Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
I avoid most supplements. Protein shake with Syntha-6, quaker oats, a banana, spoon of peanut butter, and milk. Otherwise I try to not use those, and prefer to aim for a healthier diet. Trying to eat less dairy these days, but milk makes the best shakes.

Seeing how this week will go without trying any workout energy boosters for the evening CF sessions before I pick any up.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:20 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
BTW-I'd like to get away from the "my workout is better" debate and talk about supps. I realized that drinking Monster every day was costing me $100+ a month so I cut way back. Now that was like my morning coffee, and I don't like coffee. Yesterday and this morning I was zombified with lack of caffeine.

what we all have to realize is that your idea and my idea of healthy, strong, functional.... are going to be different! I loved crossfit, I think most people love it because of the competition and working out with others. But, it also does not accomplish my current goals.

supplements are good, and they help. Just dont go all out and have 20 of them to take a day.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not using any sort of supplements and it works for me.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by slord
Correct. Perfect form is near impossible ever time. Even with muscle memory after a long time of doing the exorcise, you will still have weak points, but form is one of the biggest priorities in our sessions at least. Practice makes perfect right? The struct of crossfit is what makes it so beneficial. Constant movement, using all of your muscles throughout the workout, all with a high intensity make it what it is. If you did all of the same in a 'standard' workout, taking regular breaks and sets of one thing at a time, you wouldn't see the same results. As far as overestimating goes, I don't know of any other routine that will get you in shape and improve upon that as much as CrossFit in 60 minutes a day. Maybe P90x, but most people who I've talke to that have tried both prefer CrossFit.
You're talking generalized workouts. As strebo said, any tailored program can easily outdo both.
Again, valid point. I think ben was comparing crossfit, to muscle building. A lot of guys walk around with big muscles and get huge, but only focus on a couple key exorcises to build size, rather than strength and when you callu pon them to do anything other than those specific movements, they can't on a level even close to what they could. As for the kipping pullups and gymnastics, CrossFit ties in a number of gymnastic exorcises (think rings). The pullups are a core exorcise, rather than strictly arm.

Too slow

my 2¢
By muscle building I'm assuming you mean body building? A lot of that image is due to meat sticks who only extend 1/2 of the correct distance per exercise just to pump up their muscles. All looks as you say. Shit is silly. But make no mistake, some of the guys you see who are serious body builders could rip up a crossfit program.

No excuse for the pull ups, as Ben says....

You want to do do pull ups with core, do dead hang pull ups w/ a leg lift. Or a pull up with a side to side knee tuck. Kipping uses way too much momentum.
Originally Posted by bmoores
As for the kipping vs. dead hang comment. You won't hear any argument from me. I will say our Box regularly programs both movements into our workouts.
Bloimeyy!
Originally Posted by bmoores
That's it?!?

Jokes aside, I have no problem acknowledging that CrossFit is not the be all, end all of fitness. However, I do believe that it is largely superior to 99% of the other "structured" fitness programs out there. The "elite" CrossFit competitors still do things outside of CrossFit to enhance their performances. I personally feel that CrossFit is the first thing that has ever truly helped me improve at just about everything I do. Running, Biking, Karting, etc. etc. etc. I experience far less fatigue and better overall performance as a result of how I train now. I'd be curious to hear Jason's impressions on whether or not it has positively affected his skiing.
Agreed it is #1 for generalized fitness. I think it is great on that front without question.
Originally Posted by strebo
+1 mang!!

I'm with you on this one. Crossfit is one of the best, if not the best, generalized programs. I do however have a hard time seeing crossfit being better than a individual training program.
+1 for z #1 sma-man!
Originally Posted by big_slacker
BTW-I'd like to get away from the "my workout is better" debate and talk about supps. I realized that drinking Monster every day was costing me $100+ a month so I cut way back. Now that was like my morning coffee, and I don't like coffee. Yesterday and this morning I was zombified with lack of caffeine.

A month ago I got a jar of neurocore pre workout supp through amazon vines. (Which is awesome BTW, free stuff!) I used it once and it tasted horrible. I was so hard up for caffeine this morning and wasn't feeling like working out. I did a scoop heavily diluted (like twice as much water as they recommend) and waited 40 minutes as directed. That schtuff works, no question. I killed my workout, last set on my intervals I went 1:45 instead of 1:00 cause I had more in the tank. I was equally energetic on the weights.
I like ACG3. I have used NO-Xplode, MRI Black Powder, Jack3d, Cellucor C4, and ACG3. NO-X and Black Powder have fillers from my understand... so I switched to Jack3d. It has creatine monohydrate vs. the non-mono hydrate in ACG3. I prefer ACG3 out of all of them. C4 was a waste in my opinion.

I think I spend $45 every 35 or so days on ACG3.

I am not big on supplements but pre-workout stuff I do see as being important because it lends you some sort of consistency. Just my opinion.
Originally Posted by strebo
I'm not using any sort of supplements and it works for me.
You're using skinny jeans. Does not compute!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
^^ your right, I didn't specify. A personal trainer and a custom program along with nutrition will out do crossfit hands down

None the less, another crossfit class down tonight. Light showing due to the weather, but still good.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
^^ your right, I didn't specify. A personal trainer and a custom program along with nutrition will out do crossfit hands down
I do both. Crossfit and personal training. It's worked well for me. I worked with a personal trainer for 10 years but truthfully I was getting bored. Crossfit has given me the added edge I was looking for. Having both works well for me.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
I do a lot of cross training personally. Typical week includes swimming, running, lifting, yoga and cardio/resistance training. I love to workout ever since I was a pudgy bastard...luckily that is not the case now. If anyone would like a workout put together I am a trainer for my command in the Navy....I promise it will work.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh yeah and no need for supplements... Most people eat too much protein during their day anyways. And if you want more energy go to sleep at night

Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Tonights

tuesday, january 17, 2012
WOD January 17, 2012
Warm Up:

2 Rounds:

1 Lap
10 Squats
10 Hindu Pushups
10 Situps
10 Top to Bottom Squats
10 Jumping Squats
250m Row
WOD 1:

RX:

AMRAP 8 Minutes:

30 OHS (135/95)

100 Cal Row

Modified:

AMRAP 8 Minutes:

10 OHS

Run 1 Lap

WOD 2:

30 Hand Release Pushups
50 DU
160m Walking Lunges (45/25 Dumbbells)
50 DU
30 Toes to bar
50 DU
30 Ground to Overhead

Fvckin hate double unders now.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
Oh yeah and no need for supplements... Most people eat too much protein during their day anyways. And if you want more energy go to sleep at night
"too much protein" would be...?

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread