Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

Lifting - Reps/sets etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
are you super setting? leg burn is definately a 'puke friendly' muscle movement.
Yes, first heavy squats then immediatly lunges and lunges and more lunges super sets till I cant walk anymore.

Love the feeling after a good workout, good thing the gym is walking distance for me because driving and shifting my car is impossible the hour after leg workouts

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Just want to reiterate here since Ruskie asked about strength gain and I'm now not on my iphone. If you want to be STRONG, 5/3/1 bonehead simple, works 100% of the time if you're not a pvssy. Stoppie approved.

Follow the link below.

Jim Wendler is the creator and author of 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training Method for Raw Strength. He is a 3 time letter winner at the University of Arizona (football) and has squatted 1000lbs in competition.

T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength

Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
100000000000% big boy, focus and intensity is what he's all about.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Because I said so.
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Great thread so far. I'll read up on that Slacker, thanks for the post.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SoCal
You'll build muscle, even with high reps. You just won't get as bulky as you would lifting heavier weight. I prefer as much weight as I can handle safely for 12-15 reps. That way, I gain mass and get a lot stronger than I would if I were just lifting the same number of reps with a lighter load.

The huge CON to this is the probability of injury goes up as the weight increase, because your form will breakdown as your muscles fatigue. Unless you have a dedicated lifting partner or trainer, stick to the lighter loads so you don't get hurt.

If you have specific questions, PM me and I will attempt to answer them.
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
20 posts and not ONE single person mentioned the most important aspect of working out, lifting heavy and gaining mass. (shame on you Raiff!! NASTY!)
Oh yeah? I didn't mention anything about lifting heavy? Quiet dickface...

Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
^ He was talking about intensity, not just moving heavy objects.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Because I said so.
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
What about rest time in between set? I usually just rest the length of time it takes for my lift partners to complete their set, should I be doing 2-3min in between each set? More/less?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
3 minutes should be enough. Longer and you're probably dicking around at the gym.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Because I said so.
Originally Posted by big_slacker
3 minutes should be enough. Longer and you're probably dicking around at the gym.
I'm probably getting only 1-1:30 rest between sets right now... wondering if I should up that to 3 mins or just stick to what I'm doing.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by CrazyRuskie
I'm probably getting only 1-1:30 rest between sets right now... wondering if I should up that to 3 mins or just stick to what I'm doing.
1 min rest will make you more anabolic, 2,5 min a little less anabolic. But the effect only holds for a couple of weeks.

Imho, for real strength training you need a little more rest in between sets than 1-1,5 min.

Quick Reply: Lifting - Reps/sets etc