Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2RS Inventory hurting cars reputation???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
So what your saying is you want me to drive your GT2 rs?
As soon as I get break in miles on her you can drive it. But, you own any tickets and you have to keep it under car impounding speeds. The more I look at the car, the more I like it. Pics just don't do it justice. It will be a special car to me for a long time.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
i love porsche but you're taking a big risk when selling a car for 2$$k whose platorm has an aftermarket that can match/beat the performance claims(some with warranties as well!) as opposed to the GTO for which to match the performance would require astronomical amounts of $$$ starting with a base 599. Then as far as exclusivity goes, ferrari plays that card better.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
Ferrari sticks with the F1 because it's faster. There is no other reason. Customers want faster shifts and the only way to make it happen is to take driver error out of it. Or are you saying that every Porsche owner has flawless technique

The gt2 is not something IMHO that should be sold to the general public. On the high side I believe 40-50 people in this entire world are capable of driving a 600hp rwd vehicle at or above 7/10's. Unfortunately you then put it at a price point that most of those guys can't afford it and you've now created a bad idea. The 996 Widow Maker isn't much different. Yes the Turbo's on the newer cars are much better creating a safer environment inside it still doesn't make it right that Porsche sells these cars to anyone but professional drivers.

My opinion of the car is they are dangerous. I for one don't know why anyone needs this type of power. I guess I never will.
Interesting observations. I've owned quite a few cars, so here's some comments relative to your comments:

1) I agree that the GTRS is not intended for the general public. But I do think Porsche could have taken the route of GM and offered a 2 day driving school with the Car. My other 620hp car was the Corvette ZR1. It came with 2 days at Spring Mountain. Nice touch, a lot of fun and a great way to learn how to drive a very high HP car. By the way. The GT2RS, like the ZR1 is very docile and manageable under 4k RPM. A 620hp car is no more difficult to drive at 7/10ths than a 500hp car. You just need to know when and how to step on the gas.

2) As far as dangerous. It's the same as guns. Cars don't kill people, people kill people.

3) As far as the F1, I've owned a bunch of Ferrari's. With the exception of the SCUD, Ferrari F1's suck. I'd take a 6 speed any day vs. a std F1. The new F458 dual clutch is just like the PDK. Smooth as silk. It's a great technical achievement, but it takes the soul out of the car. As far as track, a paddle shift makes life almost too easy. Just step on the brake and grab the paddle. No heel toe or risk of over revs. Seems almost unfair. Both trannies have there place, but a 6 speed on a track, having to heel toe down from 160mph into a tight right hander is a true test of driving. Getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
savyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond reputesavyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
That's not flat out Savyboy and you know it. That car easily has mid 1:30's in it at Laguna. EDIT:::If that's your gt2rs
It is me and my 2RS in the videos. I have never claimed to be the fastest guy on track, only that I love going to the track. My comments were facetious. "Flat-out" and "Exquisite" were jokes. As referenced in the videos (second one is NSFW!!!!). I suppose I should be more clear when I am joking.

YouTube - Trackday Comedy - FLATOUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETmne...eature=related

Last edited by savyboy; 03-14-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by stuka
I disagree. Having owned a depreciation disaster of a car that is the GT2, I think the reason is that this car is just priced too high for what it is.

Which, at the end of the day, is a car that looks like every other 911 to most non car folks. Yes, even with the huge wing.

Look at what the 997 GT2's are going for, a few thousand miles and they are trading at not even 140K, WTF? And mint 996 GT2's? Even more pathetic.

Pricing the GT2 at 200K was a wrong business decision in 996, and is still wrong in 997. Pricing it at 260 or whatever they are for the RS an even bigger mistake.

People don't want to pay a quarter mil for a car that only looks special to car enthusiasts.

But don't get me wrong, I obviously loved GT2's, I just think they are priced incorrectly.
Depreciation hurts. Seems like a foregone conclusion now a days. My 09 SCUD depreciated over $100k vs. MSRP in 18 months. That car was an instant classic that was only supposed to appreciate. I'm willing to bet my 599 GTO takes a dive. I expect the 2RS to go down a bit too. If we take the emotional impact of money away, the depreciation doesn't make them a lesser car. the 997 GT2 is still one of my all time favorites as well as the 996. I wouldn't mind owning all of the GT2's. I try not to buy off of hype and to just buy off of "like". That being said, I'm going to be a sucker for the GT2RS Limited.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
The GT2 RS is an amazing technical achievement and is the ultimate modern/street legal 911 (unless you count the GT1) until a GT3 LE is confirmed. Who cares what some people say about the car, b/c more than likely they have never seen one in person, let alone driven one.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BBTurbo
As soon as I get break in miles on her you can drive it. But, you own any tickets and you have to keep it under car impounding speeds. The more I look at the car, the more I like it. Pics just don't do it justice. It will be a special car to me for a long time.
I'm going to hold you to that. I'm glad you're liking the car more and more, that probably because the GTO it's in your garage yet.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BBTurbo
Interesting observations. I've owned quite a few cars, so here's some comments relative to your comments:

1) I agree that the GTRS is not intended for the general public. But I do think Porsche could have taken the route of GM and offered a 2 day driving school with the Car. My other 620hp car was the Corvette ZR1. It came with 2 days at Spring Mountain. Nice touch, a lot of fun and a great way to learn how to drive a very high HP car. By the way. The GT2RS, like the ZR1 is very docile and manageable under 4k RPM. A 620hp car is no more difficult to drive at 7/10ths than a 500hp car. You just need to know when and how to step on the gas.

2) As far as dangerous. It's the same as guns. Cars don't kill people, people kill people.

3) As far as the F1, I've owned a bunch of Ferrari's. With the exception of the SCUD, Ferrari F1's suck. I'd take a 6 speed any day vs. a std F1. The new F458 dual clutch is just like the PDK. Smooth as silk. It's a great technical achievement, but it takes the soul out of the car. As far as track, a paddle shift makes life almost too easy. Just step on the brake and grab the paddle. No heel toe or risk of over revs. Seems almost unfair. Both trannies have there place, but a 6 speed on a track, having to heel toe down from 160mph into a tight right hander is a true test of driving. Getting goose bumps just thinking about it.
Good info. Here are my questions. First off I had a ZR1 paid for when they finally came out with White and stopped the truck from being loaded after seeing several reviews by Pro drivers talking about how it's too much power to manage correctly. I'm curious if you pushed yours hard and your take on it. Clarkson disliked it as well and I tend to like his reviews. I have no seat time in a ZR1 so I can't comment on it unfortunately. He also interestingly enough thought the 599GTO was like driving a LapTop, not unlike your feelings for driving your Scud. Have you pushed your 599 hard? He talked of his inability to feel the car and make it do what he wanted. Funny about my Scud I do enjoy playing with it on the track but know I have more fun in my gt3. I can't discount the fact that I'm 2-5 seconds faster in the Scud and it's all about exit speed and the ability to enter turns much harder because of it's more central feel. It's harder imho to get the power down than my gt3 and tends to seem lazy as you go through the lower revs but it's a great feeling car.

I won't call driving an F1 unfair because typically the entry and exit speeds are much greater with the more balanced Scud than my gt3 so I believe there are different issues to contend with all together. If the Scud was properly set up it would easily be even faster thru the corners.

I won't say that coming down from 165-180mph and going thru the gears into a 2nd gear corner in a race isn't fantastic but the craft isn't all quick downshifts.

Originally Posted by savyboy
It is me and my 2RS in the videos. I have never claimed to be the fastest guy on track, only that I love going to the track. My comments were facetious. "Flat-out" and "Exquisite" were jokes. As referenced in the videos (second one is NSFW!!!!). I suppose I should be more clear when I am joking.
Savyboy I wasn't trying to insult your speeds. It was just a quick observation after watching your two laps that your beast has some time left in it. You seemed very smooth and I'm sorry I missed your humor.

Please guys don't think I'm dissing this car. I'm one of the biggest lovers of Porsches there is. I can't ever get enough of them. My point with Stoppie was never about that. My point is simple not to discount a flappy paddle car when most likely every high end sportscar made in 2012-13 will be Flappy with no chance of 6 speed. Safety or not that's the trend.

The good news is people will always be able to keep their 6 speeds and hammer them hard. With Porsche you can mod the crap out of a standard gt3 and make it extremely fast. I have no doubt every bit as fast as a standard gt3 cup if properly set up with just 415hp and the generation one 997 Cups were good for upper 1:20's to low 1:30's at Laguna straight from Porsche Motorsport.

My point about Danger bb was simple. Does Porsche need another Widow Maker on their hands? How many of them died an untimely trackside/roadside death?

I still contend that the pricing of these cars and lack of sold vehicles is entirely about the economy. No question in my mind there is a less captive audience with things much more important than a new car in the garage on their minds. I think Porsche was just 2 1/2 years late in their release of this model.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
I disagree. Having owned a depreciation disaster of a car that is the GT2, I think the reason is that this car is just priced too high for what it is.
+1.

Having a brilliant GT3RS at only $130K is not helping either.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
^ he has a point

Quick Reply: GT2RS Inventory hurting cars reputation???