Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

Next-gen Vette gets small V8 says Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
diskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ALMS21
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I do agree with you on some of your "nits" with the Vette. Namely, for $105K the interior just doesn't stack up for me in the ZR!....

btw -- I seriously considered getting the 3LT option (non full leather) and going this route with my GS. This is an interior done by Apsis (has matching door panels as well but do not have pics of those) that would run you about $7-8K.
+rep

Now that's a dashboard that I could live with. That, with some nice aftermarket buckets, and a P&M or other steering wheel, would really make the interior a wonderful place to be.

I'm glad I cleared it up. I really want to like the corvette, all models offer awesome performance for the price, but there truly are some things they should address which can take the car to a whole new level. And none of them are really the sports car things, like handling or power, it's all interior and exterior style and materials.

Originally Posted by mattjs33
Diskreet, I agree with your response to this. No matter how good 911's get, the only compelling reason for their engines to be where they are, is tradition. If an engineer were to pick the worst place on a car in which to locate the engine, it would be hanging out back behind the rear axle.
I agree. It absolutely has to do with tradition. I know they don't want to move it, and I don't blame them. Although, I get the feeling that for every enthusiast who buys a 911 and truly loves everything about it, there are a handful of people who buy the Porsche and 911 badges and really don't know much about the car they are on (the "I'm having a mid-life crisis and I want a sports car, so I'll buy a 911 becuase that's what Fred, Bob, Stan, and everyone else I know has done" guys.)

Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Teamspeed Member
HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
GM could certainly improve the interior of the Corvette.. That's been long understood. The seats, and in particular, the steering wheel are a shame. Everyone who buys one knows this. The interior, as pictured above, can be remedied. However, interior tweak/needs aren't exclusive to Corvettes: look how many people change the flaccid non-sport seats out of 911's.

You can't get the same level of performance and an Aston/Ferrari interior for 'Vette money. Most people buying cars have to weigh their wants/needs. It's a trade-off. A base Porsche owner will value the interior and perhaps the badging more than outright performance. No harm there. Re overall performance, it's very hard to be close to a 'Vette for the money.. Especially the Z-derivatives.

As a Corvette (Z06) owner, I find the generalizations about owners unfortunate. Plenty of 'Vette owners can afford to drive whatever they want, but choose to keep a Corvette in the garage for the soundtrack, the relative performance, and to a lesser extent, the heritage. Whenever I drive mine, I am always surprised at how much fun they are to drive.

The new proposed powerplant will suffice and hopefully, someday, GM will at least offer different seat/wheel options. (seat changes are very, very expensive for the MFG due to crash reg. testing).

Last edited by HIRISC; 06-08-2011 at 01:19 PM.