Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

2011 Formula 1 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Petrov first needs to move to a more centralized location in Europe. Most of the drivers live in London, Monaco, or Germany.

That will help him immensely as he won't be needing to get himself on "race" or European time.

And yes, that seat should have gone to Hulkenberg. But it is a sad day when a driver is awarded a seat because he has money and not skill.

And I hope someone doesn't quote me and go on with this "But Petrov held off Alonso" nonsense. No, Abu Dhabi is a crap track. You can't pass on it.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Teamspeed Member
Murph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really nice
Originally Posted by X2daC
Petrov first needs to move to a more centralized location in Europe. Most of the drivers live in London, Monaco, or Germany.

That will help him immensely as he won't be needing to get himself on "race" or European time.

And yes, that seat should have gone to Hulkenberg. But it is a sad day when a driver is awarded a seat because he has money and not skill.

And I hope someone doesn't quote me and go on with this "But Petrov held off Alonso" nonsense. No, Abu Dhabi is a crap track. You can't pass on it.
Not exacty a direct comparison but Niki Lauda bought a seat as a way of getting into F1 and then managed to impress Enzo Ferrari enough to secure a better seat with a better team and car.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Murph5000
Not exacty a direct comparison but Niki Lauda bought a seat as a way of getting into F1 and then managed to impress Enzo Ferrari enough to secure a better seat with a better team and car.
The difference is, Niki Lauda has talent.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:26 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
you are judging too harshly, he had a 5th, 6th, and 7th place finish in his rookie year. he clearly has some talent.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Teamspeed Member
Murph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really nice
Agreed - but Lauda still couldn't land a seat for himself with his talent without ponying up serious cash. Petrov is doing the same and is just finished with his first year. I'm willing to give him a chance to see what he can pull off.

I don't think Hulkenberg deserved the seat anymore than Petrov and Hulkenberg supposedly had more talent - he beat Petrov in GP2 at the end of the '09 season.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by IIVVX
you are judging too harshly, he had a 5th, 6th, and 7th place finish in his rookie year. he clearly has some talent.
I don't feel as I'm judging too harshly.

The media is giving him a lot of hype and covering up the reality of it.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:41 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
explain?

he is coming to grips with a new car and new circuits. he certainly didn't have a great rookie season a la hamilton but you can't really contend it was disastrous.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by IIVVX
explain?

he is coming to grips with a new car and new circuits. he certainly didn't have a great rookie season a la hamilton but you can't really contend it was disastrous.
Abu Dhabi, they kept saying he was holding off Alonso. He wasn't, you just can't pass on that track.

Coming to grips with a new car? If he was Jaime in 09 that would be plausible as he was thrown right in the mix of things. He had plenty of testing time.

How many cars did he write off? The kid has heart, don't get me wrong.

His season wasn't disastrous, I'm just saying he's mediocre at best.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:58 PM
FIGJAM
lol, ok that's what we're saying

Old 12-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't get me wrong, I hoped Petrov did well this season, but you cannot ignore the amount of crashes he had. I agree with X2dac, he had plenty of testing time.

Quick Reply: 2011 Formula 1 Off-Season Discussion Thread