I sleep to keep my metabolism going.

Sorry for the long post

Regards,

Mitch

Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
I'll take it, PM me as well!

I've been off lately. A friend of mine is in town and I barely see him, so I figure I can go off a little bit for while he is here...once he leaves it's back to the grind. Thankfully, I haven't noticed any appreciable loss in physical ability or how I feel, but we will see once I jump in the pool sometime soon.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maximilian has a reputation beyond reputeMaximilian has a reputation beyond reputeMaximilian has a reputation beyond reputeMaximilian has a reputation beyond reputeMaximilian has a reputation beyond reputeMaximilian has a reputation beyond reputeMaximilian has a reputation beyond reputeMaximilian has a reputation beyond reputeMaximilian has a reputation beyond reputeMaximilian has a reputation beyond reputeMaximilian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Detailer

Say you want to loose weight, 3 key things diet wise are:

CALORIE DEFICIT
CALORIE DEFICIT
CALORIE DEFICIT
If you "use" more than what you consume, you will drop weight! I'm sure everyone knows this but let's remember folks, common practice is COMPLETELY different than common knowledge.

Everyone is completely different when it comes down to macros and all types of goals can be achieved whether your on a 40/40/20 diet, keto diet, intermittent fasting etc...It just depends on how YOUR body reacts. But good protein and enough of it is key to either fat loss, muscle building, and strength.

Thanks for the input, Mitch! I am glad you are here to contribute. I believe that when getting "in shape" diet is a much more crucial factor than working out.

My contribution to this thread, which I hope will help others out, will start to be focused on my diet and nutrition. Pics, meals, recipes, tips...Whatever!! I think we could use a little more of that in here.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
Sounds awesome, if you want PM me and I'll shoot you my email.

As for meat causing cancer or veg diets being more healthy, that subject is heavily debated with no clear cut answer. Remember that a documentary showing one study just means that study came to a conclusion. Other studies have not been nearly so damning and have allowed the possibility that there are other factors in cancer than meat consumption (prep technique, the rest of the diet, veggie folks being more health conscious in general, etc...) or even food consumption.

I don't fall on either side of the fence, but I would advise anyone to eat more veggies if they care about health. I wouldn't advise dropping meat from the diet at this point.
I agree that each person should make their own informed decision. I have.

I also think it's worth noting that many people equate protein with meat. I know i did. In truth, nonmeat protein is more easily absorbed and efficient.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
There are certainly other ways to get protein (chickpeas, quinoa and a host of other stuff) but getting complete protein (all the essential amino acids) takes some doing on a veggies diet where as all a meat eat has to do is a chicken breast.

I'm also curious about the study in the doc you watched, was their link to cancer rates due to HCA's and PHA's or something else? Meaning what specific to meat did they think was the cause, something within the substance itself or the prep method (high heat cooking?)

How is it that non-meat based protein is more easily absorbed/efficient? Note that this stuff isn't an argument, I just want the details since I'm a geek.

BTW-Detailer, what is your weight/current PRs? I'm pretty much done with PL (my back can't take deads any more despite good for and warmup)but I always like chatting about it. You lift raw or geared?

Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
I agree that each person should make their own informed decision. I have.

I also think it's worth noting that many people equate protein with meat. I know i did. In truth, nonmeat protein is more easily absorbed and efficient.

Last edited by big_slacker; 09-28-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Detailer

-leafy greens are a negative calorie intake; asin the calories consumed via the food is less than what is taken to digest them.
I'm fairly certain there are 0 conclusive/credible studies that would support that. Surely one can Google some magazine article, probably the same one that says that you need some electro shocker to bring out your abs, but there - they simply state some made up numbers without any back up information.

I lean towards the negative calorie "diet" being a big myth. Someone might prove me wrong though.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm also curious about the study in the doc you watched, was their link to cancer rates due to HCA's and PHA's or something else? Meaning what specific to meat did they think was the cause, something within the substance itself or the prep method (high heat cooking?)

