Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

Lifting - Reps/sets etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Lumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond repute
3 sets:
20/18/15
increase the weight gradually

Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
For just strength I only do 3-4 reps and 5 sets, between al sets 2+min rest.

Not something you can do much more than once a week. But it works it you want to max out for a bench contest a few weeks later or something.

Building muscle you can do drop sets now an then, no rest in between and start with lets say: 250 pounds, maybe you get 8-10 reps, then 50 off and go on right away, then again 50 off etcetc untill only the bar is left and even that is too heavy to lift once..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by POWERHOUSE
I hate people who think 8 6 6 or similar is adequate. Do less weight if you can't get your reps in
And who made you the weight lifting guru?

I vary reps depending on a lot of things, they range from 3 to 20 I also do more than just 3 sets if the reps are low.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
3 sets
12-10-8

Sit ups or anything involving the stomach, i do 25 reps at a time.
3 sets.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
5 sets
15, 12, 10, 8, 8
My workout partner tends to skip the 12. If you would like a good workout pm me.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
For building strength I do two drop set variants, each 4 sets

8 6 6 4

5 3 2 2

Each time I go up in weight.

The sets of 8, 6, 6, 4 reps are more hypertrophy (build muscle mass) and the 5, 3, 2, 2 reps are more of straightforward strength building.

What I have been told by trainers and also read is that to build strength you generally want to go high weight low rep. I do that for a few weeks then do a couple weeks of 4x10-12.
Sometime 8x4 and sometimes 4x4. Depends on my mood.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:18 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by strebo
Sometime 8x4 and sometimes 4x4. Depends on my mood.
+1

but I never go below 5 reps,..
that`s just too much stress on my joints etc and mostly leads to bad exercise execution and taking the stress away from the target muscle while using more supportive muscles etc

but i also vary the reps depending on muscle groups and exercises

While I don`t do strength only workouts I think the best way is to do low reps,longer rest times and a lot of good fooooooooooooood

Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by POWERHOUSE
I hate people who think 8 6 6 or similar is adequate. Do less weight if you can't get your reps in
Funny, because I hate people who don't know what the fvck they're talking about

Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
New OG
samuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond repute
I usually start my upper body trainings with 6 sets of bench press and leg trainings with 6 sets of squats (10-12 reps for each). After that it's 4 sets all the time (some weeks it's 8-10 with heavier weights, others 12-15 depending how I feel), I never feel like 3 is enough.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
for more strength
i would shoot for 4 or even 5 reps (depending on safety) AFTER failure. i actually just tried that today with my bicep workout so kindly allow 4 days or so for results after i check with my pullups and curls

for building muscle
i would drop the reps and go higher weights. i don't believe in mathematics at the gym so the whole 20% or 30% is too complicated. depending on mood & supplements YOU will know what weight to shoot for.

negative reps are grrreat as well for strength and more importantly endurance

i will confess that FORM and posture do not go with strength and muscle building for me

Quick Reply: Lifting - Reps/sets etc