Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

NASCAR - Teamspeed Nascar Challenge - News, Banter and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
Whhhattt that's so awesome, I'm so jealous. You'll have to give us impressions from being that close to the action...
I definitely will. I'll see if I have time to take a few pics during the race. I am also going to be working the LeMans, Vintage and Indy races at Laguna Seca and Infineon this year. I am a total racing nut, so working the races puts me as close to the action as possible. Its volunteer or minimal pay depending on the event, but I'm not in it for the money

Old 02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
I'm an so jealous of you guys on the west coast there are so many amazing tracks like the two you work at for you guys to experience. If you ever move out that way the first thing I do will be to put my name on a volunteer list. What great fun and a good way to help keep our obsessions going...

Old 02-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigE
Also, I'm going to be on staff at Infineon Raceway this year, so I will be working the NASCAR race at that venue. Most likely doing communications/flagging at one of the corners. Looking forward to being that close to the action.
That is cool as hell! Get some pics and post them up!!

To follow up what TTmotion said, road course races have become much more competitive over the last 5 years or so out of necessity because the points races have become so close. The road course races are some of my favorites because it is not follow the leader like in most other circuits. Lots of bumping and grinding, spinning out, off road excursions and the like.

These drivers from other circuits do OK, but not great because on many levels, these cars are so much harder to drive - 850HP, 3400 lbs, no traction control, no ABS, no telemetry, no launch control... It is a different world and while some, like JPM or Tony Stewart can acclimate and do well, most fail in NASCAR.

These are very low tech cars on purpose which makes it a driver and team showcase rather than a technology showcase like in F1. Hell, I think an F1 steering wheel costs more than a complete Nascar racecar!! This keeps the "haves" and the "have-nots" much closer together performance wise and makes the competition much closer. Look at Jeremy Mayfield and Scott Riggs. A month ago, neither had a ride. Then they got a small sponsorship deal and within a month, bought some cars, rented out some shop space, got a volunteer crew and came to Daytona, made the race and were actually competitive on track. Mayfield got wrecked and Riggs finished on the lead lap in 25th. Nowhere else can that happen...

NASCAR.COM - Mayfield, Riggs come from nowhere to make 500 grid - Feb 12, 2009

Matt Kenseth, the winner of yesterdays race, started 43rd...out of 43 cars. Yes, dead last. Passed every single car out there and won it.
Those types of stories are part of what makes it fun to watch for me.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
^^ very true

Old 02-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
My sole purpose in life is now to CRUSH each of you in the upcoming races.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
YouTube - Its on like donkey kong Biatch

Old 02-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
LOL i just saw your rep!

I know nothing about Nascar, i would be very pleased to stay at the top half of the board now!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Jeff- the cars have 850hp I thought it was 700? That's awesome I don't know where I got 700 was this changes with the COT?

EDIT: Looked more into it and I guess it depends on whether it's a plate race or regular race. There are so many little rules and exceptions it's hard to keep track. I found that at plate races they get a max horse of 450!! That's insane they goes as fast as they do on 450. I also had no idea that they redline at 9500 now but it used to be 10100, that is awesome...

Last edited by TTM0TION; 02-16-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Now I have to sign up. This is going to be a great year, Ferrari in F1 and Strebo in NASCAR(did I spell it right?).

Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
Jeff- the cars have 850hp I thought it was 700? That's awesome I don't know where I got 700 was this changes with the COT?

EDIT: Looked more into it and I guess it depends on whether it's a plate race or regular race. There are so many little rules and exceptions it's hard to keep track. I found that at plate races they get a max horse of 450!! That's insane they goes as fast as they do on 450. I also had no idea that they red-line at 9500 now but it used to be 10100, that is awesome...
Yeah, the restrictor plate engines are way down on HP from the normal race engines. If you think about it though, 190MPH is not too crazy for a 450HP car. It just takes them a long time to get up to speed - nearly two laps completely wide open at Daytona to hit top speed...
As for 850 HP and 9500 rpm, it is pretty impressive considering that it is a 350 CI small block V8 pushrod motor...

I have driven a nascar racecar detuned to about 600hp (Richard Petty experience) and at about 100mph in 4th gear (top gear) when I stomped on the gas, it literally pushed me back hard in the seat. Acceleration that reminded me of my sportbike days. I was impressed.

Quick Reply: NASCAR - Teamspeed Nascar Challenge - News, Banter and Discussion Thread