Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

The Official UFC Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Super Super Member!
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
Machida's got to get inside, go up the middle with uppercuts, bait jones into spinning elbows while counter by circling and hooking to the temple and comboing up, bring it to the ground, get the back and go for a choke. And if he's fighting off the back he's got to get wrist control and a leg free and come up and over for an upside-down armbar---quickly. Alternatively, if he can shoot a leg and go for a kneebar or leg lock, that'd be an option for using Jones' long legs against him.

If Machida stays outside, he's in huge trouble and it's only a matter of time until he gets stunned and finished. Inside work is the smartest and only route to possible success--Jones' striking is just too long and too dangerous. Faber made the mistake of staying outside on Aldo, when he should've forced the fight to the ground and spun into Jose's guard like nobody else can--he simply didn't fight smart. Machida has to fight smart. Machida has to even the playing field and the ground's where it's at--even though Jones is a great wrestler. Jackson's trained Jones to avoid Machida's strong left, worked counters and control to neutralize Machida's circling footwork and trip take-downs. I don't think Jones will expect a ground attack from a Karate guy (even though Lyoto's a BJJ guy too, we just haven't see it much, because he's such a good striker normally).

Whatever happens, I hope it's a fantastic fight. I'd like Jones to lose, so we can see how he responds when things go South. That resiliency is what true champion spirit is about. Jones has had what Greg Jackson calls the worst thing to happen to a fighter--success. The challenge now is staying hungry, listening to your coaches, keeping grounded and focused. And if the loss comes, the even greater challenge is how a fighter's psyche endures. Jones needs to be tested. Thus far, he hasn't been. If Machida can do it, then a great fighter will have won (and I'd like to see him retire on top--he doesn't have more than a year left in top form). Best to finish on a high note, and he was already considering retirement previously--his Dad's been wanting him to get out of MMA for a while already. If Jones loses, then a great fighter will have lost--and the stage will be set for a great comeback from the most talented, creative and athletic fighter the LHW division has ever seen.

Let's all hope for a great bout, no matter what happens. I cannot wait. And hey, the Mir/Tito/Nogs bouts will be pretty exciting too!

P.S. I'm not an idiot, I do realize the probable outcome will be Jones destroying yet another opponent. If Machida sticks with his stand-up, predictable evasive circling and take-down tripping, this will be an easy win for Jones. Machida has to come with a completely different game this time. Jones is too good on the feet. Can't risk striking with a great striker who has reach and creativity like Jones. If Machida follows my coaching above, he's got a solid shot, and I think he should thank me in the post-fight presser.

Last edited by Super D; 12-10-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Super Super Member!
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
Jones and Machida already fought, wow! What a fight!

Old 12-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
that made my year^^^ lol

Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 PM
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Super D
Machida's got to get inside, go up the middle with uppercuts, bait jones into spinning elbows while counter by circling and hooking to the temple and comboing up, bring it to the ground, get the back and go for a choke. And if he's fighting off the back he's got to get wrist control and a leg free and come up and over for an upside-down armbar---quickly. Alternatively, if he can shoot a leg and go for a kneebar or leg lock, that'd be an option for using Jones' long legs against him.

If Machida stays outside, he's in huge trouble and it's only a matter of time until he gets stunned and finished. Inside work is the smartest and only route to possible success--Jones' striking is just too long and too dangerous. Faber made the mistake of staying outside on Aldo, when he should've forced the fight to the ground and spun into Jose's guard like nobody else can--he simply didn't fight smart. Machida has to fight smart. Machida has to even the playing field and the ground's where it's at--even though Jones is a great wrestler. Jackson's trained Jones to avoid Machida's strong left, worked counters and control to neutralize Machida's circling footwork and trip take-downs. I don't think Jones will expect a ground attack from a Karate guy (even though Lyoto's a BJJ guy too, we just haven't see it much, because he's such a good striker normally).

Whatever happens, I hope it's a fantastic fight. I'd like Jones to lose, so we can see how he responds when things go South. That resiliency is what true champion spirit is about. Jones has had what Greg Jackson calls the worst thing to happen to a fighter--success. The challenge now is staying hungry, listening to your coaches, keeping grounded and focused. And if the loss comes, the even greater challenge is how a fighter's psyche endures. Jones needs to be tested. Thus far, he hasn't been. If Machida can do it, then a great fighter will have won (and I'd like to see him retire on top--he doesn't have more than a year left in top form). Best to finish on a high note, and he was already considering retirement previously--his Dad's been wanting him to get out of MMA for a while already. If Jones loses, then a great fighter will have lost--and the stage will be set for a great comeback from the most talented, creative and athletic fighter the LHW division has ever seen.

Let's all hope for a great bout, no matter what happens. I cannot wait. And hey, the Mir/Tito/Nogs bouts will be pretty exciting too!

P.S. I'm not an idiot, I do realize the probable outcome will be Jones destroying yet another opponent. If Machida sticks with his stand-up, predictable evasive circling and take-down tripping, this will be an easy win for Jones. Machida has to come with a completely different game this time. Jones is too good on the feet. Can't risk striking with a great striker who has reach and creativity like Jones. If Machida follows my coaching above, he's got a solid shot, and I think he should thank me in the post-fight presser.
You should consider writing for mmajunkie.com D...that write up analogy was great.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Old 12-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
so everybody is busy... gotta decide if its worth the money for this card tonight.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
VKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Super D
Jones and Machida already fought, wow! What a fight!

Awesome!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 PM
I love my DUCKS!
eddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond reputeeddiecut has a reputation beyond repute
is there a place I can watch them online?

Quick Reply: The Official UFC Thread!