Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

2011 Formula 1 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Teamspeed Member
Murph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really nice
Honda Contemplating Another F1 Foray?

I saw this and thought it was kind of funny - but not impossible. Rumor has it that a Japanese car manufacturer is eying a return to Formula One that manufacturer is Honda. Ironically, Honda would be returning to F1 after leaving at the end of the 2008 season and selling everything to then-principal Ross Brawn who turned the Brawn GP team into world champions in their first year in business. That team has since become Mercedes-Benz GP.

Reportedly, Honda is interested in the regulation changes in 2013 when the current engine freeze on the V8's expires and the FIA mandates new turbocharged 4-cylinder engines.

Honda looking at F1 for 2013 - Caubet

My guess is that in the 2013/2014 seasons we'll see BMW and Honda return as engine suppliers the turbo 4's will be more justifiable to their production car line-ups. Also - doesn't Honda already run turbocharged engines in the IRL? My guess is engine suppliers probably make more money - or hemorrhage less - than that of a full team that has to worry about chassis development plus the costs of fielding a full team.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by smy266
^ Unless this is a little out-dated.

Hispania put up for sale - F1technical.net

But yes, those driver spots are always up for sale

Here we go.

Hispania: The team is not on sale | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video

Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
^ Thanks.

In other news...

Sebastian Vettel voted ESPNF1 driver of the year | Formula 1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

I don't agree with this. I think Hamilton or Alonso were the best this season.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:31 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Virgin confirms Glock and d’Ambrosio for 2011

Marussia Virgin Racing has announced that Belgian rookie Jérôme d’Ambrosio will be partnering Timo Glock in 2011, meaning that Brazil’s Lucas di Grassi is no longer part of the Sheffield-based outfit. The new signing moves in from GP2 after taking part in four Friday morning practice sessions this year.

Belgian-born but of Italian ancestry, d’Ambrosio is confirmed ahead of his 25th birthday on Monday following a GP2 season with Renault F1-supported DAMS which brought one race win and as many pole positions before concluding with 12th place overall.

Previously, he began his single-seater career impressively by clinching the Belgian Formula Renault 1.6 title in 2003 before later being crowned Champion in the 2007 International Formula Master championship and finishing runner-up in the GP2 Asia Series campaign of 2008-09.

“I’m thrilled to have achieved my goal of a Formula 1 race seat with Marussia Virgin Racing,” he said on Tuesday morning, having driven at November's Young Driver test with both Virgin and Renault.

“When I came to the team in September this year it was everything I could hope for. I had a tough test to complete because there was a lot of competition for this seat, but at the same time I got on well with the team and felt that I had found my home.

“I feel very comfortable with them - they are extremely professional and ambitious people and it’s exciting to think that I can be a part of shaping the team’s future. I would like to thank everyone at Marussia Virgin Racing for the faith they have shown in me and everyone at Gravity Sport Management for the support they have given to my career so far.”

Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Teamspeed Member
Murph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really nice
Petrov confirmed for 2nd seat at Lotus Renault GP

I saw this and knew everyone would want to know one way or another about the second Renault seat. Seems Petrov is sticking around until 2012 unless something else intervenes.

Personally, I'll be glad to see him back next season - I think he's got a long way to go but it will be fun to see him in the mix.

Petrov to remain at Renault in 2011 and 2012 | 2011 F1 season

Vitaly Petrov has extended his contract to race with Renault for another two seasons.

The Russian driver confirmed the deal in a press conference in Moscow today. He said:

I am very happy to continue with the team and proud to be representing Lotus Renault GP for the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

I learned a lot about the sport, the circuits and the car this year. That will help me improve even more in the future. I am very excited about working with this great team once more, and I’m confident that I will deliver.

In many ways, 2010 was about learning. 2011 will be about performing. Today, I feel I am ready to rise to this challenge.
Vitaly Petrov

The news means Renault have both Robert Kubica and Petrov signed until the end of 2012.

Team chairman Gerard Lopez said:

We’re delighted to have Vitaly on board for another two years. Last season, he showed on several occasions that he clearly has the potential to deliver. It was just a matter of putting everything together during the same weekend, race after race, and this will be his target for 2011.

Also, thanks to Vitaly and the team, Russia is opening up to Formula 1. Over the past few months, we’ve established close links with this country and with some of its strongest companies. We’re looking forward to building on this special relationship and turning it into a very successful adventure over the next two seasons.
Gerard Lopez

Team principal Eric Boullier added:

We are very pleased to confirm that Vitaly will be staying with us for 2011 and 2012, in order that both he and the team can build on a promising 2010 campaign.

The entire team has been working flat out over the past months to improve our competitiveness, and a stable driver line-up is essential to achieving our targets. Robert Kubica provides a remarkable benchmark for both speed and consistency, and we are certain that Vitaly will move closer to this level of performance next year.
Eric Boullier

Renault issued the following Q&A with Petrov:

Vitaly, how does it feel to be confirmed at Lotus Renault GP?
It feels great. I learned so much this year and I know that I can come back stronger in 2011. I’m extremely proud to be part of this team and I’m determined to repay the faith they have shown in me.

Looking back on your rookie season, what did you enjoy the most?
There were a lot of special moments. The race in Shanghai is something that I will always remember when I overtook Schumacher and Webber to score my first points. Then, the first time I made Q3 in Turkey was an important step for me. And, of course, the race in Hungary was probably my best weekend when everything came together for me.

How has your life change since you became an F1 driver?
There’s a lot more travelling and not a lot of time for myself, but I will never complain because I love what I’m doing. I still feel like a boy at Christmas every time I get in the car. Life is not as easy as people think, of course, and there’s a lot more to F1 than driving the car, but it’s an amazing experience and I know I’m lucky to be one of just 24 drivers on the grid.

Do you feel at home at Lotus Renault GP?
Yes, definitely. Previous drivers have always said that there is a special atmosphere here and I have to say I agree with them. The team is very warm, friendly and open, and I get on really well with the guys.

Can you feel the growing support for F1 from Russia?
Definitely. I get more support from my country every week. In fact, recently one of the major lifestyle magazines included me in their top ten most attractive single men of Russia! You can feel that the sport is becoming more popular and soon we will have our own Grand Prix, which will create ore interest. Even our prime minister, Mr Putin, got a taste of F1 when he tried a Renault F1 car earlier this year.

What will be the main challenges of 2011?
There are quite a few changes that we have to adapt to as a team: new tyres, moveable rear wings and KERS, which I’ve never used before. There’s even a new race in India. So there are some things to adapt to, but they should improve the show and make for better racing. I’ve already seen the new car in the wind tunnel and it looks very promising. I also love our new colours and can’t wait to get back in the car and go racing.

What do you hope to achieve in your second season?
My objective is to continue improving as a driver and to become more consistent. There were times this year when I made mistakes and lost points, and I know this is where I can improve. I think I showed that I have the speed, but I need to be consistent over the whole weekend and get the maximum from every session.

What is your plan over the next couple of months before testing begins in February?
I was thinking about spending a few days in Maranello this winter, but I have been told it probably wasn’t the best idea… Seriously, after a busy year I’m taking the time to go back home and see my family and friends. It’s also the time to recharge my batteries so that I can come back fresh next year. I’m already working hard on my fitness and doing lots of training to be ready for the start of the season. Then, in January, I will be at the factory to see my engineers and for my seat-fit in the new car.

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Renault were stupid to keep him. Yeah, he brings money, but he sucks as a proper F1 driver. They should've hired the Hulk to replace him.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:57 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
^ disagree

Old 12-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
^ disagree
Me too. Petrov was decent and belongs with Renault for the time being.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:01 PM
FIGJAM

The Renault Formula 1 team is expecting Vitaly Petrov to improve next season as the Russian was announced as Robert Kubica's team-mate at Lotus Renault in 2011. In 2010 Petrov was unable to match Kubica's pace but according to Team Principal Eric Boullier the team is hoping to see Petrov move closer to Kubica's level of performance next season.

Speaking about Petrov's new contract with the Enstone-based team Boullier said: “We are very pleased to confirm that Vitaly will be staying with us for 2011 and 2012, in order that both he and the team can build on a promising 2010 campaign. The entire team has been working flat out over the past months to improve our competitiveness, and a stable driver line-up is essential to achieving our targets.

“Robert Kubica provides a remarkable benchmark for both speed and consistency, and we are certain that Vitaly will move closer to this level of performance next year.”

Old 12-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Petrov belongs to a lower level team for the time being. I would have been happy to see him in Team Lotus but Trulli refuses to retire.

Quick Reply: 2011 Formula 1 Off-Season Discussion Thread