Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

***Spoiler Alert*** British GP Results and Post-Race Banter!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
***Spoiler Alert*** British GP Results and Post-Race Banter!

Wow! What a race. Absolutely crazy once again. This is why I LOVE Formula 1 racing.

Lewis Hamilton started off great and never looked back. How about that start!? He looked like a man possessed out there. He has to thank Mark Webber for blocking out Kimi. Very strong strategy going with the tire change on his first stop. I think Kimi didn't change in order to get out in front of Lewis in the pit. Being out front in the rain is everything. The most amazing thing about Lewis' performance was that he lapped up to third position! Total domination and a quick ride back to the top of the points with Kimi and Massa. I am happy for Lewis. Maybe the British press will lay off a bit now.

Did Quick Nick need this or what? Like Varsha said, "he needed this like he needs oxygen." He held off a hard charging field to snag second place and keep BMW from getting shut out of the points. Too bad for Kubica retiring. He will be back.

I am also happy for Rubens. He is a good driver and has seen some bad days over the past few seasons at Honda. The tire strategy paid off big time for him. But I thought it was interesting that none of the lead drivers followed suit - not a single one went to the all-wet tire. Ross Brawn had written this season off a bit too soon I guess. I wouldn't look for any more podiums this year though.

Kimi was gaining on Lewis until the ill-fated pit stop where he did not get new tires and failed to leave the pit ahead of McLaren. I was pretty sure he would reel Lewis in had all things been equal. But once Lewis got the proper setup, Kimi was left behind. But still, after all of that and a bag of chips, he still ends up in FOURTH PLACE! A very dangerous driver indeed.

Even though he finished fifth, of all the the drivers I think Kov had the worst day. He went off the track three times and failed to make some pretty routine passes. He did fight past Alonso which is always gratifying to see. Given the strength of the car and his P1 qualifying position he should have finished higher. I am sure he was pretty unsatisfied with the result. He is turning into quite an exciting - yet still inconsistent - driver.

Stick a fork in Alonso. He was routinely overtaken by lesser drivers and barely held off Trulli and Nakajima. But as long as he stays in the points I think his future with Ferrari is still pretty much a done deal. He did manage to stay on the track when others could not. He seemed to be very strong early - probably due to a light fuel load - but eventually faded. He has the experience, now if he could just stop the whimpering . . .

Trulli had another strong finish. He should have had Alonso there at the end but failed to reel him in. He made a very strong pass on Nakajima while he and Alonso were jokeying for position.

Nakajima must be the toast of the town in Japan right now. He took advantage of some opportunities and made the right tire choices. With the Williams factory just down the street from Silverstone it is nice for him to get in the points. Nico Rosberg almost got there despite a terrible race.

The biggest disappointment of the day had to be Mark Webber. After getting P2 in qualifying he slid off early and fell down the grid. But then he made a great charge to get back in the top ten - only to slide off again and finish out of the points. There are better days ahead for Webber. He has a lot of promise.

The image I will retain from this race is that British crowd going absolutely bonkers as Lewis came around the final turn and towards the checkered flag. After 2 hours in a sideways rain they deserved it. I was biting my nails as he took those turns while reigning in both his speed and his excitment. I kept waiting for Kimi to run into him as some sort of revenge plot or for him to slide out untouched as so many drivers did today. But he held on for a great win. And the soap opera continues.

Another shakeup at the top of the standings! I love it.

Last edited by Barrister; 07-06-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Zoinks. I hope this lack of interest is because of the holiday weekend!

If not, you guys really need to check out F1. The race at Silverstone is the perfect reason why it is the elite racing circuit in the world!

Hope we get some chatter on this stuff soon. As car lovers this should be our Mecca.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
agreed ^

it was a fantastic race to watch, the lack of TC certainly upped the ante. lewis again showed that he is the champion in waiting. the rain is the great equalizer in motorsport, the wet always makes for great racing. with hamilton, raikkonen, and massa tied at 48 points in the championship (and kubica not far off with 46) the second half of the season should be epic. i cant wait till hockenheim!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
No TC + rain = fun race!

What a race! Lewis was in a class by himself. Rubinho showed his mastery of rain (coupled with a great tyre choice by Ross).

Massa proved that he is overrated.

Love the standings in the driver's championship. Go Lewis!