How is it that non-meat based protein is more easily absorbed/efficient? Note that this stuff isn't an argument, I just want the details since I'm a geek.
The study was done over a 10 year period all over the provinces of China. Each region had remarkably different rates of cancer and heart disease with the only variable of significance was diet. Of course, this was what I gathered from "watching" a documentary and its obviously slanted in the view of the director. However, I don't see any agenda to skew the outcome of such a study. No clue what the cooking method was, but the study was extremely detailed and probably accounted for that. It examined over "350 variables." The study is summarized in this book: Amazon.com: The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health (9781932100662): T. Colin Campbell, Thomas M. Campbell II, Howard Lyman, John Robbins: Bo

"Absorption" was probably technically incorrect. I meant to say digested (which is a prerequisite to absorption). And by nonmeat, I meant a vegan protein powder or milk based. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Teamspeed Member
Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Detailer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
BTW-Detailer, what is your weight/current PRs? I'm pretty much done with PL (my back can't take deads any more despite good for and warmup)but I always like chatting about it. You lift raw or geared?
At the moment I am way out of shape , havent been training for a while as I have been building my business, but 169cm, 105kg around 27%bf current lifts I am unsure.

Previously
169cm, 101kg, 17.3%gf taken using a dexa scan.
1rep maxs; bench- 148kg, squat- 195kg(reguarly though I had a freak day of 205 once) deadlift- 220kg

Regards,

Mitch

Old 09-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Ah, I thought it might be the China study. That's the one that I was talking about when I mentioned some variables not taken into account like some higher rates of cancer in China vs other countries even though they have lower overall cancer rates, cooking methods (high heat/well done/charred vs. sous vide, slow cooked to medium), other studies that don't reproduce the data and so on. The study made a splash and had the book written over 5 years ago I think but was very far from definitive.

Again, I'm not saying don't go more plant based as I'm a huge veg head and there are massive benefits to eating them. But that particular study alone isn't any reason to not eat meat.

Detailer, nice squat, wish I could put up that much but I'm just a little guy.

Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
The study was done over a 10 year period all over the provinces of China. Each region had remarkably different rates of cancer and heart disease with the only variable of significance was diet. Of course, this was what I gathered from "watching" a documentary and its obviously slanted in the view of the director. However, I don't see any agenda to skew the outcome of such a study. No clue what the cooking method was, but the study was extremely detailed and probably accounted for that. It examined over "350 variables." The study is summarized in this book: Amazon.com: The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health (9781932100662): T. Colin Campbell, Thomas M. Campbell II, Howard Lyman, John Robbins: Bo

"Absorption" was probably technically incorrect. I meant to say digested (which is a prerequisite to absorption). And by nonmeat, I meant a vegan protein powder or milk based. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by big_slacker; 09-28-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Teamspeed Member
Thanks mate, Hope to be up to 160kg bench, 210 squat and 235 deadlift by the end of 2012. I just started again but need to shread a few kg's first.

IMO I dont care about what people say about cooking food and eat this eat that except what I have mentioned above which is more just eating a balanced diet for your purpose ie negative calorie intake for cutting positive for bulking.

Unless your have everything from training to water intake, sleep pattern, no alcohol, cigars, smoking, ect most things will not make a difference this is from personal experience I have tried many different things in the past and always go back to my "diet" which is just whole foods and balanced to my needs.

Nice and simple that way.

Also for training for strength or size, train your stabilizer muscles, your muscles might lift heavy but could be better if you have stronger stabilizer muscles otherwise to much effort from your primary muscle your targeting is going to stabilizing instead of actualy lifting.

I do this by using a 8inch piece of PVC plumbing pipe 6.5 foot long half filled with water and over head press it, squat it, anything you can do to lift it, its not a heavy weight but as the water moves its primary function is to work your stabilizers.

Also doing clean and presses with a beer keg thats 1/4 filled with water or 1/3 filled with sand is great! and remember the back is key to a strong body I have a decent size back atm but always used to get comments on it and my traps and lats but not so much my arms and pecks. Good thing about this is also at the gym you dont have to wait all the time for the little guys using the squat rack for barbell curls and benchpress for declined situps!

Last edited by Detailer; 09-29-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread