Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by big_slacker
I guess I don't understand what you mean by putting on muscle mass but not bulking up. Putting on muscle mass by definition is bulking up.
I have a story related to this post:

Since I got back to Iraq in November, I added 5 pounds to my weight over a 3 month period (went from ~220 around 15% bf to 225 around 10% bf). I toned up and added size a bit more up top, and leaned out in my midsection, legs, and waist. I went to get my suit tailored at Nordstroms this past Monday, and had to have 4 inches taken in at the waist, 2 in the legs, and they had to bring in the sides to match the waist.

The point of this story is that IMO you don't necessarily have to "bulk up" while putting on muscle mass. There will be definite muscle/fat replacement going on once you dedicate yourself to a fitness and diet regimen.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Good on you for doing it. Its very uncommon to see someone both cut BF and gain lean mass all at once. I'm no fan of the bodybuilder/wanna be bodybuilder method of massive bulk and cuts. Not the healthiest way to do things. But I wouldn't advise someone to set out with the goal of cutting fat and adding muscle at the same time.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I won't lie; it totally sucks doing it day in/day out. I don't like getting up and going to the gym 6 days a week, and eating the right way almost all the time. It gets even harder when you're around other guys that don't have the same aspirations in the gym/physically that you do. Just stick to what works for you, and you'll be fine.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Originally Posted by SoCal
I won't lie; it totally sucks doing it day in/day out. I don't like getting up and going to the gym 6 days a week, and eating the right way almost all the time. It gets even harder when you're around other guys that don't have the same aspirations in the gym/physically that you do. Just stick to what works for you, and you'll be fine.
This...^^^

cannot be any more real then that...thank god for cheat days...mines today...SCORE!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Gator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond repute
21 mile week

“Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't"

Old 02-27-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Saturday morning workout:

Five rounds for time of 20lb (25lb last set) overhead lunges (I used dumbbells), 21 burpees completed in ~ 25 minutes.

Saturday evening workout:

Cindy - complete as many rounds in 20 minutes of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 squats. 23 sets + 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 1 squat.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Speaking of Crossfit..

And OMG she's lifting weights and not the size of Arnold! Who would have thought.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
^ That pic made my mouth water.

Just did 21-15-9 sumo dead lift high pulls and overhead squats in 8:07 (felt like crap).

Followed that with 3 sets of treadmill sprints (incline at 3), 20 push ups and 20 lying leg lifts.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
My workout today was a couple hours of snowboarding. I just did some easy full body KB work with a 35 pounder as well.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
I've been pretty rubbish at the gym lately, but I'm felling strong as fvck so this week I'll start a new diet and try to see if I can gain some more mass.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread