Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918 Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011 | 08:28 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Chris - I recall that you felt this thing was going to move well, even after the price was released? I am in no way saying that in an inflammatory manner. What do you think changed? People actually thought about the fact it is $845k?

Personally I can only see $400k for this car TOPS. I don't think people really care about the hybrid stuff? I think KERS etc is great but battery powered cars are nothing more than political bullshit... The technology for 80mpg+ out of regular gasoline powered engines has been around for decades, it's just been shelved.

Last edited by cstroked; 05-04-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2011 | 08:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond reputejpcourt has a reputation beyond repute
Well, know of one confirmed order, but both myself and a buddy of mine pulled out... my wife still doesn't believe me, but I honestly have zero interest in a million dollar hybrid.

Old 05-05-2011 | 12:59 AM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
My initial instinct is unchanged....just so many other more exciting and classic choices for 850k with the 333sp first to mind....or an F40LM...or a 962....or a 275gtb...

I'd take a classic 904 GTS over this thing...it really doesn't do anything for me.

Old 05-05-2011 | 04:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
all i can say is, Porsche messed up.

Big time.

Old 05-05-2011 | 07:40 AM
|
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpcourt
Well, know of one confirmed order, but both myself and a buddy of mine pulled out... my wife still doesn't believe me, but I honestly have zero interest in a million dollar hybrid.
Thank God you pulled out. You add more cars to your signature and it will start taking 2 pages each time you post.

Old 05-05-2011 | 10:58 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
One thing I don't get is how do these manufacturers price these cars out? Do they just pick a number and throw it out there in hopes that there'd be buyers? VW says that they lose money every time a Veyron is built which I imagine could be attributed to R&D, tooling and building costs. But does the same thing happen for a new "supercar" offered by Porsche, Ferrari, etc. Do they really think that they can build and sell a car for essentially double what their last "supercar" was. If I recall, the 959 was what? $200k when it first came out? Then the CGT was $440k and now the 918 is $850k. What next after that? $1.6 million? These guys are crazy.

Old 05-05-2011 | 11:43 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
Chris - I recall that you felt this thing was going to move well, even after the price was released? I am in no way saying that in an inflammatory manner. What do you think changed? People actually thought about the fact it is $845k?

Personally I can only see $400k for this car TOPS. I don't think people really care about the hybrid stuff? I think KERS etc is great but battery powered cars are nothing more than political bullshit... The technology for 80mpg+ out of regular gasoline powered engines has been around for decades, it's just been shelved.
Price happened.

This is my take on the situation:

Car prices (pre 2008 crash) were $300-400++ for exotic cars. Super elite cars were in the 700++ range.

Post 2008- 200++ is the "new" $400. Meaning, it's MORE social ably acceptable to spend $299k versus $460 or 505k on a car. Post crash buyers/collectors are being more savvy with their money. What ever their reasoning is; it's also reflected in the price points of cars.

$600(ish) was the 'anticipated' assumed price point. While excessive IMHO; it seemed to be a threshold that buyers would tolerate. Things quickly spiraled due to the lack of (this is my OWN personal opinion) follow up and more importantly, getting potential clients NEAR the car - from Porsche. Clients today (post 2008) want to spend the money. But you better make them feel important. They need that extra reassurance that they're money spent is justified. Give them one reason to bounce, and they will- with out hesitation. Gone are the days of a lot of people with money, SPENDING money- just for exclusivity- beyond a certain price point.

I mean, look at McLaren. They're doing a bang up job of making the clients (or potential) clients feel the love. Constant contact. keeping them updated about the car. making appointments to see/drive the car. ect. If they can do it- Porsche SHOULD be doing that with this car.

You can't just drop a price and expect to 'sell' the car because it's a Porsche. That's unacceptable. And it highlights a weakness. The good news is - if Porsche really wanted to- they'd do something really special to bring potential clients closer to the car. The car needs a 4 Star event to wet peoples appetites to get excited about something this expensive.

Not to mention, Porsche still does not have the same draw as a typical Ferrari owner would approach the car. Ferrari guys are, in general- more flashy. Head to toes in Ferrari collateral. They'd buy an Enzo simple because it's the "Halo Ferrari".

Porsche people, in general approach the sport with a much more logical mentality.

Porsche, needs to really appeal to that logic. Or this project will fail, miserably.

these are my personal opinions.

Old 05-05-2011 | 12:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
^Agreed.

Old 05-05-2011 | 12:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Chris were you talking about economies of scale on page 5? Needing to sell X units to pay off their costs?

Old 05-05-2011 | 12:52 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyatth
Chris were you talking about economies of scale on page 5? Needing to sell X units to pay off their costs?
Not exactly. Damn it. I can't remember.

Quick Reply: 918 Revisited