Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Talk to me about M3s

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks man. We're probably driving it to Breckenridge this summer if anyone is on the way (I-70) or in that area.

A couple of years will help me decide what to shell out for next, too. It's such a painful process.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
My wife pointed out something very astute - when I drove the RS4 for the first time, I was saying, "Yep, let's do this" and traded my 997.1 S in for the RS4 on the spot. The M3 just doesn't have that "oomph" I'd want to replace my C4S. It would be a great second car (daily?) but I can't bring myself to part with the 911. Looks like I'll ride this one out (what a shame, huh?) and get another P-car to order in a couple years....
if it cant enchant you right away there is little reason to think you will warm to it later. have you driven a GT-R? i completely understand your stance on the gearbox (i think everyone knows im a 3 pedal advocate) but its a pretty sorted bit of kit. keeping in mind your location and purpose for the car (dd) you would be hard pressed to find a better choice. i was fairly skeptical myself bc of the weight but after driving it i was fairly astonished, its point to point pace is ridiculous and the power is very real. it will put a smile on your face.

a cost effective approach to this dilemma was demonstrated by an associate of mine who purchased a 996TT and had DMS install their ecu/exhaust package. i posted the evo article regarding this on here. on an X50 car it makes 550HP and doesn't cost too much (6-7K i believe). he is in the eu though so im not sure what the US alternative would be, ruf 550 i suppose? he's kept it stock otherwise and it's an incredibly potent car, think about it.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I've always been intrigued with the GT-R. When I tried to buy one, they brutally low-balled me on my trade values. So therefore I never got to test it out. Also, Nissan was pretty douchy in general about the GT-R. Finally, the performance might be too much for what I need around here. When I test drove the 997TT (what I was originally going to buy instead of the C4S), it was just too fast. I'd go to jail with Virginia's laws...

I think it's just smarter to pay off this one, then I can order a GT3 (or whatever) with a clear conscience, no equity issues, etc.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Plus, your C4S is beautiful. I'd rather drive it than an M3, and I really enjoy M3's.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
So I finally drove the M3 today...

The good: Nice sound, well made, very comfy (even on 19s), love the short shifter and the steering

The bad: Not much - a little light in the torque department.

It's pretty much what I expected, but I think (duh) that I'll REALLY miss my 911 if I trade it. My wife pointed out something very astute - when I drove the RS4 for the first time, I was saying, "Yep, let's do this" and traded my 997.1 S in for the RS4 on the spot. The M3 just doesn't have that "oomph" I'd want to replace my C4S. It would be a great second car (daily?) but I can't bring myself to part with the 911. Looks like I'll ride this one out (what a shame, huh?) and get another P-car to order in a couple years....
I agree, in stock form, the M3 lacked in a few departments for me. Get an intake, full Akra and a tune and see how this car flies! I'm still amazed at how quick my M3 is now after the recent modifications.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
I would do neither. The BMW is every kids dream car and you see a ton of them, no offense. The GTR, ugly as hell and in a word, BLAH, IMO.

Audi S6 off of a lease. V10, very nice, pretty rare, tons of torque and one hell of a cruiser.