Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Dropped over 10 pounds and gained some solid muscle.
sorry but I have to tell you that this is just an "optical illusion"...since you have less bodyfat you might look more muscular,but loosing bodyweight/fat and at the same time gaining muscle is not possible (except if you`re heavily on )

doesn`t matter anyway...the looks are the important thing for you..

So congrats and keep on hitting the weights hard!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't posted here in a while because I've been out of town but that doesn't mean I've been neglecting my workouts especially those at Crossfit. The last two days including today were brutal.

Yesterday's WOD was called the "Zombie Apocalypse"
A) 4 rounds
5 tire flips
15 wall balls 30/20

B) 3 rounds
200m keg run
20 situps

C) 8 minute amrap
Cargo net climb or wall climb
30 double unders
20 lunges

We score by the total number of rounds that we do for "C". I managed to do 7 rounds.

This morning was the "Vengenance"
met con: for time....25 minute time cap. have fun
10-20-30-20-10 reps of
thrusters (35 lbs barbell)
box jump (20")
KBS (35 lbs)
**400m run after EVERY round

I completed it in 20:36.

Time to go skiing! LOL!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ECB
sorry but I have to tell you that this is just an "optical illusion"...since you have less bodyfat you might look more muscular,but loosing bodyweight/fat and at the same time gaining muscle is not possible (except if you`re heavily on )

doesn`t matter anyway...the looks are the important thing for you..

So congrats and keep on hitting the weights hard!
Are you a personal trainer? Why do you say this (didnt gain muscle) so confidently?

I say i lost fat because i visibly look better and also weigh less --- but at the same time my strength has increased in almost every single exercise that keep track of - wouldnt that be my muscles getting stronger? I also feel MUCH less fatigue in my legs after a long run. Leg muscles getting stronger/growing? it would seem so.

Just because i dont type a scientific post out of my workouts and plans doesnt mean i dont know what i am doing and how this works

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Are you a personal trainer? Why do you say this (didnt gain muscle) so confidently?

I say i lost fat because i visibly look better and also weigh less --- but at the same time my strength has increased in almost every single exercise that keep track of - wouldnt that be my muscles getting stronger? I also feel MUCH less fatigue in my legs after a long run. Leg muscles getting stronger/growing? it would seem so.

Just because i dont type a scientific post out of my workouts and plans doesnt mean i dont know what i am doing and how this works
I have always understood it to be next to impossible to add lean muscle while shedding body fat. Could be wrong, but I'm inclined to believe it as that's come from two trainers (one being a heavy weight body builder) and also a former IFBB competitor.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
From my understanding, it is possible to gain muscle while losing fat, albeit it's difficult. However, the dead give-away here is that you're down in weight.

A pound of fat obviously weighs the same as a pound of muscle, but it doesn't have the same volume/density.

So if you were to lose fat AND gain muscle, you're going to weigh more.

What you most likely did was build muscle memory, which is still great, however that doesn't define as a "gain".

Does that make sense?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GLN
What you most likely did was build muscle memory, which is still great, however that doesn't define as a "gain".

Does that make sense?
that does make sense.

Perhaps i was just dropping fat a higher rate than i was gaining muscle? either way --- i SHOULD HAVE taken a before an after. 10-11 pounds lighter and now running 6-7 miles like i was running 2-3 miles.....and much stronger in the gym all around. Ill take it either way

Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Almost everyone you hear talk about it being possible or impossible to gain muscle while losing fat has zero evidence to back it up. If you're not measuring and tracking lean mass vs. weight (accurate BF reading over time) then you don't have a leg to stand on, you're just saying it because of what you or someone else looks like. Which is find if you're honest with yourself about what you're saying.

You can say "I look leaner and more muscular." It might very well be true. If you're not tracking though you're gonna get pushback from folks when you say, "I gained 10 lbs and lost 2% BF".

The kicker is, even if you're doing it or not doing it for yourself that doesn't mean it isn't possible/impossible with an different diet, exercise protocol, genetics, etc...

I will say this though, it's a hell of a lot EASIER to simply put on weight and muscle at the same time with a traditional bulk than it is to find a magical macronutrient and exercise plan that will let you do both. Likewise it's a lot easier and proven to cut fat while minimizing muscle loss using a traditional cut.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
Almost everyone you hear talk about it being possible or impossible to gain muscle while losing fat has zero evidence to back it up. If you're not measuring and tracking lean mass vs. weight (accurate BF reading over time) then you don't have a leg to stand on, you're just saying it because of what you or someone else looks like. Which is find if you're honest with yourself about what you're saying.

You can say "I look leaner and more muscular." It might very well be true. If you're not tracking though you're gonna get pushback from folks when you say, "I gained 10 lbs and lost 2% BF".

The kicker is, even if you're doing it or not doing it for yourself that doesn't mean it isn't possible/impossible with an different diet, exercise protocol, genetics, etc...

I will say this though, it's a hell of a lot EASIER to simply put on weight and muscle at the same time with a traditional bulk than it is to find a magical macronutrient and exercise plan that will let you do both. Likewise it's a lot easier and proven to cut fat while minimizing muscle loss using a traditional cut.

It's possible. I have the measuring device and the patient data to prove it.

That said, losing body fat and gaining lean body mass requires adequate intake of good food and protein as well as micronutrient. Starvation diets and VLCDs (Very Low Calorie Diets; WHO definition <800Cal/d or my favored definition <50% or RMR daily) don't give enough substrate to allow lean mass gains. In fact, even the "protein sparing" VLCDs result in a fat:lean mass loss of roughly 3:1 by weight.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
I lost 30 lbs on the crispy Creme diet....all muscle though

Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ajindfw
It's possible. I have the measuring device and the patient data to prove it.

That said, losing body fat and gaining lean body mass requires adequate intake of good food and protein as well as micronutrient. Starvation diets and VLCDs (Very Low Calorie Diets; WHO definition <800Cal/d or my favored definition <50% or RMR daily) don't give enough substrate to allow lean mass gains. In fact, even the "protein sparing" VLCDs result in a fat:lean mass loss of roughly 3:1 by weight.
but that`s probably all based on rather untrained individuals or athletes coming back from an injury, which experience a "shock" by the changes made to their systems.
Hormone outputs responding the yet unknown stress to the body is extreme
Since the body always seeks homeostasis,drastic adjustments have to be made...
And only then I agree that it is possible naturally

Other than that it`s quite easy..

kcal+ gaining muscle possible
kcal deficit losing bodyweight and in best case holding on to muscle tissue

the body would not add energy consuming tissue in a state where it actually lacks energy supply..

and the last thing I can add is that practical experience over years has shown to me that this is a common misconception and if you`re not a natural freak or something it simply won`t happen.

Last edited by ECB; 03-21-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread