Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

New rifle input

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
CarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond reputeCarbonCycles has a reputation beyond repute
So what's up with Aimpoint getting little love here? I personally like them, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CarbonCycles
So what's up with Aimpoint getting little love here? I personally like them, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.
Depending on the model, I don't like A) looking through a tube for CQB, B) the screen of the reflex sight is too small, and C) they aren't built tough like an ACOG or EO-Tech. If you're plinking, the Aimpoint is great. My dad has one on his .22LR pistol - works like a champ.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond reputeJarodL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Josh, it really is going to depend on availability. LWRC, POF, LMT - all of them are equal quality in my book. I just need to put my mitts on one...

That video with the M6A2 w/EO-Tech and suppressor will be VERY similar to what I'm hoping to do. Unless I'm in Afghanistan, I would rather have an EO-Tech than an ACOG. Of course it'd be better to have both on zero-hold mounts.
Isn't the LMT DI vs POF and LWRC which are both piston based?

Either of you care to explain the pros/cons of each system?

I did some reading last night and it seems like some POF customers had some barrel problems. POF fixed the issue quickly, but it sounds like the general consensus is their stuff is great quality but a little overpriced. Seems like LWRC quality is just as good and on the forefront of new product development.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JarodL
Isn't the LMT DI vs POF and LWRC which are both piston based?

Either of you care to explain the pros/cons of each system?

I did some reading last night and it seems like some POF customers had some barrel problems. POF fixed the issue quickly, but it sounds like the general consensus is their stuff is great quality but a little overpriced. Seems like LWRC quality is just as good and on the forefront of new product development.

LMT now also has a piston setup.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
The piston is a workhorse like the AK. Nothing will match the AK in SHTF reliability.

The piston gun needs cleaned FAR less. It fires cooler too.

It is just a better mechanism.

POF is off to a good start at being anti-civilian customer service. LWRC will bend over backwards to help you. I had a couple things that needed addressing, and the Prez took a personal interest to make sure my concerns were addressed.

POF and LWRC any day against HK.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Josh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond reputeJosh has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
The piston is a workhorse like the AK. Nothing will match the AK in SHTF reliability.

The piston gun needs cleaned FAR less. It fires cooler too.

It is just a better mechanism.

POF is off to a good start at being anti-civilian customer service. LWRC will bend over backwards to help you. I had a couple things that needed addressing, and the Prez took a personal interest to make sure my concerns were addressed.

POF and LWRC any day against HK.

So would you say POF and LWRC are pretty equal in quality? I am looking to pick up a few ARs, and it appears the POFs are far more readily available.
Unless someone has a hook up here...

Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
HK has finally released the civilian 416. The one price I've seen was $3,000.

Heckler & Koch - USA

Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Overtaker
HK has finally released the civilian 416. The one price I've seen was $3,000.

Heckler & Koch - USA
3000 bucks for a 556!?!?!?

Does it come with German beer wenches and unlimited supply of German beer?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
justin330i is an unknown quantity at this point
Knight Armament or Les Baer...they might lean too far towards the custom side for you but definitely top tier rifles. I believe Les Baer claims .5 MOA. Knight had a recent article regarding their SR-15 IWS. Apparently, they talked to Stoner (obviously not Eugene since he isn't around anymore) about any changes they would make to their original design and Knight implemented them. Funny enough...they didn't make any changes to the gas impingement system.

I hear alot about gas piston design but it adds a pound to the weight to the rifle and apparently, there are some rubbing issues after a while becasue the way the piston is driven back, it isn't in a straight back fashion. The gas forces it to push back at an angle. Dunno alot about this subject...some searching online should provide info regarding the issue. Understand alot of the companies others are mentioning are or have fixed the issue. Oh...and gas piston designs are more or less proprietary so it might be tough to find parts easily except from the manufacture you bought the rifle from. Gas tubes can be bought anywhere and are fairly standard. I'm not a proponent either way...just giving my opinion and what I read. I'm in the market as well for a quality 5.56 or 7.62 AR-15 type.

Last edited by justin330i; 02-02-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
3000 bucks for a 556!?!?!?

Does it come with German beer wenches and unlimited supply of German beer?
I'd never get it. Lately I've been wanting to get a 10.5" LMT MRP + suppressor.

Quick Reply: New rifle input