Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by yzracer931
Love everyone at the gym stare at you when doing them. We have a whole bunch of guys that work arms way to much. You know it was a good deadlift day when you have bloody shins when leaving the gym!
It was the same way with the 100+ other A-types I worked with in Iraq. I was one of 3 or 4 guys that even did dead lifts, and when I would put between 400-500#'s on the bar and pick it up, I swear it was like time stopped. The gym got quiet (it was only about a 20x30 foot room, but everyone stopped lifting and listened to me cussing while I picked that up.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Green has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoCal
It was the same way with the 100+ other A-types I worked with in Iraq. I was one of 3 or 4 guys that even did dead lifts, and when I would put between 400-500#'s on the bar and pick it up, I swear it was like time stopped. The gym got quiet (it was only about a 20x30 foot room, but everyone stopped lifting and listened to me cussing while I picked that up.
Beast.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:00 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
I actually dislike the staring,..but have accustomated to it anyway

but SoCals experience sounds like fun

I bet no punk was trying to piss you off at any occasion there,..

Old 05-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned
Most of the guys I worked with were beasts too; they just had fears of hurting their backs doing DL's. Picking up a lot of weight is just one of those things that garners attention. One of the guys I worked out with could DL around 675. Of course, he was 6'7" and 290.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
gfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond repute
Enjoy heavy DL while you are young, guys.
Never met a guy over 50 who continues to do this as part of his resistance work-out.
They say the knees are the first to go, but I believe it is the lower back - Ha!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
Just gotta do them right

Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Finally got out of the crappy little community center gym I was at and into a brand new LA Fatness. To celebrate I did an actual bench workout. Warmup with 5 minutes on the fake concept II, then flat bench 135x10, 155x5, 175x5, 185x3, then supersetted incline and decline bench x3, followed by supersetting dipsx10 with leg raises. x3.

That was a nice fun welcome back to a real gym and gave me a surprising amount of energy today. They also have 3 real squat racks so I can kiss my modified smith squat and 1 leg DB squat combo goodbye! Back to real box squats next workout, hells yeah!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:46 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Nice!

Those kind of fitness chains are the least PITA to workout imo
you can remain relatively anonymous,don`t have to greet everyone and his mama when coming in and mostly have the equipment you need.

But I`d rather opt for a Golds Gym or Powerhouse..
been to LAFitness and Bally Total Fitness as well while being there and the crowd seems to be a bit too fashion-douche-mainstream for me if I could choose..
at the first two one mentioned above the crowd mainly consisted of old farts religously working out every day,cops,firefighters,BBs and people that can`t really be categorized into any group
in n out - finished ,that`s how I like it

on another note,..do you correct people who obviously do it WRONG and are about to get seriously hurt (round back at deadlifts,squats,only quarter ROM squats/leg press but tons of weight etc)

Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Banned
If someone is obviously a meathead weight lifter and are using tons of weight, I won't correct their form. But if someone is new and has no clue and I can tell that they're about to hurt themselves, I offer a word of advice, or show them. Some high school kids were in the gym a week ago trying the use a GHD machine (glute/ham developer) and had no clue, so I showed them before they tried it using a weight plate and really messed themselves up.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
This gym is minutes from my place, brand new and big enough that I'll never wait for a rack or bench. Don't really care about the people that much as long as they don't bother me. Mostly they're on the cardio machines anyway.

I do miss my old gym in Vegas.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread