Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918 Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Teamspeed Member
Tacet-C is on a distinguished roadTacet-C is on a distinguished roadTacet-C is on a distinguished road
I know if they, Porsche, wanted to they could have made the 918 a performance tour de force. At least for the price I know they could extract the performance demanded of a car costing $850K.

I swore I wasnt going over $600K, and when I saw the price I Knew they were putting some LSD in that Kool-Aid.

I've been on the 959 wagon for a minute. When they announced the 918 last year I figured this could be a good chance to own something like the CGT from new. Not to mention I just had went for a test drive in 959 a week before.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
least exciting yet overhyped and over priced car Porsche has ever announced imo....but that's just me

Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think there is a single buyer here either. Then again if the price is 800k there, it will be $1.6M here. The CGT was a stretch for me and that was still 500k less.

There are too many other good cars to be had for the price. The fact that you have to wait 2 years before it even goes into production is also a real turn off.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Teamspeed Member
FerrariWF is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a friend that placed an order

Old 05-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
So maybe we are at 5-6 in the US we know of, and 3 in Canada? Considering noone has posted from Florida or some other regions, I would estimate they sold about 15. That's such a disaster in the US market it isn't funny. I would suspect that Canada is in the 5-6 car range total. It would not shock me if they cancelled making the car. Or completely changed directions. And they should.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
There's only one guy I know of in my area who could and possibly would swing a 918 purchase. He's already got a CGT and most of the other recent holy grail cars. Not sure if I'll see him this weekend at C&C but I'll try to find out if he's put down a deposit or not.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!rjmontoya You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
While it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think that Porsche actually reads forums and responds accordingly, something tells me that - based on the internet response to the 918 pricing, the gt2rs speculators market, and the customer expectations for the RS 4.0 - they aren't listening to some of their most dedicated fans or customers.

OR, they are listening, and saying <"fvck you, you will buy what we make and you will like it"> (translated from german).

Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Teamspeed Member
latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
The 918 needs to be cheaper, under 3,000 lbs and have a twin turbo V8. It already has the looks, but as said earlier, no one cares about fuel economy on a car of this magnitude. Super-halo cars typically are full of cutting edge edge technology that makes the car faster, not more environmentally friendly. These cars are supposed to be ridiculously loud, fast and alien.

I see similarities to the XJ220's sales fiasco. Only this time the undesirable powertrain has been presented first, along with the market's disinterest in it.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by slord
Honestly the $1mil territory of Veyrons, One77's, Ksegg, Zonda's all seem like they fit the bill. The 918 looks like it should be back down near SLS and 458 territory. Thats my opinion. I bet they would sell more than 2 down there as well.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. The 918 is a car that should be considered a notch up from an MP4-12C or 458, not a notch down from a Veyron. Sure, the tech is cool, but so is MacLaren's. Given the quoted N-ring time, it's no faster than other options in that price range (or, dare I mention the Gee Tee Arrr?).

The 918 is likely to be an awesome car, but anything can be overpriced, and I really feel like they went *way* over the mark with this car.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
VinR is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn´t they say that the base 918 is aprox. 500-600K € maximum and the price of close under 1 Million is just if you order the special edition 911 Turbo?!

The 961 is suspected to cost about 200K according to the German car magazine AutoBild. Plus, according to Porsche they´d only produce the car if they had 1000 seriously interested customers worldwide and since they´re going to build it they probably hit the 1K mark.

Greetings from Stuttgart

Quick Reply: 918 Revisited