Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
Please keep in mind my car has 1200 internet horsepower and I can run an internet mile in under 3min flat.
That's it?!?

Jokes aside, I have no problem acknowledging that CrossFit is not the be all, end all of fitness. However, I do believe that it is largely superior to 99% of the other "structured" fitness programs out there. The "elite" CrossFit competitors still do things outside of CrossFit to enhance their performances. I personally feel that CrossFit is the first thing that has ever truly helped me improve at just about everything I do. Running, Biking, Karting, etc. etc. etc. I experience far less fatigue and better overall performance as a result of how I train now. I'd be curious to hear Jason's impressions on whether or not it has positively affected his skiing.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
As for the kipping vs. dead hang comment. You won't hear any argument from me. I will say our Box regularly programs both movements into our workouts.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
What can I say...nobody else but us Xfitters seems to be saying anything in this thread.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bmoores
That's it?!?

Jokes aside, I have no problem acknowledging that CrossFit is not the be all, end all of fitness. However, I do believe that it is largely superior to 99% of the other "structured" fitness programs out there. The "elite" CrossFit competitors still do things outside of CrossFit to enhance their performances. I personally feel that CrossFit is the first thing that has ever truly helped me improve at just about everything I do. Running, Biking, Karting, etc. etc. etc. I experience far less fatigue and better overall performance as a result of how I train now. I'd be curious to hear Jason's impressions on whether or not it has positively affected his skiing.
I'll write more about my impressions on this when I get back. Going skiing now.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
I hate the term "Functional strength". What is your function? That determines what amount of strength will be useful. And even inside that there are different approaches to take. See the pics below, one guy does HIIT and strongman style training. One guy does triathlons and doesn't lift weights. Both are fighting for a world championship this year. Which is more functional?

Now, what is your function? For a lot of folks that aren't amateur or pro athletes the function is general fitness and looks. Does crossfit accomplish that? Does powerlifting and LSD cardio accomplish that? Does LSD cardio and bodybuilding workouts accomplish that? The answer to all of these is yes, so which you use depends on your body, preferred method of training, age, which goal is weighted more and so on.

Enough, I'm off to do my own workout which is neither xfit nor BB.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Banned
One of them also eats horse meat in his diet!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute

Equals:

Equals:

Old 01-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
I think some of you overestimate the benefits of crossfit vs. a different structure of workout. I think this is mainly due to the fact that a lot of it depends on HOW you do the workout, form, and so on. Now I have read that "crossfit would never stress time over form" but I know almost positively that every poster in this thread is human and therefore "perfect form" just isn't happening in every situation.

Just because you do power cleans, use kettle bells, and run doesn't mean you're the most functional person in the world. It's a great basic and functional workout, keyword being "basic" since you can go much much further than what crossfit offers to develop functional strength. Don't even get me started on those garbage kipping pull ups which were developed by gymnasts as a skill for getting on the bars. FYI, elite gymnasts practice dead hang pull ups because that is what builds the strength they need. That is straight out of a former Olympic coach's program.

Please keep in mind my car has 1200 internet horsepower and I can run an internet mile in under 3min flat.
+1 mang!!

Originally Posted by bmoores
That's it?!?

I'm with you on this one. Crossfit is one of the best, if not the best, generalized programs. I do however have a hard time seeing crossfit being better than a individual training program.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by big_slacker

Equals:

Equals:

He is an animal!! Love watching him.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
BTW-I'd like to get away from the "my workout is better" debate and talk about supps. I realized that drinking Monster every day was costing me $100+ a month so I cut way back. Now that was like my morning coffee, and I don't like coffee. Yesterday and this morning I was zombified with lack of caffeine.

A month ago I got a jar of neurocore pre workout supp through amazon vines. (Which is awesome BTW, free stuff!) I used it once and it tasted horrible. I was so hard up for caffeine this morning and wasn't feeling like working out. I did a scoop heavily diluted (like twice as much water as they recommend) and waited 40 minutes as directed. That schtuff works, no question. I killed my workout, last set on my intervals I went 1:45 instead of 1:00 cause I had more in the tank. I was equally energetic on the weights.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread