Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
interesting discussion folks, keep at it

anyway based on rob riches' videos, i have been doing weights first then cardio. i used to do it the other way round, which i found was great for stamina, endurance, and overall weight loss - oh this IS contrary to what i have read in theory as well so it fits to the discussion above

anyway, crazyruskie's thread about reps and power + rob riches advice made me change the method at which i lift, esp biceps

now, personally with biceps, i don't judge my strength based on how much i can lift in biceps the next split; but judge that based on PULL UPS

sure enough, i managed to do 3 full sets of proper pull ups (rear, raising with my neck ahead of my elbows' alignment) and i continued to work lats and back with added weights relying on short distances to emphasize the biceps contraction

point being: yes i am ~86kg so at least 5kg less than when i first started and thus less bodyweight to pull up; but that also means i am eating less (i train fasting most of the time btw just water), but lifting heavy fasting and then eating wholefood and overcompensating on protein will make you stronger

good luck!!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
I`m not butt hurt or anything..
I try my best to help people from personal experience and hard facts aquired over the years by constant learning/reading.
But in the end everyone should do what he thinks is the best for him and makes most of fun

Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
btw today, tuesday, marks 4 weeks since i started the whole diet thing. so 28 days, 5kg loss, definitely stronger, definitely fitter. fit into my 31" baggy jeans and i love the results.

was praying for 85.0kg but i DID see 85.9 and 85.8 today and yesterday post-workout so i'll pat myself on the back and give myself another 4 weeks to reach 80kg

i was aiming for 80kg and stop but now i am thinking f that and aiming for 75

Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
I`m proud of you bro!
well done!!

keep it up!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Of course more than one thing can work. You also have to be ok with admitting what you thought you knew was wrong, and that alone is hard for most people - and open to trying different approaches when evidence suggests you may benefit.

People can be successful in spite of themselves too.

In terms of scientific studies though, the post on leangains (written by a guy who has maintained 5.5% bf for 3 years...) says it best:
Unfortunately, while this article might have opened a few people’s eyes, I fear that it might be for naught when it comes to the great majority. At least for the mainstream crowd who prefers anecdotes and muscle magazines over science-based articles such as this one. Just have a look at the comments in this thread on comedian Joe Rogan’s forum:

“He 'debunked' those ideas by his own logic and his interpretation of various studies. It wasn't very convincing.”

The only reason it wasn’t convincing enough for this clown was that he could not understand the abstracts my links pointed to. That’s assuming he even took the time to read the article (likelihood: 0.01%).

However, I’m not surprised. The Average Joe (or should I say "Average Bro"?) seems to think everything is up for “interpretation,” which is a load of bullshit. There are objective truths to be found if you look for them. But finding them takes time, requires some effort. Most people shy away from it. Getting spoon-fed is more comfortable. That's OK, because not everyone wants to read some basic nutrition and physiology textbooks. But at least be humble enough to understand that your opinion is not one that you have formed on your own.

As i see it, the problem is twofold in the sense that outliers, the majority of which have severe methodological flaws, often get all of the attention (i.e. the boxers study). The other problem is that many accepted “truths” are based on the conclusions drawn from correlational studies (i.e. meal frequency and breakfast skipping). This is what trickles down and is presented to the mainstream and they swallow it; hook, line, and sinker.

And even then, when the mass media for once debunks a myth, some people just cover their ears and go "lalalala," saying things like:

“I just read it. I'm still not buying it though.”

From the Joe Rogan forum thread, in response to the New York Times article that debunked the meal frequency myth. What a sheep.

There are plenty of more comments along those lines. Makes for some half-decent entertainment. For someone stranded on an abandoned island that is. Note that no one presented evidence that contradicted this article and the conclusions I have presented. Critique is fine but not when it cannot be backed by anything else than gym lore. Fortunately, some people are smarter than that.

This is my biggest frustration with this industry. Those that scream loud enough win - the supplement companies, mass media "health experts" and diet gurus with Magic Pills and Secret Methods to sell.

Someone who is unfamiliar with my background may easily mistake me and my writings for the latter and believe I have presented evidence that would somehow favor my methods, which I have not. This is unfortunate but understandable since almost everyone else in this industry tends to do it. It leads to much confusion as laypersons think everyone is trying to sell them something. For them, finding objective facts is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

But remember: never once have I said, or claimed, that I believe everyone needs to convert to intermittent fasting - or even that it is proven to be superior to a regular healthy diet. The research surrounding intermittent fasting is very interesting but it's too early to draw any definitive conclusions.

I am still of the opinion that the best diet is the one you can stick to in the long term. However, the decision should be based on personal preference and not neurotic adherence to a diet built on faulty and bad science.
books, studies, science.... who needs it

Last edited by cstroked; 04-17-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Question:

Gym wear:
Tank tops, t-shirts and/or tech-fit clothes?
Shorts or pants and/or tech-fit clothes?
Running shoes, sneakers or some other speciality?

Techfit can also be "functionality-clothes" if you get my point.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
It really depends on the season and weather,...

but

I LOVE the Nike DryFit stuff and have at least one piece of that on

Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
I know you are quite z fashionista there strebo, and while you would prefer yoga pants, a tank and little booties: I go t shirt/b-ball shorts with underarmour compression tee and compression shorts underneath, have some nike drifit like ECB which I love as well. Can't go wrong either way!

I also like to stand around the bench press for an hour and look at myself while I talk on my cell phone. That always helps your appearance.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Lumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond repute
Didnt go to the gym today so tired only 4 hours of sleep
As for gym clothes
Mostly sweatpants jerseys and hoodies

Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by boursachi
btw today, tuesday, marks 4 weeks since i started the whole diet thing. so 28 days, 5kg loss, definitely stronger, definitely fitter. fit into my 31" baggy jeans and i love the results.

was praying for 85.0kg but i DID see 85.9 and 85.8 today and yesterday post-workout so i'll pat myself on the back and give myself another 4 weeks to reach 80kg

i was aiming for 80kg and stop but now i am thinking f that and aiming for 75
Fantastic!

Just one thing - I'm 72kg and I wear 31" inch pants.. you must be carrying your kg's somewhere else?

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread