Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
Drop the 10 or so lbs I gained over the holidays. Most of that will come right off since there aren't 25 bowls of M&M's in the house

For you guys who use kettlebells I did something interesting a week or so ago. Took two air filled balance pods, set them next to each other (but not touching) one foot per pod, and did sets of 20 cleans per arm with a 35lb bell. Pretty nifty and adds a whole new element to the clean.. similar to one leg dead lifts on solid ground vs. on a foam pad
Agreed. I have done squats with weights holding them out in front of you just 10/20 lbs dumbells on a half moon ball. Works the core hard core.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
Agreed. I have done squats with weights holding them out in front of you just 10/20 lbs dumbells on a half moon ball. Works the core hard core.
I like the balance stuff a lot. Being able to clean, squat, push press, whatever a ton of weight is cool but it's amazing what happens once you the balance element is thrown in. I do circuit training on all days but since I've added the pods, swiss ball, bosu, foam etc it's a completely different game. You can make bench press a core exercise if you do it with one arm and your legs at a 45˚ angle.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
it also gets all those stabilizers going that are normally not working as hard. its fun to do squats on the half balls.

Even when your doing endurance you still need a good amount of protein.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
For you guys who use kettlebells I did something interesting a week or so ago. Took two air filled balance pods, set them next to each other (but not touching) one foot per pod, and did sets of 20 cleans per arm with a 35lb bell. Pretty nifty and adds a whole new element to the clean.. similar to one leg dead lifts on solid ground vs. on a foam pad
If I understand right, you had a little wider stance and went down with the kettlebell below your feet?

We did something similar on the tire, feet on each side, SDHP's below the ankles and up. Missing the balance factors of the bosu balls but still good.

As for my goals: strength and 'bulk' and a generally healthy lifestyle.

I'm 6'1" and weigh about 160. Looking to be more towards the 170-180 range. I like being skinny, but need to build up strength and add a little weight.

As for the healthy lifestyle, CrossFit 5 days a week helpa me stay balanced. Keeps the stress low and all that good stuff that comes from getting active, which I need this semester with how long my days are (17 hour day today). Just helps me keep a solid routine, a good sleep schedule, and really just make me feel better all around.

As for sports, I'm not playing hockey anymore but I guess this will only help in the upcoming pond hockey tournaments

Last edited by slord; 01-18-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Tonight was another good session (I feel like I've said they're all good or great :smilie)

Warmup:
200m run
10 squats
10 Hindu push-ups
10 top down squats
10 sit ups
10 jumping squats
250m row
X2

Skill set:
Front squats
Hand stand push ups

3,4, or 5 reps.
1 minute squats, 1 minute HSPU
10 rounds each

WOD:
50 DU's
40 toe to elbows
30 box jumps
20 front squats
10 overhead press
5 wall crawls

Destroyed the warmup tonight. Loving the rowing machines we just got here.

Got 34 DU's in a row tonight. 12 in a row after. Felt good.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
hey slord, if your trying to bulk, you might want to trade in two days a week at Crossfit and do some lifting... the high intensity training that is crossfit wont build bulk. it does a great job of keeping you in shape and leaning you down.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
^^^That's exactly what I want to do. Lean down rather than build bulk. Ironically, the opposite of what I expected has been happening to me. I've been gaining muscle mass and losing fat mass but I haven't gained weight so maybe that's how it's supposed to work. I haven't been taking that much supplements really. The occasional protein shake is all I drink.

Tonight's session at Crossfit for me and my partner was the "Cindy" workout which is

20 minutes of

As Many Rounds As Possible of:

5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 air squats

I managed 26 rounds while my partner managed 24. It was brutal. Definitely a good "cardio" workout.

Ben asked if Crossfit has helped me get better at skiing. I'd say that it has definitely improved my endurance levels especially when it comes to being consistent in skiing through those bumps/deep powder. My legs used to give out a lot sooner than they do now. My hiking times have also improved considerably. I'd say that I'm well on my way to cutting at least 5 minutes off last year's time doing the skiing portion at the Ski to Sea race this coming Memorial Day weekend. That portion BTW consists of hiking up 1500' and then skiing down a pre-determined route to the finish line where our next teammate waits for us.

Slord, way to go getting those DU's in a row! Keep up the good work!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 PM
I love my DUCKS!
Originally Posted by atomic80
^^^That's exactly what I want to do. Lean down rather than build bulk. Ironically, the opposite of what I expected has been happening to me. I've been gaining muscle mass and losing fat mass but I haven't gained weight so maybe that's how it's supposed to work. I haven't been taking that much supplements really. The occasional protein shake is all I drink.

Tonight's session at Crossfit for me and my partner was the "Cindy" workout which is

20 minutes of

As Many Rounds As Possible of:

5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 air squats

I managed 26 rounds while my partner managed 24. It was brutal. Definitely a good "cardio" workout.

Ben asked if Crossfit has helped me get better at skiing. I'd say that it has definitely improved my endurance levels especially when it comes to being consistent in skiing through those bumps/deep powder. My legs used to give out a lot sooner than they do now. My hiking times have also improved considerably. I'd say that I'm well on my way to cutting at least 5 minutes off last year's time doing the skiing portion at the Ski to Sea race this coming Memorial Day weekend. That portion BTW consists of hiking up 1500' and then skiing down a pre-determined route to the finish line where our next teammate waits for us.

Slord, way to go getting those DU's in a row! Keep up the good work!
I LOVED THAT WORK OUT! for some reason i was all about that one, and the one that was
100 pull ups
100 sit ups
100 air squats
100 push ups

cannot remember the name of that one.

dont get me wrong, you will get stronger, and bulk to a point, but with crossfit your doing such a high intensity work out that your going to cut down on the "bulking". if that makes any sense.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Eddie,

That one is also my favorite too...that's called the Angie and I killed on that one too.

What you're saying makes complete sense to me. I'm "exchanging" my fat with muscle mass I guess which suits me just fine. I was just talking to my buddy about how our bodies change as we get older. Our muscle tissues "separate" more therefore giving us more definition in a sense. Kind of like looking at a piece of beef that has less marbling. I thought that was interesting. No wonder why so many of those older fitness folks I've met have incredible definition. Even I've noticed more definition in my own body too.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
My favorite workout is the filthy fifty.

“Filthy Fifty”
50 Box jumps (24″)
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings (1 pd)
50 Walking lunges
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press (45 lb)
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots (20 lb)
50 Burpees
50 Double-unders
For time

A bunch of different iterations to it, but always push hard through these and always feel the greatest afterwords.

edit: here's a list of all the different 'ladies', or just about all of them. I think the actual CrossFit website has more, but not in this simple of a form.
http://www.tctotalcrossfit.com/page12794.htm

Last edited by slord; 01-18-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread