Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918 Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011 | 02:34 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
They're not making the 'special editions' just for profit but because they have a number of 997 chassis they NEED to produce in order to fullfill the total ROI. Remember the cars cost more to produce now then they did just a few years ago. While I agree its annoying to a point- the Black Edition 911 was and is pretty well recieved amongst the general pubic who are in the market for a 911- the other varients too.

(there's a technical term they use for what I just described, however it's eluding me at the moment)

Old 05-04-2011 | 02:45 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Action Shots.... the car in the wild. (or, desk top)

Attached Images     
Old 05-04-2011 | 02:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
^ how come urs got carbon lip & mine doesn't. is urs a special limited edition that we don't know about yet?

Old 05-04-2011 | 02:56 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by 20C4S
^ how come urs got carbon lip & mine doesn't. is urs a special limited edition that we don't know about yet?
Yes. Its the Black Edition 918-2RS

Old 05-04-2011 | 03:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by .:Raul
least exciting yet overhyped and over priced car Porsche has ever announced imo....but that's just me
Originally Posted by rjmontoya
While it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think that Porsche actually reads forums and responds accordingly, something tells me that - based on the internet response to the 918 pricing, the gt2rs speculators market, and the customer expectations for the RS 4.0 - they aren't listening to some of their most dedicated fans or customers.

OR, they are listening, and saying <"fvck you, you will buy what we make and you will like it"> (translated from german).
Originally Posted by latterlon
The 918 needs to be cheaper, under 3,000 lbs and have a twin turbo V8. It already has the looks, but as said earlier, no one cares about fuel economy on a car of this magnitude. Super-halo cars typically are full of cutting edge edge technology that makes the car faster, not more environmentally friendly. These cars are supposed to be ridiculously loud, fast and alien.

I see similarities to the XJ220's sales fiasco. Only this time the undesirable powertrain has been presented first, along with the market's disinterest in it.
Originally Posted by PMac
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. The 918 is a car that should be considered a notch up from an MP4-12C or 458, not a notch down from a Veyron. Sure, the tech is cool, but so is MacLaren's. Given the quoted N-ring time, it's no faster than other options in that price range (or, dare I mention the Gee Tee Arrr?).

The 918 is likely to be an awesome car, but anything can be overpriced, and I really feel like they went *way* over the mark with this car.
Originally Posted by Ressy
None reported in Italy so far...
A part from the price which is out of... everything...
I think the Hybrid way has not been an happy one for the 918.
Customers for this kind of cars love the old, pure an real HP...
Leave batteries to Prius IMHO...
Originally Posted by terrence
Stupid car. They invited me to the Monterey preview last yea and I didn't even go. No interest in hybrid. And yes, my local dealer do not have one single order, and I am in Los Angeles.
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I love Porsche, but they are getting too greedy. Look at the abundant various limited edition cars that they are making lately for a tasty profit.

The 918 is not worth the price that they are asking no matter how much PR they are going to do. There are too many fast cars out there at a good price. This 918 just does not have the Wow factor compared to the time when Carrera GT, 959, or even when 993TT came out.
Bingo.
Bingo.
Bingo.
etc...

Not a single post in this whole thread that I can disagree with. I hope this turns out to be a valuable lesson to every other supercar maker out there, and they need to take notice. Stop. Just stop the BS when it comes to CO2 outputs and "green" technology when it comes to super/hyper cars.

Nobody wants these kinds of cars except governments.

Technology will increase and vehicles will naturally become more & more efficient. We should enjoy these ultimate cars while we still can - until the day when the politicians & treehuggers win and the automoible becomes a GPS tracked, ruled & regulated ghost of it's former self.

Last edited by Zeus; 05-04-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2011 | 03:43 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
Stoppie, send me one of your gayrod toy cars.

Old 05-04-2011 | 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jcc2tx
IDK on the 961. They claim the same electric motor stuff. It might be cool, but we aren't ready and don't really want. Noone, and I mean noone, that buys an $850k car could give a damn about gas mileage. Or how cool it is to get 100 mpg on theirs. We want it fast and loud.
Originally Posted by latterlon
The 918 needs to be cheaper, under 3,000 lbs and have a twin turbo V8. It already has the looks, but as said earlier, no one cares about fuel economy on a car of this magnitude. Super-halo cars typically are full of cutting edge edge technology that makes the car faster, not more environmentally friendly. These cars are supposed to be ridiculously loud, fast and alien.
/thread. Porsche has produced a car that no one wants at a price no one is willing to pay.

If you're going to add weight with the electric motors, at least make the car faster! It should have a 700hp V10 with the 200hp electric motors. Especially for $850,000!

Gee do I want the LOUD and FAST 750hp V10 or do I want a 500hp V8 with 200hp electric motors that I can't even use most of time?

Old 05-04-2011 | 05:39 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
^True.

Old 05-04-2011 | 07:37 PM
Teamspeed Member
latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Aren't they planning on producing a total of 918 cars? Maybe they need to rename it the Porsche 189 Spyder.

To me this is a clear example of a company building something their customers don't want.

Old 05-04-2011 | 07:38 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
^To an extent you are right, but not completely. I want it, but it's not in the proper form based on price.

Quick Reply: 918 Revisited