Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

red dot sight on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond repute
Went to the range and sighted on the red dot last Saturday. At 100 yards, groups were at 2 to 3 inches. Pretty happy with it so far.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CarbonCycles
I have one on my SW MP15/22. Great little optic for how much it costs and it's built fairly well also. I wouldn't use it for your SHTF gun, but for a plinker, you can't go wrong IMO.
I just have trouble putting a red dot on that is half as much as the gun, especially for just a carbine for short range under 100 yard engagements.

Edit: Under normal circumstances I mean.... target shooting, not putting down a liberal rebellion in the country....

Last edited by Curvejunkie; 01-19-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
I just have trouble putting a red dot on that is half as much as the gun, especially for just a carbine for short range under 100 yard engagements.

Edit: Under normal circumstances I mean.... target shooting, not putting down a liberal rebellion in the country....

Agreed...that is why I threw that PA on my 15/22. The only few exceptions I would have to this rule is when you are looking at precision shooting. It's not unheard of for the glass to cost as much if not more than the rifle it's sitting on, which I'm sure you already knew.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CarbonCycles
It's not unheard of for the glass to cost as much if not more than the rifle it's sitting on.
^^^^ This... truth.

My deer rifle and the Nikon sitting on it....

Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
I can now attest to the fact that the one I bought is crap. Zeroed it, half a mag later its way off again even though everything is tight. As usual, you get what you pay for. *sigh* I should probably know that by now.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
I can now attest to the fact that the one I bought is crap. Zeroed it, half a mag later its way off again even though everything is tight. As usual, you get what you pay for. *sigh* I should probably know that by now.

If you are looking for a budget red dot I would seriously consider Vortex:
Vortex Optics - Strikefire Red Dot Scopes

They offer a lifetime warranty on their optics and they really stand behind their products. They have been working hard in the recent years to challenge Nightforce's product offerings and they have a very good presence over on this forum as well if you want to do some background reading:
Sniper's Hide Forums - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

They have always answered any questions I had in a timely manner, and I have yet to see a case where they didn't go above and beyond to take care of the customer. I don't own any of their products yet, but I probably will soon.

People can argue the features and likes/dislikes about Aimpoint vs EOTech all day and be confident in their decision between the two. But when buying a budget red dot having a company that stands behind their product is probably the most important factor IMO.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
I just picked up one of these..

Primary Arms M4 Style Red Dot - Primary Arms - For Optics Accessories & More | Weapons Optics | Firearm Supplies

Ill review it when I get it installed on my AR and see how it does.

For only a 100 bucks shipped, worth a try out. See how it does on the range during my "homemade 3 gun" competition with my brother in law.

Ok, got the scope, and though looks good and fit up nicely, main complaint is no "on/off" button. You have to twist the dial to turn on and off, and that is a major downer to me. Ill see how it does this weekend.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
^^The PA mimics the form and function of an Aimpoint so if you're used to using a T1, this is actually a good thing since you don't have to relearn anything. Also, battery life on these things aren't bad so if you left it on for a while, it shouldn't be a biggie; granted they aren't like an Aimpoint where you can leave on for a year and come back to it. If you prefer an EoTech, well umm...