Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

The Official UFC Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Super Super Super Member!
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ajindfw
...Jones-Machida. Worth a rematch. While 2/3 judges gave round one to Jones, it seemed to me that Machida won it. Then again, we all know what they say about what it takes to beat the champ. Certainly, this was the first time Jones knew he was in a fight. The takedown and the elbow took the steam out of Lyoto, who also has rarely felt challenged. The sportsmanship exhibited by both athletes was commendable. Both are very easy to like. At age 33 with a 17-3 record, it might not be a bad idea for Machida to retire.
I agree w/you, Lyoto should retire if not now, soon. And that was a very good showing against Jones. Nobody's had him confused and on the defensive like that. He was probably a bit insane to try to stand up with Jones, but he did it very well.

I wouldn't vote for a rematch though. Machida won't get the upper hand on Jon again so long as he's w/Greg Jackson. Jackson's too smart, and Jones would be better prepared second time around. Lyoto had his chance, and had he capitalized on the strike attacks like the Korean Zombie did w/Mark H, he'd be wearing the belt right now instead of superglue in his forehead.

How any judge gave Jones Rd 1 is beyond me. I'd like to see how and why that occurred. Mathematically, Machida scored a third more strikes in that round and Jones didn't establish any dominant positions or cage control...so....what fight were they watching?

I thought Ebersole really was unimpressive...anyone else wondering how he doesn't get the crap kicked out of him? What a sloppy fighter. I couldn't wait for his bout to end. I know, I know...picky, picky!

Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond repute
extremly dramatic the way machida fel and jones walkes away

watching nogs shoulder pop over and over again wasnt easy, you could just feel the pain

Old 12-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tips
extremly dramatic the way machida fel and jones walkes away

watching nogs shoulder pop over and over again wasnt easy, you could just feel the pain
Yeah, there are a lot of fans pretty pissed Jones dropped Machida like that. Big John couldn't control Machida's body and prevent the fall because Jones was in the way, and when he released the choke and dropped him like a worthless object and strutted away, Machida could've broken his neck falling face-first as he did. Really not a classy move. True, there is zero obligation for the victor to give aid to an opponent who's unconscious, but dropping him like that was pretty disrespectful and somewhat irresponsible in my view. These guys are fighting, but respect for fellow competitors is a sign of a true professional. Nothing to be gained once the fight is over by further injuring your opponent.

This is a fight. It's not tennis, fencing, baseball...You're in there to completely destroy the other guy, to beat him senseless 'til the judge stops you or 'til he submits. But when you have a choke on the ground and let go, that's one thing. A standing choke...that's another.

Jones didn't win extra fans by doing what he did. Not any who have class or integrity anyway.

Flame suit, on.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
^ I agree. I was actually thinking about this after the fight and I was back at home. Jones said in the post fight interview that he knew he was out cold. To just let him go like that was pretty classless.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
It seems like whatever Jones does he won't catch a break. Lots of times a guy is a limp but he doesn't just dump like a sack of potatoes. Are we gonna fault the korean zombie for celebrating after his KO? Guys hit the ground all the time, when I saw the fight last night it seemed he was just holding the choke long enough till BJM told him the fight was over (as you're supposed to) and then let go quick as he could.

Last edited by big_slacker; 12-12-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
^ Guess I'm just not a Jones fan, maybe I'm jaded against him.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
I think a lot of people don't like his personality, he comes off a little fake in interviews and so on. But he's not an out and out dick, I figure just measure fighters by the same standards.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by big_slacker
It seems like whatever Jones does he won't catch a break. Lots of times a guy is a limp but he doesn't just dump like a sack of potatoes. Are we gonna fault the korean zombie for celebrating after his KO? Guys hit the ground all the time, when I saw the fight last night it seemed he was just holding the choke long enough till BJM told him the fight was over (as you're supposed to) and then let go quick as he could.
There's definitely a complex issue in play here, and maybe fans and critics are unrealistic and unreasonable.

It's pretty damned hard to teach someone how to destroy an opponent and give a damn about them at the same time. Maybe it's an unfair expectation, and too much to ask of a fighter.

Jones is doing his job (and following the rules in the process). His job is to win fights. Just like legendary champs such as Tyson, Ali, Mayweather, etc...

Had Jones not dropped Machida, had he shown care or attempted support of any kind, perhaps he'd have been heralded at an even higher level than "the champ", he'd be a hero. Now he has to face the criticism that even though he's rolled through all of his opponents with ease, and perhaps developed to become the best fighter to ever enter the cage, he's got to additionally deliver some unrealistic form of bullsh*t sportsmanship to please wusses that don't realize this is a fight. Those wusses are fight fans and the media. He doesn't have to care. That's not his job. His job is to win.

Maybe choking someone out or KO'ing them and not caring is too much like real war, and maybe we're afraid to embrace a higher level of winning in sport which is so closely representative of killing. I guess this is where MMA has brought controversy. It's laid bare our conscience and civility and exposed a double-standard that cannot be resolved, and never will.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^^ The funny thing is, he is obviously trying to cultivate a persona in interviews, press conferences and so on. So why not do it in the cage as well? It may be that in the cage/in the moment he doesn't have thoughts about turning on the public persona and we get to see how he would really act freed from self imposed constraints.

I think he's a bit awkward socially and that more than physical battles will be what he fights through in his career.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
does anyone have a link to the fight? I missed it unfortunately

Quick Reply: The Official UFC Thread!