Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

PDK - Am I the only one who thinks it sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Green has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Scud>all.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 PM
contract neg repper for hire
mafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool info about the limited Superfast tranny on the 09 GT-S. Didn't know that. Turns out your car is pretty awesome UBC.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
I know I'm late to the party here, but I like the PDK. For what it is. A car pretty cool to drive for my wife. I enjoy rowing gears. But, the PDK in her car is fast shifting without any power interruption to me. And that's good enough for most. It's not my DD nor is it hers, so it's highly functional when that sportiness is required. I'm likely in the minority, but I have a bunch of cars and each tranny is different

Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I've had two PDK cars ('09 C2S and '10 P2S) and my perspective is the PDK is pretty damn good for what it's supposed to be: a lightning quick and very efficient automated-manual transmission. Note that I didn't say 'automatic transmission'. Yes, it can be somewhat jerky at lower gears...but who gives a $&@%? It's not like a 911 is the smoothest car to drive in the first place. And as hard as I might try, my shifts in a manual are nowhere near as smooth as a PDK is in any gear change.

Personally I prefer the manual in a sports car as I can manage the revs easier (and therefore manage the sound I get from the car) and it makes the driving experience more involving. But for those that choose a PDK, I can guarantee that they are quicker than I am and they also have a car that is more suitable for daily driving.

Is the PDK as smooth as an automatic? Nope. Is it supposed to be? I think some people expect it to be, and I'm sure Porsche is doing their best to get it to that point. But for now, it's not. But after driving a 991 PDK I can honestly state that the new PDK in the 991 is much smoother than my C2S or P2S ever were.

I don't think PDK sucks at all. I think it's fantastic engineering. If I were buying a Porsche for both my wife and I to drive, I wouldn't hesitate buying one. But since it's just me driving the 911, I'm all for rowing the gears myself.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Blue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond repute
Can't comment on PDK since I haven't driven one, however, I have a DSG S4 and for as much as I love it, I wish I would have opted for a 6MT. As said before, DSG can get boring, there is no involvement. Technically a dual clutch is not an automatic, but to the normal driver there is no difference. Manual >

Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ZEM930
Stoppie is my hero

Porsche RACE cars are not manual transmission btw ;-)
corect - and neither are they PDKs...