Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
Great thread, I'm a strong believer in actively taking care of yourself with exercise and diet. I'm 31, currently at 215lbs. I plan to go up in weight a bit more for the next month or two, and then lean out again when the sun comes back out.

I typically lift 3 days a week, and do something high impact/cardio related 1-2 days a week.

My lifting workouts are very simple, mostly compound exercises with free weights. It doesn't take a huge investment in fancy equipment, just the motivation to do it. For cardio I like to stick to fun stuff. In the cold months it's typically hockey, snowboarding, and heavy bag training. During the warm months it's wakeboarding, biking, rollerblading, and some running.

If you just need to get in shape you don't need to worry about learning some crazy double reversal ascending periodization routine, because it just doesn't matter. Just do something active 3-4 days a week, give yourself time to recover after a hard workout, and stop eating the crap you know that you aren't supposed to eat. Focus on eating lean protein with every meal, and cut out the processed carb loaded foods. A good rule of thumb is to avoid anything with brightly colored packaging or dozens of ingredients that you can't even pronounce. If you are lost in terms of what to eat, start out with the Green Faces diet. It's very simple and instills healthy eating habits that are sustainable:

http://www.t-nation.com/portal_inclu...10-635-01.html

Stick with it and before you know it you will be healthier, feel better, and look better naked.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 PM
sal
Teamspeed Senior Member
sal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant future
I'm 18 and really like the Men's Health app on the iphone. It's always good to change things up a little with some good new ideas, but at the moment my workouts come from pledging, which pushes me a little harder than a normal workout.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:23 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Le Pun
Making some big changes in my life currently and started back at the gym. I am not looking to get jacked but toned up and all around fitness.

Been doing 60 mins of Cardio 3-4 times a week and light weights 3-4 times a week. Also trying to eat alot better, chicken breast for lunch and dinner but still hitting some Chicago Pizza and Portillos Beef 1-2 a week to keep me sane.

This has been going since I moved back from Florida to Chicago a few weeks back. I feel great, don't wanta sleep in all the time, and have a positive attitude to alot of things that used to bug me.
Bro, I'd caution you on the amount of cardio that you are doing. The simple analogy being, look at the body of a marathon runner, and the body of a sprinter.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
30k on my bike again today. Boring I know but that's all the time I have with kids in school and running them everywhere.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Heading to the gym again in 15 minutes or so. Here is what I did yesterday:

Upper body push/pull circuit x 3, plus weighted box jumps. Rep count was 15, 12, 9. I took no rest between exercises or sets other than to move to the next exercise.

1-Barbell military shoulder press 135 lbs
2-Kettlebell swing to full overhead extension 44 lbs
3-Dumbell rear flys 35 lbs
4-Medicine ball slam 15 lbs
5-Cable shoulder extensions low-to-high 25 lbs
6-Barbell cleans 135 lbs
7-36" box jumps wearing my steel plates

My heart rate was in the 180s or higher the entire time, and it took me about 25 minutes to complete this due to A-focus on my form and B-I re-did every cheated rep or box jump that I didn't land properly.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Bro, I'd caution you on the amount of cardio that you are doing. The simple analogy being, look at the body of a marathon runner, and the body of a sprinter.
Yeah, but top marathoners are built that way to begin with and so are sprinters. Their training does affect how their bodies look, but an average overweight guy doing 180 minutes a week on a treadmill isn't gonna turn into a Kenyan marathoner.

Still, if I was training an average person I'd do weights 3x/wk, 2 40 minute LSD and one interval. Less total time spent, probably better results for what they're looking for. 180-240 minutes a week running is a LOT of time, pounding on the knees and so on.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
33 years old. I was at 235 before p90x and now I'm at 220. I'd like to lean out a bit more and get to 210 (still have a gut piece). I still do p90x, but I play ice hockey on the cardio days (twice a week) instead of doing the cardio workouts. I generally eat a low carb diet consisting of veggies and meats. Overall, I'm very happy with my progress.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Banned
Did back yesterday and only deadlifts today. It was supposed to be a day off, but I had to do something.

Deadlifts;
Form check in mirror with 45 lb bar only
15x135 (with shrugs built in)
15x225 (with shrugs built in)
15x225 (with shrugs built in)
12x295
10x315
8x365
4x385
2x405

Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Gator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond repute
20 mile week! Definitely sore, but in a good way! Finally have a rest day tomorrow

Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned
Good job Gator. Nice to see this was revived...

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread