Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Ok u Gun owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
OK I had to LOL at this... the 1911 is not a suitable combat weapon? The reason the design is so durable (aka "outdated") is because it WORKS. If I had to pick ONE pistol to have, it'd be a Glock 19 - A) because 9mm is everywhere, B) high capacity, and C) they are nearly indestructible. But since zombie apocalypses, nuclear survival, etc. are all nonsense, I'll stick to my rusty, dusty 1911s...
I grew up shooting 1911s and still love to shoot them, but every time I meet someone who swears up and down how reliable and proven they are and go shooting with them.... They have at least 2 jams per 100 rounds.

My USP has literally never jammed, I bought it in the mid 90s, lol!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Not denying that 1911s need to be tuned, but that's more indicative of the wide varieties of ammo today than an inherent flaw in the gun. Keep in mind, it was designed from the get-go to fire 230-grain ball. Hollowpoints are a relatively new invention and a very easy fix for a gunsmith to iron out. My Kimber shot everything I could throw at it, even in mixed mags.

Like I said, if I had to have only one, it'd be a Glock 19.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
If there were a zombacalypse and I could only take one gun, I would take a 1911. Plenty of parts out there to fix it if anything breaks and while 45 isn't as available in other countries as 9mm it is pretty easy to find in the US.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd take a Glock 19 or 17. 1911's have a higher probability of failing to feed or fire, and I wouldn't want to take that chance. I've never had a failure to feed, fire, jam, stovepipe, or ANY malfunction in any Glock that I have ever owned or operated with. Period.

No, I do not work for Glock.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoCal
I'd take a Glock 19 or 17. 1911's have a higher probability of failing to feed or fire, and I wouldn't want to take that chance. I've never had a failure to feed, fire, jam, stovepipe, or ANY malfunction in any Glock that I have ever owned or operated with. Period.

But 1911s sound so much better when you're racking the slide while watching action flicks. That is probably pretty important to this OP.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Banned
^Agreed.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoCal

Thats why when my brother-in-law was looking for his first/only gun I recommended Glock. I recognize their simplicity and reliablity but personally prefer other platforms.

1911s may sound better in the movies but remember that Glocks go through metal detectors

Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Banned
Don't get me wrong, I own a 1911 and have owned several others. I just prefer Glock.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Redlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond repute
H&K USP compact 40 cal is my go to, with a kimber CDP 45 back up. Four dogs and alarm system serve as wake up calls.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
I dont own one but my buddy has a S&P M&W and that will probably be the next one I get.