Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

PDK - Am I the only one who thinks it sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by U-Boat Commander
Red lining it in each gear.
Yep thats seems about right !

Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't have that problem. Now a shit tranny is the R tronic in the R8.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Let's be clear; when you were in sport plus mode and you were redlining it- did you let IT change gears or did YOU change gears?
pulling the paddle implicates that he changed the gear imo

Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ECB
pulling the paddle implicates that he changed the gear imo
Personally I think the 458 shifts faster, yet that set up wasn't designed for daily use and ZERO services under 100,000 miles such as the PDK. But compared to the Mas system I don't see how that feels better, I honestly don't like the Maserati gear changes.

PDKI on the other hand, I didn't like.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Let's be clear; when you were in sport plus mode and you were redlining it- did you let IT change gears or did YOU change gears?
I was manually changing the gears from the paddles in Sport Plus. Of course, I didn't red line it every time. But the gear changes were equally slow at each RPM level.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
If anything your experience is due to what Porsche required for service life, low maintence and cost savings. But I'm assuming.

I felt the PDKII was near 458 experience.... there was no comparison with the first gen PDK.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
You guys do realize the service life requirements of the PDK are much longer and much less expensive than a car thats 2-3X the cost. There's gotta be middle ground.
Should I care the the PDK has a long life if it sucks? Based on my experience, I would never order it on the car and would instead go with the manual.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I felt the PDKII was near 458 experience.... there was no comparison with the first gen PDK.
But isn't that what I was driving -- PDK II? It is no where near a Ferrari transmission. I have not driven the 458, but it's tranny is even faster than the F1 Sueprfast on my car.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Should I care the the PDK has a long life if it sucks? Based on my experience, I would never order it on the car and would instead go with the manual.
You may not; but Porsche, and most of it's 'typical' clients do. Thus why it's extremely inexpensive to maintain a modern Porsche.

But isn't that what I was driving -- PDK II? It is no where near a Ferrari transmission. I have not driven the 458, but it's tranny is even faster than the F1 Sueprfast on my car.
yes. You're saying PDKII is no where near and I'm saying I think it is- the PDKI however is not.

Thus why I'm actually rather surprised. Whats the service life on a Maserati transmission? Every 30k?

Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jaykla has a brilliant futurejaykla has a brilliant futurejaykla has a brilliant futurejaykla has a brilliant futurejaykla has a brilliant futurejaykla has a brilliant futurejaykla has a brilliant futurejaykla has a brilliant futurejaykla has a brilliant futurejaykla has a brilliant futurejaykla has a brilliant future
I can't stand the lag between pulling the lever and the shift.
PDK blows.

Quick Reply: PDK - Am I the only one who thinks it sucks?