Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Health & Wellness (https://teamspeed.com/forums/health-wellness/)
-   -   Lifting - Reps/sets etc (https://teamspeed.com/forums/health-wellness/71649-lifting-reps-sets-etc.html)

CrazyRuskie 04-09-2012 07:48 PM

Lifting - Reps/sets etc

What do you guys like for building strength as far as reps per set, sets per day etc.

Right now I'm sticking to 3 sets of 10reps of whatever weight I can handle. I will be switching it up to a regimen I used to do (Don't have the chart on me, its at home, will post it up when I get home)

What do you guys recommend? I'm looking specifically for building more muscle/strength.

SoCal 04-09-2012 07:54 PM

You'll build muscle, even with high reps. You just won't get as bulky as you would lifting heavier weight. I prefer as much weight as I can handle safely for 12-15 reps. That way, I gain mass and get a lot stronger than I would if I were just lifting the same number of reps with a lighter load.

The huge CON to this is the probability of injury goes up as the weight increase, because your form will breakdown as your muscles fatigue. Unless you have a dedicated lifting partner or trainer, stick to the lighter loads so you don't get hurt.

If you have specific questions, PM me and I will attempt to answer them. :)

POWERHOUSE 04-09-2012 07:55 PM

3 or 4 sets of 12.

I will do 12 10 10 or 12 10 8 if I'm going up in weight ... "if I have to"

I hate people who think 8 6 6 or similar is adequate. Do less weight if you can't get your reps in

CrazyRuskie 04-09-2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal (Post 1283051)
You'll build muscle, even with high reps. You just won't get as bulky as you would lifting heavier weight. I prefer as much weight as I can handle safely for 12-15 reps. That way, I gain mass and get a lot stronger than I would if I were just lifting the same number of reps with a lighter load.

The huge CON to this is the probability of injury goes up as the weight increase, because your form will breakdown as your muscles fatigue. Unless you have a dedicated lifting partner or trainer, stick to the lighter loads so you don't get hurt.

If you have specific questions, PM me and I will attempt to answer them. :)

12-15 reps just 1 set? or how many sets? As for lifting with a lifting partner, I don't lift without a lifting partner... Both my brothers lift with me so I'm good there. I used to bench 315 but its been so long I'm down to like 245, need to work my way back up.

cstroked 04-09-2012 08:52 PM

For building strength I do two drop set variants, each 4 sets

8 6 6 4

5 3 2 2

Each time I go up in weight.

The sets of 8, 6, 6, 4 reps are more hypertrophy (build muscle mass) and the 5, 3, 2, 2 reps are more of straightforward strength building.

What I have been told by trainers and also read is that to build strength you generally want to go high weight low rep. I do that for a few weeks then do a couple weeks of 4x10-12.

CrazyRuskie 04-09-2012 09:11 PM

My old regime set looked like this (Not sure the weight amounts at this point, gotta look at where I would be)

6 6 2 2 6 8

Will probably start that again today and see how it goes.

big_slacker 04-09-2012 09:35 PM

Google Wendler 5/3/1 and read the philosophy behind it. IMO that's what you should be doing if you're concerned with getting stronger over time.

mafishman1 04-09-2012 09:38 PM

I usually do reps of 20-15-10 and add weight with each one of those sets. I try to pick the weight so that I can't do any more than 10 with that last set or struggle to finish it. But....I'm scrawny so I don't know what I'm talking about. :lol:

SATURN_rob 04-09-2012 10:39 PM

I usually go for 3 sets and 15 reps. Going for more reps with lighter weight is better for stamina/endurance muscles. If you plan on going for a lot of reps, you should feel a big burn by the last 2-3 reps.

h20skier 04-10-2012 03:25 AM

Did 4 sets at dinner tonight
First 12oz 9 oz 6 oz 3 oz
Second 12oz 8 oz 4 oz
Third 12oz 8 oz 4 oz
Fourth 12oz 6 oz 2 oz