Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

Next-gen Vette gets small V8 says Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
clemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond repute
^^if all of that is true or close to true, this car will be soooo badass! I'm freakin stoked

Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
It was printed in Corvette Magazine and was presented to dealers. I'm sure most of it is a go and real. Still iffy on the weight numbers. I could see them shaving 25 lbs off the engine. It will also be interesting to see the transmissions available. Corvette Racing, begining this season, is using a dual clutch, 7 speed setup with paddles. I'm sure their tech and results will be used on the C7.

Sent from my DROID2 using Teamspeed

Old 06-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
1mperial STi is on a distinguished road1mperial STi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Simba
Considerably worse as a general rule of thumb. However, if the rated output is 400 hp, it will probably run very little boost.

Silly idea all around. They're not going to attract Ferrari/Lambo buyers with a vette with a small engine, nor are they going to attract vette buyers. I'll be curious to see the sales numbers, as well as whether or not the engine is built to take significant boost or is an eco-whatever afterthought.
They won't have to attract them. Assuming they're smart enough to build something to keep their numbers (track times, etc..) on top as they have been, the numbers will attract people who know what money is worth, especially in our economy.

I am no 'Vette fan, but I do respect the car. No matter the circumstances, I will always pick a Lambo Over anything. AWD FTW!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
diskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond repute
Keep in mind the average Corvette owner is probably in their mid-50s, and I'm only 25. This is a real problem for Chevy. They can have great sales with existing customers through the C7, but after that they need to attract younger owners.

When I drove a Corvette Grand Sport I immediately loved the power and hated the interior. The car felt enormous on the road, and it really isn't styled from the doors back. It's just... big and crude. It uses brute force to do power through what it needs to do, instead of using efficiency like the Porsches or the Lotus. However, all indications pointed to a car that wasn't as balanced as it could be on the limit. Maybe $3k in coil-overs would solve that, but I don't want to buy a car knowing I have to modify it to just meet my expectations.

If Chevy wants someone like me to buy a C7 or C8 instead of a 911/used V8 Vantage/GT-R, then I hope they address most of these issues:
1. Better interior - don't chase Porsche, just keep it simple, use nicer looking/feeling materials, and actually have it fit together. No more cheap ass steering wheel and seats. Hell, I'd much rather nice aftermarket buckets - Recaro Sportster CS or even fixed seats.
2. A modern rear suspension - I'm not asking for push-rods, just a common independent setup with coil-overs and a sway bar.
3. Smaller and lighter - Helps with everything from fuel efficiency to handling. Can they shave off about 200 lbs to get under 3000, which means under the 911?
4. Engine enhancements - why not build a smaller V8 with direct injection, a higher compression ratio, variable cam timing, and/or possibly forced induction. Owners will love a wider power band and better fuel economy, and tuners will absolutely love cranking out 500+hp from a base corvette with just a software tune.
5. Mount the engine lower and further back in all versions, like the current Z06, or move it to the middle.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Teamspeed Member
SpeedRob is on a distinguished roadSpeedRob is on a distinguished road
Diskreet you need to do some research on the Vettes rear suspension. It is fully independent. The only unique thing it has is a single transverse composite leaf spring instead of individual coils on each wheel. This is really not a big deal and is technically a higher tech solution than a traditional steel coil. But everyone hears leaf spring and they think it's low tech. It's not at all.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
diskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SpeedRob
Diskreet you need to do some research on the Vettes rear suspension. It is fully independent. The only unique thing it has is a single transverse composite leaf spring instead of individual coils on each wheel. This is really not a big deal and is technically a higher tech solution than a traditional steel coil. But everyone hears leaf spring and they think it's low tech. It's not at all.
I understand that. I also admire just how well they've made leaf springs handle. However, there's plenty of good reasons to make the switch to coil springs, a variable spring rate throughout the compression range being a major one. From an enthusiast point of view, being able to have a specific spring rate and a specific (separate) sway bar can mean a lot of flexibility in tuning.

(EDIT: wow my head is still in the Lotus lol. Fixed to say what I meant)

Last edited by diskreet; 06-05-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:18 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
3L Turbo V8? wow that's a tiny 8 banger.
not always a bad thing

Originally Posted by 1mperial STi
I will always pick a Lambo Over anything. AWD FTW!
RWD > all

Old 06-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ALMS21 has a spectacular aura aboutALMS21 has a spectacular aura aboutALMS21 has a spectacular aura aboutALMS21 has a spectacular aura aboutALMS21 has a spectacular aura aboutALMS21 has a spectacular aura aboutALMS21 has a spectacular aura aboutALMS21 has a spectacular aura aboutALMS21 has a spectacular aura aboutALMS21 has a spectacular aura aboutALMS21 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by diskreet
Keep in mind the average Corvette owner is probably in their mid-50s, and I'm only 25. This is a real problem for Chevy. They can have great sales with existing customers through the C7, but after that they need to attract younger owners.

When I drove a Corvette Grand Sport I immediately loved the power and hated the interior. The car felt enormous on the road, and it really isn't styled from the doors back. It's just... big and crude. It uses brute force to do power through what it needs to do, instead of using efficiency like the Porsches or the Lotus. However, all indications pointed to a car that wasn't as balanced as it could be on the limit. Maybe $3k in coil-overs would solve that, but I don't want to buy a car knowing I have to modify it to just meet my expectations.

If Chevy wants someone like me to buy a C7 or C8 instead of a 911/used V8 Vantage/GT-R, then I hope they address most of these issues:
1. Better interior - don't chase Porsche, just keep it simple, use nicer looking/feeling materials, and actually have it fit together. No more cheap ass steering wheel and seats. Hell, I'd much rather nice aftermarket buckets - Recaro Sportster CS or even fixed seats.
2. A modern rear suspension - I'm not asking for push-rods, just a common independent setup with coil-overs and a sway bar.
3. Smaller and lighter - Helps with everything from fuel efficiency to handling. Can they shave off about 200 lbs to get under 3000, which means under the 911?
4. Engine enhancements - why not build a smaller V8 with direct injection, a higher compression ratio, variable cam timing, and/or possibly forced induction. Owners will love a wider power band and better fuel economy, and tuners will absolutely love cranking out 500+hp from a base corvette with just a software tune.
5. Mount the engine lower and further back in all versions, like the current Z06, or move it to the middle.
The styling of the Vette from the doors back is what makes it what it is. Those wide rear arches are a thing of beauty on the GS, Z06 and ZR1. Won't address the transverse leaf springs (already been done...either you get it or you dont). Many on here and other forums seem to think that a McPhearson strut suspension is something novel

I'd never cross shop a Vantage V8 with a Vette. They are two completely different cars. One is a sportscar (and nothing else) and one is a GT car that gets beat in the performance dept by many others at a fraction of the cost.

You talk about how big the Vette is and in the same post talk about luring you away from a GTR ---- a car that is more than half a foot longer. Are you aware that a C6 Vette is the same size as a Porsche 997? The Vette also gets better gas mileage than both the Porsche and GTR.

Do you think Porsche should move their engine in the 911 to the middle as well?

The only thing the Vette needs is a better interior to lure some from the Euro's. However, even if they do up the anty on the interior there are still those that are badge snobs that wouldn't be caught dead in a Corvette or any other car made in America. Sorry, it is what it is.

Last edited by ALMS21; 06-05-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Just read from the Jag forum the XKR-S and saw the interior photos.

The Corvette needs an interior that nice. Even to stay relevant, which is necessary for sales, but is not a sales guarantee.

I only mention the Jag because it is like the British version or interpretation of the Corvette theme.

The Corvette interior should be like that only more 'vette styled (read: low, racer-like driving position)

Examples of what it should be more like...

What it is currently...

See what I am talking about?

I also strongly disagree with having the center console AC/radio area being turned towards the driver. Just make the layout more ergonomic for the driver so they dont have to reach for necessary things. Turning the center console is the least appealing solution for that.

Last edited by O2Supply; 06-05-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
6spd Panamera ftw!

Porsche has such spectacular interiors. The 911's specifically. It looks like really like no other interior. So simple and sleek, it puts almost all other interiors to shame.

Quick Reply: Next-gen Vette gets small V8 says Autocar