Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Pagani Huayra Top Gear (Spoiler Alert)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Artist
^Show me where those specific tires are NOT road legal in UK...( where it was tested) and ile admit that they cheated.

Alternatively show me where TG says anything about what kind of tires are allowed.

Until then..this discussion is not about cheating or foul play..

Its more about discussing the why and ifs of the tires and the test.
There are no specific "rules" that I can find about Top Gear's Power Lap. I also cannot show that those exact tires are not road legal in the UK.

It is extremely difficult to prove anything. There are only three laws of physics. Disproving something, however, only requires establishing reasonable doubt. There is plenty here.

To wit:

1. The Huayra is stated by Pagani to come with Pirelli PZero Corsa tires, size 255/35ZR-19 (front) and 335/30zr-20 (rear).
2. The Pirelli racing slicks on the Zonda R are said by Pagani to be sizes 265/645-19 (front) and 325/705-20 (rear), as per Pagani's website.
3. The tires that were on the Huayra when driven by the Stig have a tread pattern that does not match anything in Pirelli's current PZero Corsa line.
4. The tires that were on the Huayra when driven by the Stig were not the sizes that Pagani states it uses, but rather the same exact size as the racing slicks of the Zonda R, namely 265/645-19 (already cited) and 325/705-20 (see enlarged photo below).
5. These type of tire size designations are not used by Pirelli for any street legal tire, but rather for racing tires designed for off-road use.
6. The Pirelli tires that were on the Huayra when driven by the Stig have treadwear inspection dots in the exact same pattern as you find on Pirelli racing slicks.
7. These types of treadwear inspection dots are not typically found on treaded, street-legal tires.
8. The Pirelli tires that were on the Huayra when driven by the Stig carry no identifying branding, either PZero Corsa or otherwise, except for tire sizing already identified, and the brand name Pirelli.

It is also widely acknowledged that racing tires, particularly slick treaded racing tires, are not intended for street use, and thus no attempt is made to certify them as such.

It is evident by anybody with knowledge on the subject that the tires on the Huayra when driven by the Stig, began life as slick treaded racing tires.

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it's probably a duck. What do your eyes tell you?

What is at issue here is not lap times or foul play. What is at issue is the fact that Pagani, and most likely Pirelli, have engaged in a deliberate attempt to massage the Power Lap results to the benefit of the Huayra by equipping it with tires that it will not, and most likely cannot, be sold with. They knew exactly what they were doing. The general assumption of Top Gear viewers is that the cars are being tested in stock, unmodified form. That does not appear to be the case in this instance.

It's all about the intent to deceive. We can also call into question whether or not Top Gear was complicit in this deception. However, thanks to the fine photographic evidence provided by Rowan Horncastle, maybe someone knew all along, and were hoping someone would pick up on it.

Attached Images  

Last edited by mattjs33; 02-21-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM
F yeah!!! tit got me a silver bar..
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
All of what you state is real and right.. its evident to anyone with eyes.

But still there is no definite proof.

Its surely enough for a discussion..and question asking.

But i would not call it cheating until one of the 2 things ive asked for is proven.. as they say; innocent until proven guilty.

Now we do not know anything about those tires..you might be able to order them for your Huayra...they might even be road legal in some country's.
Who knows? not me..and not you..

All we know is that they are different to those seen on the huayra before..and all evidence point to the fact they they were used to achive a better lap time.

Was it against the rules? i don't think so..
Was it deceiving to anyone not smart enough to seek the information? Sure

But then again what alot of things are deceiving..until you make the effort to educate yourself.

To me TG lap times has never been anything scientific.

PS
I expect both Mclaren and Ferrari to send a team along with their cars and optimize them to hell when the day comes for their lap time.

PPS
One could even call the fact that they set up the car specifically for that run..in terms of dampers and all kinds of setups ..Cheating.. if that's how you want to cut it.. cause it wont come out of factory with that set up..and the owner does not have a team in his pocket to set up the car for each scenario..

Do you get my point?

Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute

PS
I expect both Mclaren and Ferrari to send a team along with their cars and optimize them to hell when the day comes for their lap time.

PPS
One could even call the fact that they set up the car specifically for that run..in terms of dampers and all kinds of setups ..Cheating.. if that's how you want to cut it.. cause it wont come out of factory with that set up..and the owner does not have a team in his pocket to set up the car for each scenario..

Do you get my point?
Yes.

But I still think Pagani got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. I'm especially curious to see what the Huayra would run on its proper PZero Corsas.

Last edited by mattjs33; 02-21-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
probably between the Mp4 12 C and the Ariel Atom

Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
YTaka has a little shameless behaviour in the past
All of what you state is real and right.. its evident to anyone with eyes.

But still there is no definite proof.

Its surely enough for a discussion..and question asking.

But i would not call it cheating until one of the 2 things ive asked for is proven.. as they say; innocent until proven guilty.

Now we do not know anything about those tires..you might be able to order them for your Huayra...they might even be road legal in some country's.
Who knows? not me..and not you..

All we know is that they are different to those seen on the huayra before..and all evidence point to the fact they they were used to achive a better lap time.

Was it against the rules? i don't think so..
Was it deceiving to anyone not smart enough to seek the information? Sure

But then again what alot of things are deceiving..until you make the effort to educate yourself.

PS

PPS

Do you get my point?
There is evidence provided in this thread that they used slicks. Racing slicks are illegal for road use, period. Look it up.

Jeremy Clarkson clearly stated that slicks void the lap record. You keep ignoring this.

You keep trying to make it seem like it's not a big deal, however you are going to such long lengths to do so, which says that you really do care, you just don't want to believe that Pagani could have cheated. I don't think any one wants this to be true, but I also think if it is true it needs to be addressed and the evidence is stacked against Pagani.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM
^The FXX was out of the lap board due to being a non legal road car..
What JC says is just horse shit.. Have you ever listened to the shit that comes out of his mouth?

I want you to provide me with
1. Top gear rules on tires

2. Proof that THOSE specific tires are not road legal

Until then.. im not bothered

Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Gyre is an unknown quantity at this point
It seems like you all missed my post where i proved one of the things you asked for, namely the tire rules for the power board. Do you want me to givet you the exact time in the episodes as well?

Originally Posted by Gyre
s13e02.

Jeremy about the FXX lap time: "He was doing that on slick tires. Now we have rules on this power board here ok, you cant use slicks so this time is coming off."
EDIT: You posted a respons to whay Jeremy said while i typed this post. If you don't accept a clear quote from him reguarding the rules of the board then it seems to me that you have made up your mind and wont change your stance on this no mather what.

Last edited by Gyre; 02-21-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 PM
^No i do not take his FXX removal as a rule for tires on TG track tests..
Im sorry

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

Well, considering it's TGUK - you're all wrong, as they are TYRES.

Seriously, it's a bloody TV show, who cares THIS MUCH? Jeremy Clarkson knows as much about cars as my herb garden. To give him any sort of authoritative say in anything automotive is ridiculous.

Next you'll be telling me how realistic the challenges are.....

Cheers,
Nik

Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Point taken Nik, but considering that debating times and numbers like this is a part of being enthusiasts, and part of why we come here, does it matter the source of such numbers? Silly TV show or not.

The proper question to ask might be, Why do the manufacturers care so much? Would it be easier to just let the local dealer send a car over, rather than send a huge team of people? McLaren appear to have a real bad case of it.

Quick Reply: Pagani Huayra Top Gear (Spoiler Alert)