Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS 4.0 Limited Edition - Official Information Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by marakji
Was this in an official press release? Never read this before...
It was announced in Germany. Porsche said there was no sense in builiding two entirely different engines inhouse (9A1 va. GT1).

Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Carrara
It was announced in Germany. Porsche said there was no sense in builiding two entirely different engines inhouse (9A1 va. GT1).
the 4.0 liter engine already exists in the RSR (!!)

Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
the 4.0 liter engine already exists in the RSR (!!)
No sense in building two engines in house for the next generation models, that is.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Carrara
No sense in building two engines in house for the next generation models, that is.
i'm sorry i don't get you... i'm guessing they are using the same existing block from the RSR, correct?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
i'm sorry i don't get you... i'm guessing they are using the same existing block from the RSR, correct?
As of right now, the GT3, GT3 RS, GT3 RSR, GT3 R, GT3 Cup, and GT2 RS are the only cars that use the GT1 block. In a release, Porsche said that they were retiring the GT1 block. Here is a quote from Dürheimer himself:

"... change is coming, even to the cars built by Porsche Motorsport, often seen as a brand within a brand. Ever since the first GT3 was built over a decade ago, these cars hve been using the old racing engine, the indirect injection motor that can trace its origins back to the 911 GT1 Le Mans winner of 1998. But now that Porsche has an all-new direct injection flat-six in every other 911, Boxster and Cayman, the time has come for the old engine to take its final bow. 'We don't need to replace it,' concedes Durheimer, 'but we are business people and it doesn't make sense to have two entirely different generations of flat-six being built in house.' He confirms the GT2 RS will be the last new Porsche to be fitted with the old engine. And while that will bring tears to the eyes of the purists, I think we should at least wait to see what its replacement is like before lamenting its passing too much."

I think he meant the GT2 RS will be the last production car with the GT1 engine.

Porsche might have just said that to end speculation on the GT3 RS LE, so GT2 RS buyers won't feel betrayed.

Every next generation model will receive the 9A1 direct injection engine.

I hope Porsche can still keep the sound of the GT1 engine alive in the GT3s!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting.
"He confirms the GT2 RS will be the last new Porsche to be fitted with the old engine. "

I am curious if any collector/investor/ordinary customer has sued a manufacturer for a claim/breach like this? Seems like false advertising and there's surely evidence to conjure up showing the effect of such actions on value.

Last edited by wyatth; 01-11-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maybe the LE is TOO special and not considered a "production car"

Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
You bring up a good point. But my quote (which is NOT his quote) does not say production car. It says 'new Porsche.' Which is different. So now I wonder if my quote was a quote of his, or a paraphrase with "minor" word change.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ressy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the roughRessy is a jewel in the rough
Porsche stated also that this LE will be the last RS model, this info would support what Carrara mentioned about the "final blow" of the GT1 Engine Block.

Considering Porsche's stanrdard I am sure they will fit the LE with a well tested 4.0L engine.
What better choice than the power plant coming from the RSR which has been racing for few years?
Despite what said about the GT2 RS I really think the LE will be fitted with the "old" GT1 block too.

Last edited by Ressy; 01-11-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
MJSpeed is on a distinguished roadMJSpeed is on a distinguished roadMJSpeed is on a distinguished roadMJSpeed is on a distinguished roadMJSpeed is on a distinguished road
The GT1 Block, afaik ends its service life with the 997.

Quick Reply: GT3RS 4.0 Limited Edition - Official Information Thread!