Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
How has everybody been?

Just did my weekly bike ride this morning...67.3 miles, and roughly 2310 ft of climbing. As a bonus, I climbed more and rode this faster than a lot of my previous rides! If I end up doing 100 more feet of climbing every week I'll be beasting it up those hills by the end of summer. But for now I'm still slow.

I think I finally hit my weight goal of 145 as well. Now I just gotta cut the rest of the fat that I have left over. Not drinking all summer (in addition to REALLY controlling what I eat) has been fantastic so far!

Oh and I just wanted to share a site:

Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

It's nifty...it has the nutrition facts for thousands upon thousands of stuff, and you can do custom entries. You can input recipes and whatnot, and most importantly, you can throw it all together to track what you're eating on a daily basis - not just the calories, but the fats, amino acids, sugars, vitamins, and etc as well. Use this with the daily needs calculator so that you're not just comparing this against a standard 2000 calorie diet and you pretty much have my favorite tool for making sure I don't turn into a fatass with my eating!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Today I rode my 35 lb sled up the shuttle road at the local AM/FR trail. 2 miles of pain (start at 7k, I think around 600-700 vertical) and then an awesome ride down with bermed corners, rock gardens and jumps which I've posted before on other threads. Little under an hour and a great little afternoon workout.

Tomorrow I make my triumphant return to the weight room after almost a month of travel, cardio and bodyweight stuff.

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Gator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond repute
Been running 3-4 miles barefoot on the beach on weekdays for the five weeks or so, such a great way to start the morning

I'm thinking Vibram five fingers for when I get back to treadmill/road running

Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Weightroom, worked up to 115 ohp, felt a little weak but that is expected after the layoffs and long working days.

Eating is on point, lean meats, complex carbs and some good fat.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Hockey game and then 10 laps in the pool followed by hot tub. Now I'm watching Anthony Bourdain and I'm trying not to go crazy in the kitchen.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
Today I rode my 35 lb sled up the shuttle road at the local AM/FR trail. 2 miles of pain (start at 7k, I think around 600-700 vertical) and then an awesome ride down with bermed corners, rock gardens and jumps which I've posted before on other threads. Little under an hour and a great little afternoon workout.

Tomorrow I make my triumphant return to the weight room after almost a month of travel, cardio and bodyweight stuff.
Looks fun

I need to figure out how to get down and ride with you in your mtns

My two rides in Italy were over 400-500 meter high hills

Almost 80k the last ride with a rental hard tail Mtn bike with low tire pressure and 96 degree weather

Better note after 24 days in Italy eating carbs and the 3-4 days a week Gelato I lost 4lbs

Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Tahoe is pretty epic for mountain biking. Obviously there are few trails that don't involve climbing, but on lighter bikes (or ones with a granny gear) they're fun and always have great views. And epic rides allow for epic meals.

Originally Posted by h20skier
Looks fun

I need to figure out how to get down and ride with you in your mtns

My two rides in Italy were over 400-500 meter high hills

Almost 80k the last ride with a rental hard tail Mtn bike with low tire pressure and 96 degree weather

Better note after 24 days in Italy eating carbs and the 3-4 days a week Gelato I lost 4lbs

Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Hey all, I've been meaning to post this but keep forgetting. I've been an athlete as far back as my memory runs, in various sports. I'm also a typical ectomorph (google it) and never cared a bit about nutrition until I was almost 30. However, even us beanpole types can abuse the hell out of genetic advantage, I could show you then->now pics of my dad to prove it.

Now, nutrition is a murky subject. Some say restrict calories, some say restrict carbs. Some say no carbs, some say no fat and so on. All appear to have solid science behind them, so what is "right"?

When choosing what to read, and ultimately what eating style to adapt, there has to be a litmus test. Mine is how has the method of eating been applied by real folks (even the author!!!) over time. If it hasn't been, skip it. If it has been, look not just at weight loss and before/after. Look for blogs, see if people struggle to eat this way, see if they compete in sports and so on. If there is significant struggle or rebounding then its probably not a "lifestyle" type of eating but rather a fad diet.

With all that said, the first ever e-book I bought (actually the only!) was called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. Tom is a lifetime natural bodybuilder who maintains sub 10% BF year round. He preaches natural foods and more of them, along with higher activity levels to use those calories. Don't starve yourself or cut macronutrients, USE them.

Another author I respect who has a different but similar take it John Berardi. John is a PhD specializing in nutrition. In addition to training elite level athletes he himself is in very good shape. Berardi's take is to time nutrients around activity and personal body type. So you might get some complex carbs in the morning, low-carb during the day and then carb it up (within reason) post workout. This method works very well for fat loss.

Both of these authors have helped shape my own personal take on nutrition and have helped my wife and I stay lean and not starving as we move through our 30's towards 40. Check 'em out. I don't care if you buy their stuff, DL through nefarious means if you like. But if they end up being as good as I think, buy the stuff after for karmic purposes.

Tom Venuto's Home Page: Fat Loss - All Natural Bodybuilding - Drug Free Bodybuilding

Dr. John Berardi, Ph.D.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
I'm also a typical ectomorph [/url]

Dr. John Berardi, Ph.D.
Lucky...im a Meso...i gain weight like its no ones business but can also shed fast just sucks to CONSTANTLY keep on top of it...frustrating as funk...

Yet the one thing i can pull from it is that i KNOW for a fact id be considerably less healthy if i wasnt a Meso...Drinking beer 3 times a week and eating pizza would be a trend for sure if i didnt gain an ounce like young ectomorps do...rant over

Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
My vote is eat what you want
My diet book would be easy. One page

Eat less
Exercise more

Americans eat too much at a time. Cut the meal in half or less and add exercise and life is easy.
Hey all, I've been meaning to post this but keep forgetting. I've been an athlete as far back as my memory runs, in various sports. I'm also a typical ectomorph (google it) and never cared a bit about nutrition until I was almost 30. However, even us beanpole types can abuse the hell out of genetic advantage, I could show you then->now pics of my dad to prove it.

Now, nutrition is a murky subject. Some say restrict calories, some say restrict carbs. Some say no carbs, some say no fat and so on. All appear to have solid science behind them, so what is "right"?

When choosing what to read, and ultimately what eating style to adapt, there has to be a litmus test. Mine is how has the method of eating been applied by real folks (even the author!!!) over time. If it hasn't been, skip it. If it has been, look not just at weight loss and before/after. Look for blogs, see if people struggle to eat this way, see if they compete in sports and so on. If there is significant struggle or rebounding then its probably not a "lifestyle" type of eating but rather a fad diet.

With all that said, the first ever e-book I bought (actually the only!) was called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. Tom is a lifetime natural bodybuilder who maintains sub 10% BF year round. He preaches natural foods and more of them, along with higher activity levels to use those calories. Don't starve yourself or cut macronutrients, USE them.

Another author I respect who has a different but similar take it John Berardi. John is a PhD specializing in nutrition. In addition to training elite level athletes he himself is in very good shape. Berardi's take is to time nutrients around activity and personal body type. So you might get some complex carbs in the morning, low-carb during the day and then carb it up (within reason) post workout. This method works very well for fat loss.

Both of these authors have helped shape my own personal take on nutrition and have helped my wife and I stay lean and not starving as we move through our 30's towards 40. Check 'em out. I don't care if you buy their stuff, DL through nefarious means if you like. But if they end up being as good as I think, buy the stuff after for karmic purposes.

Tom Venuto's Home Page: Fat Loss - All Natural Bodybuilding - Drug Free Bodybuilding

Dr. John Berardi, Ph.D.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread