Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

Anyone got the 2011 5.0 Mustang yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
5.0 ftw, I drove a GT500 today for the first time its unbelievable and manual gearbox with the short shifter is much fun.
Well that's a 5.4L w/ a supercharger... Not quiet the 5.0 (which is impressive non the less).

Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by Montana
Good info on the X-Plan, thanks!!

Why do you say the 5.0 and Z06 would be cheaper to run?

The 997 911s are on 20K service intervals.

You mean parts etc?
No problem.

Hmm, I was told by the service manager locally they are on a 10k interval? I also thought that was what the service schedule in my old desk said. I know there is an annual service at the least.

And yes, parts/service more readily available. My guess is the labor rate at a Chevy or Ford store is less than that of a Porsche store. Cheaper oil changes, etc. I would be willing to bet Z06s run synthetic and are on a 10k interval as well. Who knows - would certainly be worth looking into!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C Money
Well that's a 5.4L w/ a supercharger... Not quiet the 5.0 (which is impressive non the less).
I've read lots of great reviews on the new GT, its equally impressive.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud of
I've personally driven a few Mustang GT's, including the '11.
It's the best pony car.
It can behave like a real sports car.
I'd take a '11 Mustang over a camaro or challenger ANY day.
It's also a ton of value for the money.

...That said, invest in some high-quality coilovers if you really want to track it.
And lots of spare rubber for the rear

Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
I have to say, I'm slightly shocked a track whiz such as yourself is leaning so heavily towards a Mustang. To me a 997 or a Z06 is such a no-brainer I don't even consider these cars in the same league.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jox
I have to say, I'm slightly shocked a track whiz such as yourself is leaning so heavily towards a Mustang. To me a 997 or a Z06 is such a no-brainer I don't even consider these cars in the same league.
OP should drive one and see if it's what he really wants... They aren't in the same category at all.
Personally given the choices, I'd pick the 997. Or a 996 turbo even.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Montana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond repute
Its a $$$ thing.

I'm relocating countries, so I have no real idea how much my lifestyle is going to cost me.

Thus if I can reduce the cost of transport, which is a large chunk, then I can adjust/fine tune my outgoings easier.

Plus I don't know if I'll still be in the country in 2 years, my company has a habit of moving people, so residuals are important.

The Mustang seems to be more and more like the E36/E46 M3's with this latest revision. Its fast (ish) has 4 seats, cheap to run, easy to maintain yourself, lots of aftermarket parts available, easily adapted to dual role (daily driver and occasional track).

The Corvette and 911 would be 5 years old, cost more, and as such, residuals may not be as good percentage wise.

And actually, its also a heart thing. I've had my fair share of European performance cars, whilst I'm in the USA I intend to embrace it.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Its a $$$ thing.

I'm relocating countries, so I have no real idea how much my lifestyle is going to cost me.

Thus if I can reduce the cost of transport, which is a large chunk, then I can adjust/fine tune my outgoings easier.

Plus I don't know if I'll still be in the country in 2 years, my company has a habit of moving people, so residuals are important.

The Mustang seems to be more and more like the E36/E46 M3's with this latest revision. Its fast (ish) has 4 seats, cheap to run, easy to maintain yourself, lots of aftermarket parts available, easily adapted to dual role (daily driver and occasional track).

The Corvette and 911 would be 5 years old, cost more, and as such, residuals may not be as good percentage wise.

And actually, its also a heart thing. I've had my fair share of European performance cars, whilst I'm in the USA I intend to embrace it.
How track-worthy does the car have to be?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Montana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond repute
Once a month maybe, if I buy a Mustang it'll have the Brembos.

I'm not out there to go fast or be the best, just have fun.

Fast requires a safe car, with cage and harnesses and cut offs. I've been there done that for a daily driver and I don't want to revisit, it was uncomfortable.

In honesty, a Miata for the track would be perfect, but I wont have space for 3 cars in the house and as an immigrant, insurance is going to be a killer anyway.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Once a month maybe, if I buy a Mustang it'll have the Brembos.

I'm not out there to go fast or be the best, just have fun.

Fast requires a safe car, with cage and harnesses and cut offs. I've been there done that for a daily driver and I don't want to revisit, it was uncomfortable.

In honesty, a Miata for the track would be perfect, but I wont have space for 3 cars in the house and as an immigrant, insurance is going to be a killer anyway.
Two words:
Dodge Viper.

They can be had for less than 30k, and parts are pretty reasonable.
Viper > C5 Z06

Quick Reply: Anyone got the 2011 5.0 Mustang yet?