Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't have to explain myself, but luckily for you I am in a decent mood, so I will give you a one-line explanation. I don't want the talk of steroids and other PED's to detract from what THIS thread is about: Nutrition and Workouts.

If you want to talk about them, feel free to open a thread on Supplementing. Please don't bring up the issue again in this thread; that is what PM's are for. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
Westside is great. A friend of mine was a power lifter and he liked a lot of their stuff, but he went on to adapt it to how he liked to lift. He was around 240 or so with a 675 deadlift - was going to bust it out in a competition but he got injured (non-related) right before it, so he didn't get a chance to go after the CA record. And I wish I could have these numbers at 160 - my strength hasn't really decreased but I know if I ever want those squat numbers again I'm going to have to gain some weight. My deadlift has remained largely the same, and the bench has dropped a few pounds, but I know my squat has been affected for sure. But that's not my priority anymore, so I'm not bummed in the slightest.

I've always wanted to try DH/FR, or XC! It looks so fun, but I've never really done any MTB at all - all of my biking experience lies with track, road, and BMX (interesting mix). A friend of mine rides XC though, rocks a Heckler with XTR. What's the build you're setting up? 6.5" of travel...gonna come in handy when you huck yourself, most definitely!

Originally Posted by big_slacker
Welcome! Bunch a stuff. Never done westside for skinny bastards, but I am a skinny bastard at 155-165lbs. Westside's methods have influenced my powerlifting training in a major way. At my strongest my numbers were just under yours at 160 lbs BW. Would have loved to lift more but it would have required some weight gain with my build (5'11" and lean).

I've been out of heavy lifting for a few years due to injuries and trying other training methods, but I've recently started doing Wendler's 5/3/1 method with my own mods.

I'm also a cyclist, but not a roadie. I do own a road bike, if you consider a single speed with MTB bars a road bike. Its mostly for improving fitness for mountain biking which is my favorite hobby/sport. I'm currently building a 6.5" travel freeride/all mountain bike for the summer.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
I was a BMX kid, tearing up the neighborhood, and am still a snowboarder at 36. So its kinda strange that I fell into XC mountain biking at all. I do like the "conquer yourself" mentality but I've done it to death riding fully rigid SS and HT bikes. Its fun, but a suffering kind of fun. DH and FR is just pure play and brings me back to my roots.

The current build is an Intense SS with a Lyrik coil front and DHX 5.0 rear. Hope pro2/stans flow wheels, saint cranks, thopmson elite stem/post. No weight weenism, strong first, light second. Should weigh in the high 30's but still be pedal/hill capable as its gonna be my only MTB and that means it'll go on XC rides as well even if thats slightly retarded.

Back to the weights thing, I moved away from PL for a while but I've always loved lifting. I'm starting light with the 5/3/1 and want to build up my strength again but this time watching out for injuries. Slow and steady. I missed my workout monday so I doubled up today.

Overhead press: 5x95, 105, 115. This is strict, not a push press.
Deads: 5x145, 165, 185. Tried narrow stance and standard grip. I normally pull sumo and alternating grip but with the lighter weights I wanna make it a little more challenging.
Dips: 5 sets of 15
Chins: 5 set of 15 was the target but I did 1 15 and 4 8's
Hanging leg raise: 2 sets of 10
Back extensions (replacing good mornings): 3 sets of 10

And then some pasta.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond repute
I need to start working out again. I want to "lift things up, and put them down", just having a tough time getting motivated.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
I'm probably the worst person to ask about motivation because I actually consider lifting fun and look forward to it. But maybe get a workout partner?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
I'm probably the worst person to ask about motivation because I actually consider lifting fun and look forward to it. But maybe get a workout partner?
Same

Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ptrans
I need to start working out again. I want to "lift things up, and put them down", just having a tough time getting motivated.
I enjoy the feeling of working out, being in shape, getting that "high" afterwords. Along with the group of people there. I find if you can force yourself to get there the first time, then the second, it just starts to snowball afterwords.

I'm pissed right now that I haven't been able to go much recently. Been so busy this month, which again i know is a bad excuse but iiwii. Once this month is over I'll be free from all this sh|t. Back to a good routine.

It's gonna be hot soon as well. Start biking, running, swimming.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Same here Slacker. I get aggro if I don't get to the gym every day...

Old 04-27-2011, 04:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ptrans
the best motivation is the sensation you will get AFTER your first workout. when the blood is pumping, and you feel alive, endorphins kicking in. it IS "a natural high", because you do feel elated.
you just have to trust me on it and go try that first day

but before that first day, i would say searching for pics of your goals works great as well. beware of the gay pics and poses though lol. of course, arnie pics are the best, but i am talking about fitness pics

also remember that if your diet is not in check, you will NEVER feel motivated. it is a matter of chemistry and biology really, with the effect that fats would have on your pressure, and the sugar on you crashing after that insulin spike. so eating a good amount of veggies and a good portion of lean protein, that clean & fresh feeling you get will make it 700 times easier for you to pack a gym bag

i am sure we have ALL been there, and for me personally, the best times (when i was single) was when i would keep my diet strict ESPECIALLY on the days that i don't make it to the gym.
i forgot exactly what date i started this time round, but it could not have been before April 10th, and i can honestly say that in less than 3 weeks, my body has transformed and i feel like a different man

i will conclude with saying this:
subscribe to a gym that has EVERYTHING, a good set of machines for all muscles, and a good set of dumbbells (i prefer steel than rubberclad); a good aerobics area where you can jump rope or work abs/obliques with medicine balls AND new and well-maintained bikes and treadmills + STAIRS machines (best thing ever) + swimming pool. this is to ensure that even when you feel down or that you cannot go and do what you usually do, you can at least pass by the gym to keep the routine intact and try something less rigorous

besides, most of you guys are in the states, so you get hotties at gyms right? wtf are you waiting for

Old 04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Gator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond reputeGator has a reputation beyond repute
4 miles in 91 deg and 41% humidity..... OMFG im exhausted

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread