Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
I know they have a lower GI (less broken down by rolling I'd imagine is the cause, hence longer to digest) but I guess what I'm getting at is the end effect on health being worth the prep time, especially considering its a breakfast staple. Not for me, my friend. I'm far too lazy in the AM.

Originally Posted by SoCal
Steel cut oats take longer to make yes, but they are proven to have increased properties when it comes to carbohydrate absorption and insulin regulation. Yes, they are AWESOME, in other words.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
I think BMI is a decent way to benchmark where you are, but it is a very flawed system based off of old statistics. I am 6'3" and 230 and it says that my health is in dire shape. But I am pretty damn solid, and have a BF of under 12%. I think you are good to go there Jon, and from the pics I have seen of you, you need to eat more and pack some muscle on there.
I'm getting pretty shredded right now...down to 163 as of today.

I didn't want to put on mass. Ideally I'd like to be shredded, not puffy. I don't like the look of weighted abs either.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Hence my reasoning for making them a week at a time Slacker. I also look deeper into the meaning of food, and I "take food" like a drug, because it can have some profound effects on the body, if done right. But I am not trying to get below about 10% BF, mainly because I prefer to be able to move quickly under heavy load and stress. I was under 10% the majority of the time I was a Marine, and to be honest, I was miserable most of that time; i.e. cold, hungry, weaker. I am much stronger and more functional at this weight than at 200 pounds and 6-10% BF, and a lot less muscle mass.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Certainly if you can achieve single digit BF while maintaining durability, resistance to sickness and endurance you're doing great! I've found that when I drop below 12% or so I'm more injury prone and illness prone. I also lose some endurance which is death for my sports.

Was gonna type a manifesto about holistic effects of diet, balancing performance based eating (and prep!) with an insane work schedule and so on but I realize that I have to go to work now.

Hence my reasoning for making them a week at a time Slacker. I also look deeper into the meaning of food, and I "take food" like a drug, because it can have some profound effects on the body, if done right. But I am not trying to get below about 10% BF, mainly because I prefer to be able to move quickly under heavy load and stress. I was under 10% the majority of the time I was a Marine, and to be honest, I was miserable most of that time; i.e. cold, hungry, weaker. I am much stronger and more functional at this weight than at 200 pounds and 6-10% BF, and a lot less muscle mass.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Another CrossFit workout earlier this morning.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
just signed up for Crossfit... Come tomorrow @ 7:30 AM i will be "attempting" my first class... As someone who has worked out for years and isn't scared to try much in the gym, I am actually a lil nervous about Crossfit.... This could be a very humbling experience!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:53 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
Crossfit, HITT, all those types of class are some of the hardest and most intense workouts I've had in my life.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
C money would love to know how it goes.

I have been lazy the last couple of weeks with being sick and not very motivated, and I don't like it.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
so i have been doing some ready and from what i can tell, using my "gym" shoes are a NO GO (New Balance running shoes)... From what I can tell i should get a pair of VFF (Five Fingers)... Any suggestions from those who have done or are doing CF?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by GuessWho
C money would love to know how it goes.

I have been lazy the last couple of weeks with being sick and not very motivated, and I don't like it.
If I can still type after my workout I will give a full update tomorrow around 10am.... Everyone please say a prayer for me tonight

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread