Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

British GP at Silverstone Pre-Race Banter and Analysis!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
British GP at Silverstone Pre-Race Banter and Analysis!

British GP at Silverstone Pre-Race Analysis

Track History – Silverstone

Silverstone started its life as a part of the British war effort as an airfield. Just after the end of World War II, the airfield was abandoned and converted into a race track. It hosted its first GP in 1948. Maseratti and driver Luigi Villoresi took that contest. Giusepe Farina and Alfa Romeo won the first ever World Championship round at Silverstone in 1950. Recent winners include Michael Schumacher for Ferrari (1998, 2002, 2004), David Coulthard for McLaren (1999, 2000) and Fernando Alonso for Renault (2006).

Coulthard deserves special consideration this week at his home GP having just announced his retirement this week:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/7/8033.html

David is one of the true gentlemen of F1 and a great racecar driver. He accumulated 13 GP wins and 527 Championship points in his career which began in 1994. We will miss you David!

Interesting Facts

In 1998 Michael Schumacher won the British GP despite finishing the race in the pits. Schumey passed rival Mika Haikkanen for the lead with 10 laps left. He was then given notification of a stop-go penalty for passing under a yellow flag. Regulations require that this be done within 3 laps of the notification – which he complied with. The third lap, however, was the final lap of the race so he took the win en route to his pit. Crazy.

2007 Results For Those In The Points

in 2007, the British public wanted victory for their new national hero Lewis Hamilton. He didn’t disappoint them during qualifying where he secured the pole position in dramatic fashion on his final hot lap. Nevertheless, victory would not be his. Instead, Kimi would stand atop the podium and Alonso would place second. Lewis would snag his ninth straight podium finish, however, by placing third. This was Kimi’s second straight win (French GP) and moved him beyond teammate Massa for third in the championship battle. Kubica flashed signs of things to come by finishing fourth. The real drama of the day came when Massa stalled on the grid and ended up moving from fourth position to last. He fought his way back to second at one point, though, and ended an impressive fifth overall. Quick Nick (should we still be calling him that?), claimed sixth. Both Renault drivers finished in the points as Kov and Fischichella finished seventh and eighth respectively. That was cold comfort for Renault as their inability to compete was marked by the fact that they had both been lapped.

2007 Side Story

The real story at the 2007 British GP was industrial espionage. McLaren’s chief designer Mike Coughlan was found to be in possession of Ferrari drawings. Rumors were flying that they had been sent to him by disgruntled former Ferrari man Nigel Stepney. And the Soap Opera continued.

2008 Analysis

Many British citizens got their first taste of F1 last year as they showed up in droves to see what the buzz regarding Lewis Hamilton was all about. And you can be sure that many of them will be back this year. If you disregard the politics – for example Bernie’s potshots at the circuit’s facilities and the British Racing Driver’s Club’s internal strife over how to best develop it – Silverstone remains one of the best real racing circuits left in F1. The first corner, Copse, is quite hairy. But it is the Becketts sweepers that all the drivers will be focused on. The turns at Stowe and Club have slowed in recent years but the right exit from either gives a driver his best chance to overtake others coming into the Vale and Abbey corners. Silverstone features fast, open sweeps that allow aerodynamics to play a large role in race success. Thus, high-speed stability will likely rule the day. Can you say “DOWNFORCE”? This favors McLaren because, up until France, they seemed to be running just the right amount of rear wing lately. I think that both Lewis and Kov will do very well and may both make the podium if Ferrari falters.

Obviously, this is a make or break week for Lewis Hamilton. After making critical errors the past two weeks, he absolutely must do well in front of his home fans at Silverstone. I would even go so far as to say that anything less than a win will be a major disappointment. With 10 races left Lewis is only 10 points out of the World Championship hunt. A win at Silverstone and a good showing in Germany would put him near the lead again. We will have to wait and see if the decision to swap out Kimi's engine will have any effect. I suspect that it will not and that the Fin will challenge Lewis all the way to the chequred flag. Massa is on a roll and should also podium. As my sleeper I see Mark Webber doing well. He has been surpisingly strong this year and should be feeling good after just signing an extension with Red Bull.

My Prediction for The Race

1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Kimi Raikkonen
3. Felipe Massa
4. Heikki Kovalainen
5. Robert Kubica
6. Timo Glock
7. Mark Webber
8. Jarno Trulli

Let the debate begin!!!

Cockpit of Schumey's F2006

Last edited by Barrister; 07-03-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
No way Kovalainen finishes 4th.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Teamspeed's Official Shaikh
CondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond repute
Dont forget the additional parking on the roads leading to and from Silverstone

Old 07-05-2008, 12:07 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Qualifying
Pos. Driver Team Tires Time
1 H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:21.049
2 M. Webber Red Bull 1:21.554
3 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:21.706
4 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:21.835
5 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:21.873
6 F. Alonso Renault 1:22.029
7 N. Piquet jr. Renault 1:22.491
8 S. Vettel Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:23.251
9 F. Massa Ferrari 1:23.305
10 R. Kubica BMW no time
11 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:20.174
12 T. Glock Toyota 1:20.274
13 S. Bourdais Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:20.531
14 J. Trulli Toyota 1:20.601
15 K. Nakajima Williams 1:21.112
16 R. Barrichello Honda 1:21.512
17 J. Button Honda 1:21.631
18 N. Rosberg Williams 1:21.668
19 A. Sutil Force India F1 1:21.786
20 G. Fisichella Force India F1 1:21.885

Old 07-05-2008, 12:23 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
by the way, starting from 2010 onwards the British GP will be held at Donington instead of Silverstone. they just sorted out a 10 year agreement with bernie.

Formula One news: Donington pleased with F1 contract - GPUpdate.net Formula One

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/...-to-donington/

Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond repute
Hamilton: What can I say? Impressive. Catapulted from the start, and then domination. And I'm a Ferrari fan so it pains me to praise him.
Barrichelo: Great strategy by Brawn. Couldn't be happier for the guy.
Kubica: Unfortunate
Webber: Unfortunate
Heidfeld: Good to see him have a good race. He's been under tremendous pressure from Kubica.
Ferrari: Worthless. I'm embarassed for them. Crap strategy, crappier driving. Raikonnen managed to redeem himself slightly from his spins. Massa - What a joke today. Not good for my Scuderia.

Last edited by ajs887; 07-06-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Russ has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ajs887
Hamilton: What can I say? Impressive. Catapulted from the start, and then domination. And I'm a Ferrari fan so it pains me to praise him.
Barrichelo: Great strategy by Brawn. Couldn't be happier for the guy.
Kubica: Unfortunate
Webber: Unfortunate
Heidfeld: Good to see him have a good race. He's been under tremendous pressure from Kubica.
Ferrari: Worthless. I'm embarassed for them. Crap strategy, crappier driving. Raikonnen managed to redeem himself slightly from his spins. Massa - What a joke today. Not good for my Scuderia.
Dude, you realize that the race hasn't been aired in the US yet

Old 07-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond repute
now that the race is over in the U.S. WOW what a great race. Great to see Barrichello finish on the podium,what happened to Massa?a lot of off's in the wet.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Minidhinkle
No way Kovalainen finishes 4th.
You're right. He finished 5th. Shame on me!

Come over to my new thread for post-race results and more banter! https://teamspeed.com/forums/pit-sto...ce-banter.html