Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
I follow you, I guess I don't understand the schedule part since if you want to add some muscle you could do so with three intense 30min work outs a week. I may have wrongly assumed you'd be more flexible if you weren't doing a class.

Judging by your meals you probably are already getting a decent amt of protein. For what it's worth (I'm sure you may be aware) an easy thing I try to do is match protein intake to ideal weight. For example, if you want to be 185lbs, take in 185g protein/day.
The scheduling is a big part of it, but as you say, yes I could do some 30min workouts and succeed. The simplicity of xfit is the best thing right now. I show up, work out, leave. Worrying about nothing else. I've been doing it for a while and I'm so swamped right now that I figure I should stick with whats been working, rather than change up and "upset the balance" or whatever. I could, and realistically should hit the gym to add more muscle, but I guess I've made the decision to postpone until later in the year to start the weight gaining workouts.

I haven't been keeping track of how much protein intake I get for each meal, but I think I'll write down what some meals have been over the next week or so and see where I'm at and see how much I would need to change to do the 1/1 ratio.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by slord
Doing the eating part, but still sticking only with crossfit. Tried to switch to xfit plus gym but was difficult to schedule it in with the course load. Hopefully after this summer I'll be able to do both and get a solid routine going over a solid 9-10 months to put on 10-15lbs.

As of yesterday I'm 6'2" and 163lbs.
Jayzus Cripes son! Eat something!!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
May not have the weight or strength that I want yet, but I exceed the standard that the Navy requires. Killed it on my PRT today.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Interested to have some input from the bodybuilding d00dz (ECB, Detailer, etc) and this musing may be useful for those of you doing high rep/ training for time:

I feel like since I stopped lifting for hypertrophy/strength I am tweaking muscles/joints easier than in the past. It seems like my joints have gotten weaker or maybe it's just that I'm getting older? Either way, I have tweaked my back when running, and stood up funny and seem to have irritated my knee. Makes no sense especially considering I am stronger than I have been. I never had these problems when I did extended hypertrophy or strength training.

I currently do 2 weeks of 4x10-15 reps, 2 weeks of 4x10 8 6 4 or 8 6 6 4 (increasing weight), then 2 weeks of 4 x higher reps @ same weight, 2 weeks of 4 x 5 3 2 1 (increasing weight) then repeat. Think I am going to try to do 6-8wks of hypertrophy to see where I wind up. These little nagging muscle pains and such are driving me nuts... If I bulk, I bulk.

Probably will change to this schedule:
explosive
hip/knee dominant
horiz push or pull
vert push or pull
core twist
core suspension

I usually group them in 3s and superset i.e. explosive, horiz push, knee dominant as a circuit. Go to 4 days/wk with one day being the harder training involving balance I have been doing which helps a ton. Maybe after 6-8wks of this do 2wks of unloading, lighter weights higher reps then back to it. Hoping it helps me out... any insight appreciated

Old 04-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin should help with joints. Also some AS and HGH can help with this, go see the doc of course, not your local gym rat.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
its a legs day.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Big fan of Tabata. Felt great today.
WOD April 6, 2012
Warm up:

Tabata:
Squats
Overhead Squats
Jumping Squats
Jumping Lunges
Tabata WOD:

Alternate:
Handstand Hold
Plank Hold
Alternate
Parallette bar pushups
Parallette bar dips
Alternate
Handstand Pushups
Squats
Alternate
Jumping Squats
Wall Sit
WOD:

Reps of 15, 12, 9:

Dumbell Squat Cleans
Ring Dips

Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
^^ Fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin should help with joints. Also some AS and HGH can help with this, go see the doc of course, not your local gym rat.
this is sound advice right here... you also might be over working your joints and muscle groups... it doesnt sound like it but, with that many sets and reps, not eating or getting the nutrition that you need, breaks down.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
update: 87.2kg today
3 weeks +1 day
i will stay conservative and say it is 4kg total loss, not 5

what i did in the last 72hrs is put load on my upper body (delts, heavy) and then work my abs and obliques (smaller, not size/def) and round up with stairmaster fatburner mode level 15 (max is 20)
finished by laying in sauna 5 or 6 mins

rested a day

yesterday walked 4km at an incline, following a stairmaster ride and working lower abs. only did biceps prior

dieting:
2 cans of tuna in water
3-5 chicken breasts
brown rice or carrots/broc/mushrooms/potatoes.. or both

purposefully not having a shake daily (usually 2 scoops ON whey with water) to make sure what i absorb is from wholefood.
i find casien at night to be great btw

goal is still weight loss to reach 83kg
from there on it will be new territory after marriage!!

going to stick to my diet and routine

supps are vpx meltdown + 500mg lcarnitine daily

Old 04-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Lumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond reputeLumma has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by boursachi
update: 87.2kg today
3 weeks +1 day
i will stay conservative and say it is 4kg total loss, not 5

what i did in the last 72hrs is put load on my upper body (delts, heavy) and then work my abs and obliques (smaller, not size/def) and round up with stairmaster fatburner mode level 15 (max is 20)
finished by laying in sauna 5 or 6 mins

rested a day

yesterday walked 4km at an incline, following a stairmaster ride and working lower abs. only did biceps prior

dieting:
2 cans of tuna in water
3-5 chicken breasts
brown rice or carrots/broc/mushrooms/potatoes.. or both

purposefully not having a shake daily (usually 2 scoops ON whey with water) to make sure what i absorb is from wholefood.
i find casien at night to be great btw

goal is still weight loss to reach 83kg
from there on it will be new territory after marriage!!

going to stick to my diet and routine

supps are vpx meltdown + 500mg lcarnitine daily
Hows the VPX ali?

havent been to the gym in 10 days
eating a Ton of junk, will be back to the gym in a couple of days

going to get some fatburning supps, as the one im using is a piece of $hit

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread