Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Details

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by burnzie
An automatic transmission will never be as involving as a manual.
Nobody can argue with this statement, but I don't think Porsche will disappoint. For all we know we could see a high mounted carbon shifter, no paddles nu buttons, all clutchless sequential boom-boom-boom with an automatic option. That would be awesome. I think a 6MT should still be offered, however.

What I've noticed, is that most manufactures keep adding heavy tech to their cars, a bunch of pointless junk, hybrid tech, they keep making their cars larger and larger, fatter, and fatter, heavier, and heavier, and they want to 'reduce fuel consumption'. Notice how Hondas from the 80's got better mileage than some of the Hondas today, and there were no where near as many consumption regulations. The cars today are getting pretty good mileage, but imagine what would happen if they took off all of this worthless techno garbage? But then again, why is mileage even important? The only up side I see is saving money. How are you going to save the world?

In a time where cars are packing on the pounds and tech to achieve better consumption (which obviously ins't working), Porsche gets it, and decides to build light weight cars such as the GT2 RS and Boxster Spyder to increase excitement, while at the same time lowering consumption. For example, the 612hp Porsche that can lap the Nordschleife in 7:18 receives 23mpg highway. In comparison, that ugly brick called the Maxima gets 26mpg, and can do the Nordschleife in 7:17 (7 days: 17 hours).

I'm not saying I, or anyone who will buy a GT2 RS cares about gas mileage, but it just proves that Porsche gets it. Lowering weight adds excitement, adds fun, while at the same time making the car much more efficient. Porsche grasps that concept very well.

Basically ALL new cars should come with very light chassis, and all of the techno crap optional, unless they can reduce the weight sufficiently. Basically what Porsche is doing.

Rant about consumers and their stupid obsession over gas mileage and saving the world- over.

The new GT3 will be even more raw, faster, rougher, and even more involving than the current one, yet will be even more livable than the 997 GT3, and we all know it. Just remember that this car is developed by the motorsports department. When have they EVER disappointed you with a street legal model?

I can't wait.

Last edited by Carrera; 01-30-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I'm surely not passing on the GT3RS LE...

Old 01-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned
gmaccormack is an unknown quantity at this point
Get your DL yet?

Old 01-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
nontheless, a more raw and sportier PDK will be also fun to drive. It's the future. And Porsche knows how to build proper driver involving sportscars.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmaccormack
Get your DL yet?
srsly

exactly.

even if you put lipstick on a pig, its still a pig.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Another detail: The Rlist member said that he heard the next generation GT3 will be using some of the same weight reduction methods we saw on the GT2 RS. Ya this car is going to be a real watered down disappointment. /sarcasm

EDIT: GT3 w/launch control...

Last edited by Carrera; 01-30-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Any words about that flat six versus V8?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by X2daC
Any words about that flat six versus V8?
Coming from the same Rennlist member, he said that the motorsports rep stressed multiple times that there will be absolutely NO 8 cylinder whatsoever. That's a relief to hear.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
While you are correct it takes more effort to shift a manual once you dive into a faster transmission totally different aspects enter your driving window making the loss of shifting not such a big deal.

Faster cornering, Faster exit speeds, Smoother shifting allowing newer and quicker shift points. The list is long. When you take time out of shifting you make everything happen faster and you will NEVER be bored. These are track cars remember and they are designed by engineers that are told to make their cars faster faster faster, however possible. Taking driver ERROR out achieves this while making the cars that much better.

That being said I'd love to see a street version sequential car to choose from. Sequential is used in almost all race cars. Fast like you can't believe while being almost a PDK or F1 Flappy paddle car. My question for you would be does this count as a non manuel car? You still have to use the clutch coming back down but the shifting to 6th happens with the quick pull of the lever.

Would all of you PDK haters also hate a sequential?

I'm looking forward to see what they come up with. 200lbs lighter, 4.0RSR engine, 50hp more, NA car. I'm licking my chops just thinking about it. Good for Porsche imho.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrara
Coming from the same Rennlist member, he said that the motorsports rep stressed multiple times that there will be absolutely NO 8 cylinder whatsoever. That's a relief to hear.
Glad to know that.

Originally Posted by Carrara
"The GT3 RS LE will be the last 6 cylinder 911. The new 911 will get an 8 Cylinder engine. I've already driven it in Germany, and it also had no rear seats". Most of that is fact. There are 8 cylinder 911 prototypes.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Details