Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Just finished 20 laps....bs, fs, bf. whew

Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by slord
If I understand right, you had a little wider stance and went down with the kettlebell below your feet?

We did something similar on the tire, feet on each side, SDHP's below the ankles and up. Missing the balance factors of the bosu balls but still good.

As for my goals: strength and 'bulk' and a generally healthy lifestyle.

I'm 6'1" and weigh about 160. Looking to be more towards the 170-180 range. I like being skinny, but need to build up strength and add a little weight.

As for the healthy lifestyle, CrossFit 5 days a week helpa me stay balanced. Keeps the stress low and all that good stuff that comes from getting active, which I need this semester with how long my days are (17 hour day today). Just helps me keep a solid routine, a good sleep schedule, and really just make me feel better all around.

As for sports, I'm not playing hockey anymore but I guess this will only help in the upcoming pond hockey tournaments
Not terribly wide. Bosu balls are great but I really feel they're just for you to learn how to balance. I use them for pistol squats and some core but when I stand on them it's usually upside down since I find that harder. The balance pods and swiss ball are the real challenge. I would wager that is far tougher than a tire.

Crossfit probably isn't doing you any favors given your goals. I am naturally built like a string bean so I feel like I can kind of speak to this issue being that I am a hard gainer.

Try 1g protein for every lb of desired body weight.

You would do well to cut Crossfit back to 2 or even 1 day per week and take a similar program which rotates you through cycles of high reps, hypertrophy, and strength training. I took a program recommended by a member here and modified it to suit my style by cutting back to 2wk rotations from 6wks per my trainer's recommendation.

2wks 4x10-15

2wks 4x 10 8 6 4 or 8 6 6 4 increasing weight

back to 4x10-15

2wks 4x 5 3 2 1 increasing weight

You still do your exercises as a circuit (I group 3-4 exercises together usually) and I do full body exercises save for the one day/week I do arms (like I said, string bean).

Naturally I am 6'2" 160 or so. I weighed in at 204, need to get back down to 193-195.

I do one day per week with a trainer. It's not boring since we never do the same stuff - the key is finding a trainer who knows what they're doing. Hate to stereotype but if you want to add weight stay away from the trainer who looks like a twig or one who is a round mound of not muscle.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
Would rep you of I could cs... On my phone

Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Crossfit tonight was great. Feeling amazing after it.

Warmup:
200m lap
30 jumping jacks
25 squats
20 roll outs
15 hindu squats
10 hindu push ups
x2

WOD 1:
back squats
press
tricep curls
bicept curls
shoulders crows?
good mornings

Using only the bar, no weight added
1:00 minute rounds with 30 seconds of rest for reps
second set 30 second rounds and 30 seconds of rest for reps

WOD 2:
hand release push ups
elbow to knee sit ups
ring dips
burpies
overhead kettlebell swings - with a step up in weight over normal (I know there is a name for this?)
double unders

1:00 minute rounds with 30 seconds of rest for reps
second set 30 second rounds and 30 seconds of rest for reps

pretty sure there was another exorcise in the second WOD but can't think of it right now.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
My WOD today was a hard day skiing in powder at the slopes. Legs were shot by the end of the day.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
Man I wish I was skiing again!

So today was dead lift and press day
DL
250x5
265x5
285x11
Overhead press
115x5
125x5
135x9
Kroc rows
80lbsx20
80lbsx10
Seated db press
60x10
60x10
60x10

By this time I needed to get back home so I would normally get one more accessories lift.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Warm up:

Two Rounds:

Run One Lap
25 Squats
20 Rollouts
15 Hindu Squats
10 Hindu Pushups
Stretch

Skill

HSPU (Pistols instead for those who did the HSPUs on wednesday), sets of:
2 - 2 - 4 - 4 - 6 - 6 - 8 - 8 - 10 - 10
WOD:

15 Minute AMRAP
3 Deadlifts (315/185)
3 Line Burpees
3 Deadlifts
6 Line Burpees
3 Deadlifts
9 Line Burpees

Pistols gave me some trouble, but the rest was solid. Tonight felt a little easy, but I kind of needed that.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by cstroked
Not terribly wide. Bosu balls are great but I really feel they're just for you to learn how to balance. I use them for pistol squats and some core but when I stand on them it's usually upside down since I find that harder. The balance pods and swiss ball are the real challenge. I would wager that is far tougher than a tire.

Crossfit probably isn't doing you any favors given your goals. I am naturally built like a string bean so I feel like I can kind of speak to this issue being that I am a hard gainer.

Try 1g protein for every lb of desired body weight.

You would do well to cut Crossfit back to 2 or even 1 day per week and take a similar program which rotates you through cycles of high reps, hypertrophy, and strength training. I took a program recommended by a member here and modified it to suit my style by cutting back to 2wk rotations from 6wks per my trainer's recommendation.

2wks 4x10-15

2wks 4x 10 8 6 4 or 8 6 6 4 increasing weight

back to 4x10-15

2wks 4x 5 3 2 1 increasing weight

You still do your exercises as a circuit (I group 3-4 exercises together usually) and I do full body exercises save for the one day/week I do arms (like I said, string bean).

Naturally I am 6'2" 160 or so. I weighed in at 204, need to get back down to 193-195.

I do one day per week with a trainer. It's not boring since we never do the same stuff - the key is finding a trainer who knows what they're doing. Hate to stereotype but if you want to add weight stay away from the trainer who looks like a twig or one who is a round mound of not muscle.
Originally Posted by eddiecut
I LOVED THAT WORK OUT! for some reason i was all about that one, and the one that was
100 pull ups
100 sit ups
100 air squats
100 push ups

cannot remember the name of that one.

dont get me wrong, you will get stronger, and bulk to a point, but with crossfit your doing such a high intensity work out that your going to cut down on the "bulking". if that makes any sense.
Originally Posted by eddiecut
hey slord, if your trying to bulk, you might want to trade in two days a week at Crossfit and do some lifting... the high intensity training that is crossfit wont build bulk. it does a great job of keeping you in shape and leaning you down.
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been considering this over the past couple days, and as of now my plan is to continue CrossFit for 5 days a week until mid-march when my schedule frees up a little, then continue 3 times a week while substituting the other two days with a personal trainer. As it stands now, CrossFit fits perfectly into my schedule. It may not be the best way for my goals, but it isn't hurting them by keeping me healthy, fit, and in as balanced life as I can be during my 22.5 credits. It really just helps me make it through the week between the WODs and the 'support' group that is my fellow Xfitters. I had a personal trainer when I was big into hockey and felt not only immediate results, but continued results throughout the season so I'm keen on the idea of enlisting a professional to help me along my goals. My true goal is to graduate (spring next year) at around 175-180. I've gained about 8-10lbs in the past two weeks from CrossFit, which I assume turned what little fat I had on my body to muscle. As of today I have about 5% body fat and weigh 160, but I am 6'1" so that' still plenty light. Like I said, I like being skinny, but would like to gain a little bulk. Basically to 'fill out' some, without any desire to become a 'huge; muscle guy.

Last edited by slord; 01-20-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond reputeSATURN_rob has a reputation beyond repute
Tried running in the snow, and was not pleasant! Everything felt numb. It's hard to dress just right for running. If you dress to much, then you get boiling hot; if too little, then it is feezing. However, ladies should be an exception- they should always dress in small amounts

Old 01-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
A friend in my Xfit classes is running a 5mile this weekend and I can't understand how she is going to make it to the end. There is literally 4-8 inches of snow over everything here.

Called Ice foot or frozen foot or something along those lines. Sounds terrible.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread