Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

The Official UFC Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Super Super Member!
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a HUGE Machida fan, but this is another case of an older battle vet in the down cycle of his career facing a young talented world champ who has tools, stamina, durability, lack of cumulative brain trauma and every other advantage you can have. I don't see Machida winning this. He'll retire within 2 years, maybe sooner.

Sort of surprised we don't have LHW depth emerging. Seems like no new great young guys other than Bones in this div. What's up with that?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
I agree about machida's chances. Jones is patient and generally sticks to his game plan. He also has the range to help combat machida's style as well as the reflexes.

Originally Posted by Super D
I'm a HUGE Machida fan, but this is another case of an older battle vet in the down cycle of his career facing a young talented world champ who has tools, stamina, durability, lack of cumulative brain trauma and every other advantage you can have. I don't see Machida winning this. He'll retire within 2 years, maybe sooner.

Sort of surprised we don't have LHW depth emerging. Seems like no new great young guys other than Bones in this div. What's up with that?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by big_slacker
I agree about machida's chances. Jones is patient and generally sticks to his game plan. He also has the range to help combat machida's style as well as the reflexes.
Seems to me Machida needs a Jackson level coach to bring out his potential at this point. After Evans, Machida sort of stalled in his development, started playing it too safe and didn't continue adding new tools, attack plans and strategies.

The best fighters continue to adapt, evolve and change their approach to maintain competitive advantage--and the smart ones (with smart coaches) alter the plan tailored to each opponent. I haven't seen that happening with Machida in the past few fights (Randy didn't require it, he's pretty set in his ways; if that kick didn't happen, it'd have been a boring fight).

Jones will be an incredibly tough test for Lyoto. If he can even hang into the later rounds, it'll be an accomplishment. His conditioning had better be off the charts, because there's no way he's going to do any significant damage to Jones in R1 or R2.

I for one would like to see Machida's Jits put to the test, standing up he's good, but not good enough to avoid Jones catching him. Get Jones stunned with a leg-kick to those skinny legs followed by heavy hand combo, put him on the ground, take away his from-the-next-block striking advantage, and try to sub him. Jones can wrestle very well, but a good Jits boy from Brazil should be able to get some work done. Everyone's beatable. We just haven't seen anyone control Jones on the ground yet. Somebody has to step up and stop trying to strike with him. The way he made a fool out of Bader leads me to believe that a wrestler isn't going to do it. But a top BJJ practitioner just might have a chance. Maybe...

G*d I hope this is a good fight. I like Machida too much to see him sent home embarrassed.

Who do you think can even give Jones a run at LHW? What about Phil Davis getting back to health and in top form? That could be the only one in the div that has a realistic shot at mounting a real challenge.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:08 AM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Who do you think can even give Jones a run at LHW? What about Phil Davis getting back to health and in top form? That could be the only one in the div that has a realistic shot at mounting a real challenge.
Only Davis or Rashad...or Dos Santos dropping down imo...

Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Rashad's only issue is his head. He has the physical tools. If he brings his head in top form, had good A and B strategic plans, he could do this. I think he's actually faster with the hands than anyone in LHW---when he's at his best and not being lulled into fighting someone else's fight. No question he can train phenomenally well. Get that game plan and confidence. Then it'll be a very good chance that Rashad could get on top, however briefly.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
I really wanna see Jones lose...im not a fan...so im REALLY hoping for a Machida upset...upkick to the face style

Old 11-22-2011, 12:18 PM
I want to see Jones lose as well, not because I don't like him, I do. I just want to see a very competitive division. And if someone steps up their game and takes Jones out, it'll be interesting how he reacts and comes back.

Additionally, this division needs some classic rivalries developed, and it's got to get younger. There are too many aging vets in LHW.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 PM
developed, and it's got to get younger. There are too many aging vets in LHW.
So true about this...Jones and Davis basically stand alone in NEW young talent...Bader is younger as well...but ya...dont know what to make of him anymore...he KO Brilz but thats not saying too too much.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Bader is nowhere near good enough to be a top contender as long as Jones is in the div.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Quick Reply: The Official UFC Thread!