Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Pagani Huayra Top Gear (Spoiler Alert)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Gyre is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by The Artist
^No i do not take his FXX removal as a rule for tires on TG track tests..
Im sorry
Will the top gear wiki suffice? I guess not but I'll post it anyways.

Power laps - Top Gear Wiki

"A "non-qualifying" vehicle is one that does not meet the presenters' requirements to remain on the board, that is, one that is not a "road car". This means being available to buy and being fully road-legal (lights, indicators, registration, etc.), as well as being street-worthy (i.e. able to negotiate a speed bump) or using slick tyres."

Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
F yeah!!! tit got me a silver bar..
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
^that is enough..

Now we need to determine what kind of tire that is..if its road legal anywhere..and if you are able to get it with your huayra.

Ile ask the people at the factory when i get the chance..

Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
YTaka has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by The Artist
^that is enough..

Now we need to determine what kind of tire that is..if its road legal anywhere..and if you are able to get it with your huayra.

Ile ask the people at the factory when i get the chance..
Have you not seen/or understood the evidence in this thread?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by theprotest
Seriously, it's a bloody TV show, who cares THIS MUCH?
I'll take a little more time to answer this, on second thought...

The manufacturers seem to care a TREMENDOUS amount. Silly and scripted though the challenges may be (which you can find amusing, if you allow yourself to), the Power Lap has been around long enough, and can be applied on a fairly consistent enough basis, to serve as pretty good reference point. That the show is watched by millions is no small matter.

If you're in the business of building performance cars, these Power Lap times matter a LOT. It's a showcase of your cars' abilities, and while there certainly are variables in track condition, how the Stig is feeling that day, which Stig it is, whatever, the Power Lap times do provide a pretty good idea where in the pantheon a given car slots.

When the Stig flew off the track in the Koenigsegg, there was a lot of talk in the enthusiast sector of how it was undrivable at speed. A bad (or fantastic) showing could have a big impact on a performance car builder, particularly one that only builds a handful of cars a year, fighting with others in a limited pool of customers.

So yes, I would say the Power Laps can be quite significant indeed.

McLaren practically set up shop there, what's that tell you?

Last edited by mattjs33; 02-21-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 PM
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by YTaka
Have you not seen/or understood the evidence in this thread?
Yes indeed..and nothing of that states that those tires are illegal to use on the road..or impossible for a private person to acquire..

Tell me if i missed something..

As you do not even know the name of that tire.

For all we know it could be a new pirelli compound for the huayra..

Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by mattjs33

McLaren practically set up shop there, what's that tell you?
intention to cheat?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond reputemattjs33 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
streetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud of
Matt I congratulate you on your investigative work and latter today I will come back to hopefully answer some of you questions when I have some spare time.

But in the mean time I just wanted to leave you with this. Earlier you said that the tyre shown on the Huayra was not available. The fact is you can get them all over the world if you look. Here is a quick advert from a Canadian supplier, but I can point to others if you wish:

PZero Corsa Asimmetrico - Pneus - PMC Tire, Québec, Ontario, Canada

You will notice that the tread pattern is exactly the same as the one shown on the Pagani

Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
YTaka has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by streetrod454
Matt I congratulate you on your investigative work and latter today I will come back to hopefully answer some of you questions when I have some spare time.

But in the mean time I just wanted to leave you with this. Earlier you said that the tyre shown on the Huayra was not available. The fact is you can get them all over the world if you look. Here is a quick advert from a Canadian supplier, but I can point to others if you wish:

You will notice that the tread pattern is exactly the same as the one shown on the Pagani
True, but they have wear bars vs. the ones Pagani use have with "wear holes" as matt pointed out. Wear bars = tires with treads moulded. Wear holes = tires moulded as slicks then hand cut. Also, they have the side wall marks, xxx/xx road tire (ex. - 345/35ZR19) vs. pagani xxx/xxx racing slick (ex. - 265/645) Right?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Matt I congratulate you on your investigative work...
Thank you.

Thank you for that as well. I'd been thus far unable to find anything similar on Pirelli's website. The link you quote is quite handy, there is a function where I can zoom in on the photo of the tire in question.

Originally Posted by YTaka
True, but they have wear bars vs. the ones Pagani use have with "wear holes" as matt pointed out. Wear bars = tires with treads moulded. Wear holes = tires moulded as slicks then hand cut. Also, they have the side wall marks, xxx/xx road tire (ex. - 345/35ZR19) vs. pagani xxx/xxx racing slick (ex. - 265/645) Right?
Beat me to it, YTaka!

The tires you point out in the link above are clearly absent of the treadwear indicator dots found on racing slick treaded tires, which I have already pointed out are present on the Huayra Power Lap tires. The treadwear indicators that ARE on the street-legal tire you point out happen to be IN the tread itself (see the little bumps in the grooves).

If someone was hand cutting a racing slick, in an attempt to make it appear to be a street-legal tire, wouldn't they do so in a pattern that mimics such a tire?

And one more question I hope you might answer: Are the tires you reference in the link above available in either size 265/645-19 or 325/705-20?

I appreciate the offers by you and The Artist to "check further". However, I don't expect the answers to be much different from what I've already concluded. Provided of course either Pagani or Pirelli are willing to be that forthcoming.

It's said that Lance Armstrong might have done better for himself if he had just 'fessed up when the allegations first surfaced. Something to remember.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Pagani Huayra Top Gear (Spoiler Alert)