Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Talk to me about M3s

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Talk to me about M3s

So I'm considering "downsizing" my ridiculous car habit and getting an M3 for my full-time, every day car (i.e. sell the 911). It'd cut my car budget significantly which would enhance my gun/vacation/etc. budget.

Would I be completely disappointed? Would I fall in love? It would be a build-to-order car with most of the options minus the cold weather package and 19s (and yes, it'd be a manual).

The other car in the same price range I'd consider is the GT-R. I know I like it, but I think a 6-speed M3 might be more fun.

Stoppie - any idea how bad I'll get hammered dumping the 911?

Thanks in advance for humoring me...

Chris

Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
E46 or E90/92?

EDIT: nevermind. "Built to order"=E90/92. Duh.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
I have no experience what so ever with either car, but I would choose the GT-R OR go back to the RS4. The M3 is cool, but I think both of these cars trump it.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Go for it Chris, the M3 is an amazing car. I still think it is the perfect DD. It does everything well, very comfortable, handles great, lots of fun to drive. Do you miss driving stick after having the PDK for a while? The DCT is definitely a great transmission.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Teamspeed Member
GT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
So I'm considering "downsizing" my ridiculous car habit and getting an M3 for my full-time, every day car (i.e. sell the 911). It'd cut my car budget significantly which would enhance my gun/vacation/etc. budget.

Would I be completely disappointed? Would I fall in love? It would be a build-to-order car with most of the options minus the cold weather package and 19s (and yes, it'd be a manual).

The other car in the same price range I'd consider is the GT-R. I know I like it, but I think a 6-speed M3 might be more fun.

Stoppie - any idea how bad I'll get hammered dumping the 911?

Thanks in advance for humoring me...

Chris

Chris,

Having had both a GT-R and E92 M3 manual hopefully i can shed some light for you. I havent driven many 997 C2 at all, but have driven the 996 models quite a bit.

Interior comfort:

The M3 wins over the GT-R easily. It has less cabin exhaust noise and mechanical noise. It also has FAR better leather materials and finishes on the interior compared to a GT-R. The M3 is pretty on par with a 997 interior quality when optioned well. The M3 seats are slightly more forgiving and adjustable then the GT-R

Performance:

The GT-R will whoop the M3 all day everyday. The M3 has a little more finess to it in daily driving and isnt as hardcore minded as the GT-R can be. Youll notice the M3 feels alot like the Porsche NA cars powerband and gearing. If you like the pull and feel of the NA 911 models, then youll like the feeling of the M3. If you want crazy torque and tons of HP, youll love the GT-R

Practical use:

The M3 is easier to use on a daily basis for trunk space, loading, a usable back seat etc. The GT-R has a paddle shift tranny that in auto mode is VERY nice.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. I have no probs giving you my comments on either car in further depth.

Greg

Old 03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
The differences between GTRs and E9x M3s are pretty obvious..
GTR wins in performance, but probably not much more (this coming from a GTR fanboy).

However, the areas that the M3>GTR may not be all that important to you. For instance, M3 interiors are definitely nicer and more refined than the GTR, but the GTR is by no means uncomfortable. Also, don't quote me on this, but I don't think there is a significant space difference between M3s and GTRs (if you didnt already know, the M3 sedan has been discontinued).

I'd personally get a GTR before an M3. My point is that even though M3>GTR in a few (maybe more than a few) ways, there is nothing about the GTR that I am not more than satisfied with. No negatives as far as I'm concerned, besides warranty issues, which I think were resolved in the 2011s.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
Tough choice! I'd only go with an M3 in this case if it is individualized.
Special color or Interior.

Originally Posted by GT Motoring
Chris,

Having had both a GT-R and E92 M3 manual hopefully i can shed some light for you. I havent driven many 997 C2 at all, but have driven the 996 models quite a bit.
lol he has a 997 C4S, PDK at that. With GT2 seats.

Last edited by Ced; 03-30-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's a terrific car, especially when specced correctly. They sound great, perform incredibly, and are very well built.

Chris, check out this video. Harris used to drive an RS4 Avant as a daily, so it's a relevant perspective for you. This is his personal car, just after taking delivery.

Chris On Camera 28 - My new BMW M3 - part 2 | Odeo: Search, Discover and Share Digital Media from Millions of Audio and Video Clips

Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Dude!!!! Welp.....I say you drive both and that will shed more light as to which way to go car wise. But I've got some other questions so email or pm me would ya pimp ?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
New option: buy my M5. Quicker and cheaper than an M3, V10 jewel of an engine. More space and comfort than either the M3 or the GT-R, and way cheaper than any of them.

(or I suppose you could buy someone else's M5...)

Quick Reply: Talk to me about M3s