Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

Talk to me about C36. That's right, C36

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
^^^this, since 1991 mb produces less reliable and cheap cars..

edit, from 1993 that is.. the last 190-series..

Last edited by A3aan; 01-29-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Mercedes has made fantastic cars from 1901 to 1993, and from 2006-

Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Teamspeed Member
waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!waybomb You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
About the comments on W202 reliability - we have a 1997 C280 Sport (shoulda bought the C36) that is my wife's car that we bought new when living in California. It now has almost 150,000 miles on it. Other than normal wear items - tires, brakes, fluid changes, we had a idler pulley go bad, and a flex joint started showing signs of stress, so I changed it. And the head gasket oil leak, which plagues all M104 engines, which is what the C36 and c280 use. That's it, really. Maybe I got lucky? Neighbor has one too, about the same miles, no issues, other than the same ones I had. She loves the car. She doesn't want my car when I sell it, she doesn't want a new one, she wants her little C 202.

So long as some punk kid didn't rice it out, and it is all stock, I don't believe you can go wrong.

The M104 engines are bullet-proof. They had an issue with oil leaks at a poorly designed gasket joint on the left front of the engine, where the head gasket and front cover gasket leak, as mentioned above.

If not fixed already, you will have to fix it eventually. If you do it yourself, cheap. Indy can do the job for about a grand, including new chain and slides while you have it apart.

No, it is not a Ferrari or a Porsche, but for 5k, jeez, quit yer bitchin people. What else can you have this much fun in for that kinda money? Add 2k for a turbo set up and have a blast.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by waybomb
About the comments on W202 reliability - we have a 1997 C280 Sport (shoulda bought the C36) that is my wife's car that we bought new when living in California. It now has almost 150,000 miles on it. Other than normal wear items - tires, brakes, fluid changes, we had a idler pulley go bad, and a flex joint started showing signs of stress, so I changed it. And the head gasket oil leak, which plagues all M104 engines, which is what the C36 and c280 use. That's it, really. Maybe I got lucky? Neighbor has one too, about the same miles, no issues, other than the same ones I had. She loves the car. She doesn't want my car when I sell it, she doesn't want a new one, she wants her little C 202.

So long as some punk kid didn't rice it out, and it is all stock, I don't believe you can go wrong.

The M104 engines are bullet-proof. They had an issue with oil leaks at a poorly designed gasket joint on the left front of the engine, where the head gasket and front cover gasket leak, as mentioned above.

If not fixed already, you will have to fix it eventually. If you do it yourself, cheap. Indy can do the job for about a grand, including new chain and slides while you have it apart.

No, it is not a Ferrari or a Porsche, but for 5k, jeez, quit yer bitchin people. What else can you have this much fun in for that kinda money? Add 2k for a turbo set up and have a blast.
lol,
You are a lucky one, mercedes has build crap during the last 15yrs, everyone knows that, even mercedes said that cutting the budget cost them their name..

Don't get me wrong, the 36amg is a lotta fun, but prepare for some expensive maintenance..

Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
When you bring up one of the most automotive catastrophes in the world, namely late 90s- early 00's MB's, one lucky owner spared of all this will inevitably come in and defend its qualities. As would anybody.

But the fact of the matter is that they are godawful. And I know this like the back of my hand, having been part of a massive legal battle in EU court against Mercedes Benz on this exact subject alongside a few hundred other people. Do you know how much Mercedes spent over the past 15 years in goodwill repairs on these cars? 6 billion euros. Six billion. If they hadn't changed out just about every single thing on these cars for free two or three times, there wouldn't be any W202 or W210s left. I think everyone over at Mercedes wish they could disinvent them. Hell, I even had a W211 E500 wagon a few years ago that had severe rust problems, and that was like a year old back then. But still nothing like the W210.

The engine and gearbox will probably outlive humanity, but the rest of the car is horrifying. Rack and pinion steering, automatic transmission and a relatively uninspiring 6 cylinder engine - this is nothing more than a Buick LeSabre without the comfy ride.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
What's the market for C43s like?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
E30 325 > This.
LOL, you mean, like me paying 2400 bucks for my E30 and ended up spending 10K to get it to 100% DD'able condition?

That's harsh for a modern car.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Chris send me the last 7 digits of the VIN and I'll give you a run down on it.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Teamspeed Member
Bellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to beholdBellefonte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jox
When you bring up one of the most automotive catastrophes in the world, namely late 90s- early 00's MB's, one lucky owner spared of all this will inevitably come in and defend its qualities. As would anybody.

But the fact of the matter is that they are godawful. And I know this like the back of my hand, having been part of a massive legal battle in EU court against Mercedes Benz on this exact subject alongside a few hundred other people. Do you know how much Mercedes spent over the past 15 years in goodwill repairs on these cars? 6 billion euros. Six billion. If they hadn't changed out just about every single thing on these cars for free two or three times, there wouldn't be any W202 or W210s left. I think everyone over at Mercedes wish they could disinvent them. Hell, I even had a W211 E500 wagon a few years ago that had severe rust problems, and that was like a year old back then. But still nothing like the W210.

The engine and gearbox will probably outlive humanity, but the rest of the car is horrifying. Rack and pinion steering, automatic transmission and a relatively uninspiring 6 cylinder engine - this is nothing more than a Buick LeSabre without the comfy ride.
It seems that you had a bad experience.

Was there a US Class Action Suit?

Old 01-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
At least the C36 is bound to be more reliable than ANY Audi of that same time period.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about C36. That's right, C36