Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS 4.0 Recall understanding

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
user 81911 should indeed maybe change his tone a bit, I witnessed that too.

doos hit the nail ..already...

Would I call for banning 81911..? No..- but if he continues like this then I would change my mind. But its up to the TS moderators to decide. Technial knowledge as was provided by 81911 is of great help here I think, but this can also be done in a different manner

Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 81911
I am not backing down from the points I've made, however I believe you guys are interpreting my posts in the wrong manner. I never once claimed to be a super technician or the best of the best. I am simply telling you that those of us who do this for a living struggle with this repair. It is not easy by any means and definitely not a diy job on this car.
This would have been an excellent post originally. It was talking to people you don't know assuming they are idiots. And the name calling that came off rude.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Teamspeed Member
nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!nizer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by dertub
In layman's terms, can someone help me clarify the recall items outstanding on the 4.0?
I'm more concerned about engine items than the center lock stuff. Just how serious is this and has anyone experienced failures?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by djantlive
is this what you are referring to?

" Porsche has determined that an intake air distributor may have been installed in your vehicle during production with a guiding shaft for the resonance flap that does not meet Porsche specifications. As a result, the shaft may break and broken pieces may get into the intake duct or, ultimately, into the combustion chambers. This can cause loud noises and may result in mechanical damage if the engine is not stopped immediately.
To prevent any damage occurring the intake air distributors in your vehicle need to be replaced"
Originally Posted by dertub
Yes, I believe so. In any event, #177 has been my pristine garage Queen. Now, I don't want to drive it at all until this is fixed. I assume a knowledgeable individual with a set of sockets can accomplish the job.'
DT: recall requires replacement of intake manifold. Engine must be lowered slighly to gain access. Not a DIY for any but the seasoned mechanic.

My understanding is that failures tend to occur at high RPM/airflow velocities within the manifold. FWIW, I drove mine to dealer for repair. Up to you regarding how comfortable you are with the risk.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Teamspeed Member
dertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud of
Thanks for those helpful responses without the harsh abuse. Most of us are intelligent and helpful.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Teamspeed Member
dertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud ofdertub has much to be proud of
BTW,they want to do this to my '10 RS also.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
MaxAnt has a spectacular aura aboutMaxAnt has a spectacular aura aboutMaxAnt has a spectacular aura aboutMaxAnt has a spectacular aura aboutMaxAnt has a spectacular aura aboutMaxAnt has a spectacular aura aboutMaxAnt has a spectacular aura aboutMaxAnt has a spectacular aura aboutMaxAnt has a spectacular aura aboutMaxAnt has a spectacular aura aboutMaxAnt has a spectacular aura about
I had this done on my 11 3.8 RS. Mechanic needed about a day and a half. What was interesting was the replacement part was identical to the original as far as the two of us could tell.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Teamspeed Member
I am hearing that the failures occur at high revs and those replacement parts may indeed be the same as the originals because not all originals were of the "defective" type. I gues it's a way of covering the situation "just in case" I am concerned at the number of recall campaigns on my '10 RS. Seven to date including some minor reprogramming, the intake shaft issue, and wheel hub assemblies.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Failure is most damaging at high revs but can happen at any RPM level....