Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
Crossfit is an incredible program, but like any franchised program, don't think for a second there are not ways to get in equivalent if not better shape. I am not a trainer and by no means am I in "SoCal" shape but I will say for people who have been doing varied-regimen circuit training in different fashions with more challenging exercises, Crossfit really is not the end all.

The one thing I have noticed just perusing some of the sites is that it seems not every gym varies the weightlifting as much - meaning I see some gyms that only do high rep/low weight rather than changing methods more frequently? I imagine this simply reflects the desires of the gym owner? Some programs look SICK, others kinda meh.
Programming does vary from box to box. You know I'm smarter than to think that Crossfit is the be all end all! However, I will say that I think it is one of few superior ways to train right now. We have triathletes come in and get their asses absolutely handed to them. We've had local pro athletes come in and get their asses absolutely handed to them. I appreciate that not everyone is going to have the desire to do it but as far as time invested:results goes I've never seen anything that can match Crossfit. I'm not claiming that I've tried everything but I know people who have tried a lot of different things and never seen results like they do with CF. The other thing I really like about it is that it's mostly functional movements. Which brings me back to programming .... all programming, while different, does follow certain logic. There may be weeks that focus more on OLY lifts and weeks that focus more on cardio. Some will be a constant mix of the strength movements and cardio. My point is that recovery and healing are considered in programming in additional to overall conditioning. Consistency in training patterns is not something you will find in Crossfit. If anything its the opposite.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GLN
there should be a separate thread for you crossfit homos. i'm sick of tired of coming in here and seeing your little sketches on whiteboards.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
FINALLY got to lift yesterday. Since it's been quite a period of food poisoning, travel, sickness, more travel I just worked at home with light dumbells. So warmup with BW stuff, DB swings, then bicep curls, OH tricep press, one arm floor press, upright row, front squats, SLD, supermans, situps. Some shadowboxing at the end.

This workout felt GREAT after a layoff. No PL or oly stuff here, lighter weights (heaviest DB was 45 lbs) and concentrating on muscle contraction on every rep. The opposing muscle groups were done in a back to back style. I got the idea for this after reading about Steve Reeves, the last great pre-steroid era BB.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by bmoores
Programming does vary from box to box. You know I'm smarter than to think that Crossfit is the be all end all! However, I will say that I think it is one of few superior ways to train right now. We have triathletes come in and get their asses absolutely handed to them. We've had local pro athletes come in and get their asses absolutely handed to them. I appreciate that not everyone is going to have the desire to do it but as far as time invested:results goes I've never seen anything that can match Crossfit. I'm not claiming that I've tried everything but I know people who have tried a lot of different things and never seen results like they do with CF. The other thing I really like about it is that it's mostly functional movements. Which brings me back to programming .... all programming, while different, does follow certain logic. There may be weeks that focus more on OLY lifts and weeks that focus more on cardio. Some will be a constant mix of the strength movements and cardio. My point is that recovery and healing are considered in programming in additional to overall conditioning. Consistency in training patterns is not something you will find in Crossfit. If anything its the opposite.
oi! I know you aren't like that, innit!

I am not surprised. When you think about, triathletes = endurance (look at a distance runner vs. a sprinter). Pro athletes like football players and such do one particular kind of training.

I think generally speaking Crossfit is the best solution out there. I am glad it is popular, keep in mind I do a similar type of training but not quite the same thing. The US on the whole needs to stuff like this to catch on, along with healthier diets . I was curious about the programs laid out in some of the "WOD" blogs.

The only thing I would say would be cool to see from the limited amount I've observed, would be to add some balance elements to the workouts. It's a whole new world on one leg, or a bosu, swiss ball, foam pad, etc.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
I have tried it and done it. As well as my own gym's type of crossfit program.

My personal trainer at ASU [Toby Wright, from the St. Louis Rams] use to make me do a program very similar to cross-fit.

I'm not saying it's a bad program, I'm just saying that it's boring coming in here and seeing that crap.

Anyways, what was the weight Jason said he could leg press? Also what's your height and weight?

I'm 5'9, between 165-170 pounds. I work legs once a week, but had taken the past 2 weeks off (for legs). I got on the leg press on Friday with 405lb on it, and did 4 sets of 10. Haven't been able to walk straight since. Didn't Jason say he did ~600lb with sets of 20reps? I wanna see that video nearly just as bad as SoCal doing his pull ups.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond repute
You guys say CrossFit is hard... Just wait till you try XC Running...

Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GLN

My personal trainer at ASU [Toby Wright, from the St. Louis Rams] use to make me do a program very similar to cross-fit.

I'm not saying it's a bad program, I'm just saying that it's boring coming in here and seeing that crap.

Anyways, what was the weight Jason said he could leg press? Also what's your height and weight?

I'm 5'9, between 165-170 pounds. I work legs once a week, but had taken the past 2 weeks off (for legs). I got on the leg press on Friday with 405lb on it, and did 4 sets of 10. Haven't been able to walk straight since. Didn't Jason say he did ~600lb with sets of 20reps? I wanna see that video nearly just as bad as SoCal doing his pull ups.
But...but... Jason skies and SoCal is in the army!!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bmoores
Marc from what you've shared in the past the women you keep should be keeping you plenty young. See if there is a Crossfit Affiliate nearby. We've got a couple dozen plus 40 year old members that are in incredible shape.

LOL they can also make you old quickly...there happens to be a cross fit about 500 feet from my office I am the green arrow they are the circle I attempted LOL and the other arrow...

Name:  cross fit.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  21.7 KB

Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by GLN

pvssy!!!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
^^I think CF guys do kipping pullups which should REALLY be considered a different exercise from dead hang pullups. You simply cannot bang out reps like CF guys do with dead hangs.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread