Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I am going to do Tuesday's WOD tomorrow: 21-15-9 of 225# deads and 135# OH squats. Should be nice and wore out after that.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
4 wheels for reps that high? This is one of my things with CF. What is that trying to accomplish from a training perspective? CNS exhaustion? And that's beneficial why?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Banned
Well, for starters, we try to gain a mastery of the following 10 physical skills: cardiovascular and respiratory endurance, strength, stamina, flexibility, power, speed, agility, accuracy, coordination, and balance. The idea of CrossFit is to move heavy loads (weight, obviously) long distances as quickly as possible, using constantly varied, functional movements. Those are the "CrossFit" answers.

My answer to your questions is because A-I want/like to be "Strong as fvck" and B-need to be ready for whatever life throws at me at any time. If I have to pick up an overweight person out of a blown up vehicle, and move them into another vehicle, or into a building 200 yards away, I am confident that I can do that. Training the way CrossFit Rx's helps me be ready for anything I might be faced with, and I add in my own couplet and triplet workouts, sprints, etc. I don't strictly follow the website's WODs; I mostly come up with my own. I hope that clarifies it some...

Last edited by SoCal; 04-01-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
So my gf is very lean, and just wants to tone up a little. She wants to add a protein shake to her diet. Curious when she should take it. She wakes up and works out right away. Cooks breakfast right after that. Should it before the workout, after the workout with breakfast, or as a between-meal snack later in the day?

Thanks.

Last edited by wyatth; 04-01-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
I would recommend she have it immediately after her morning workout. She could then push breakfast back at least 30 minutes but no more than 1 hr. Why not add more protein to her diet with a 1/2 cup of non-fat cottage cheese an hour or so before she go nighty night.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Banned
She could also take it an hour or so before she goes to sleep. That way, her body will process it while she is resting and more healing will occur. I take one directly after I workout, and another before bed.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
If she's taking anything before bed make it Casein not whey, it's slow digesting and it will keep her body full overnight where otherwise she's getting no nutrients at all. Well, at least that's the idea. I personally chow down on some cottage cheese and blueberries

Normal whey protein is for after her morning work out. It's absorbed and digested very fast making it ideal to replenish her body w/ w/e is needed.

Last edited by Tsar; 04-01-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
I know what the CF answer is, just wanted your take on it. From my POV if the goal is to be "strong as ****" standard powerlifting (EX: Westside method) will get you stronger. But it certainly won't get you better endurance, and squatting 500+ won't help you drag a fat guy out of a truck.

CF shines for GPP (general physical preparedness) like you say. I do kinda cringe when I see high rep, medium/high weight deads or oly lifts because you know form is gonna break down and thats when people get hurt. Exhaustion type workouts are ok from time to time to test yourself but they can be detrimental if you're doing them constantly.

Do you end up doing light days to recover between those types of workouts?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
Holy Mother of GOD! today's WOD

for time:
run 1 mile
100 pull ups
100 squats
100 push ups
100 burpees
100 push press (65/45)
run 1 mile

i crawled to my car!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned
See Big Slacker, that is where I separate my ideas from CF ideas. If it is a heavy (to most people) day and high reps, I won't time myself or who I might be training with, because I agree that form breaks down and you have a propensity to hurt yourself. If I am lifting under 225 or so, I will go for time, because I (personally) feel comfortable yanking weight at the end of a set of exercises with less than ideal form, only because I can do so and not hurt myself. It is when I get into the "heavy" days, where 1 bad rep has put me out for a month,that I really SLOW DOWN and focus on form and technique.

I typically workout 2 on, 1 off, no matter what I lift the day prior. However, I LISTEN HARD to what my body is telling me. Take today for example: I was planning that 21-15-9 with 225# for deads and 135# for OH squats. I was A-tired as f*ck all day, B-very sore from a fast triplet the day prior, and C-just didn't think it would be a goof idea to be chasing a 21 rep dead lift with 225. I didn't do the workout. Simple as that. And when I open my own box/gym one day, and jsut like I do with myself, I will be running warmups prior to the workout. I am very detail oriented and attentive to what is going on around me. If I see someone that I think isn't ready to do the WOD as Rx'd, I will either A-scale their weight down, or B-change some of the exercises in it.

I hope that explains my position better.

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread