Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

red dot sight on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
I've got a $50 MSC holo site on my AR. It hold zero just fine, although its obviously not on something shooting 7.62.

Would you happen to have a pic of that? I am looking for a reflex or red dot for my AR as well...

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Well, let me update and say that its now WAY off zero after some significant amount of shooting. I have to check to see if it wasn't user error, not tightening it to the rail well enough or some such.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
nanya will become famous soon enoughnanya will become famous soon enoughnanya will become famous soon enoughnanya will become famous soon enoughnanya will become famous soon enoughnanya will become famous soon enoughnanya will become famous soon enoughnanya will become famous soon enoughnanya will become famous soon enough
cry once....

Go to ar15 forum and buy (at least) a used eotech. Unless you just want a scope for looks.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nanya
Go to ar15 forum and buy (at least) a used eotech. Unless you just want a scope for looks.
My friend has an eotech and it is excellent, same one he used in the marines. Mine I just happened to be at a gun show buying the lower and wanted something to throw on there so I could head to the range the next day.

What forum specifically are you talking about where they sell these used eotechs?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Brett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond reputeBrett B has a reputation beyond repute
Check out Vortex optics. They are a great company that stands behind their products, which is something that you should really be looking for when buying any "budget" red dot. Otherwise, just save up and get an Aimpoint.

Vortex Optics - Red Dot Scopes

Old 12-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Lowest Price: EOTECH Group Buy ENDS DEC 22 - Calguns.net

If you go before the 22nd, looks like they have a group buy going on, $85 off list and a $50 rebate.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
If you do not want to break the bank, try these guys out:

Red Dot Sights

Also, I'd avoid the EoTechs - many many bad reviews about them from guys in the sandbox

Old 12-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Teamspeed Member
theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by dphouse
Thanks for the suggestions.

As for using the iron sights, they are alright for 40-50 yards, but anything close to 100 yards and you may as well be shooting with your eyes closed (at least with an AK).

I checked out a company called NcStar, they have some interesting options, but most of their stuff utilize a quick release weaver system. Knowing the power behind a 7.62 cartridge, I'm going to bet that the quick release mechanism fails and the optic comes flying off.

Truglo has an interesting option, 2x42 red dot. I know that it's nowhere as good as an Eotech/Aimpoint, but for 79.99, it's worth a shot.

Narbeh
No, not necessarily... I have a quick release system on my rifle, and as long as they are not like latches, and they are screw quick releases, they'll be fine.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by CarbonCycles
If you do not want to break the bank, try these guys out:

Red Dot Sights

Also, I'd avoid the EoTechs - many many bad reviews about them from guys in the sandbox

I just picked up one of these..

Primary Arms M4 Style Red Dot - Primary Arms - For Optics Accessories & More | Weapons Optics | Firearm Supplies

Ill review it when I get it installed on my AR and see how it does.

For only a 100 bucks shipped, worth a try out. See how it does on the range during my "homemade 3 gun" competition with my brother in law.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
I just picked up one of these..

Primary Arms M4 Style Red Dot - Primary Arms - For Optics Accessories & More | Weapons Optics | Firearm Supplies

Ill review it when I get it installed on my AR and see how it does.

For only a 100 bucks shipped, worth a try out. See how it does on the range during my "homemade 3 gun" competition with my brother in law.
I have one on my SW MP15/22. Great little optic for how much it costs and it's built fairly well also. I wouldn't use it for your SHTF gun, but for a plinker, you can't go wrong IMO.

Quick Reply: red dot sight on a budget