Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

PDK - Am I the only one who thinks it sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012 | 05:53 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
PDK - Am I the only one who thinks it sucks?

I test drove a 991S Cab with PDK this weekend. Although I have owned three manual tranny 911s, I thought I would give PDK a shot. I've been driving my Maserati GT MC Shift for about three years and have come to enjoy the paddles and automated clutch. The Maserati shifts instantly (100 miliseconds) when I pull the paddles. The Maserati tranny, which is the same tranny as on the F 599, is so precise. I wish I could say the same thing about PDK. . .

Never have I been more frustrated with a car. Each time I would pull on a paddle I would have to wait like 1/2 to 3/4 of a second for the gear to actually change. During that time, if I had my foot on the gas, the engine speed would continue to increase. The gear changes were fast . . . once they happened. There is just an unbearable annoying delay between the time you pull the paddle and the time the tranny actually decides to shift. Coming off the Maserati, this seems like an eternity. Even my girlfriend noticed the delay from the passenger seat. It was that noticeable.

I am sure there are plenty of folks here who have driven PDK and perhaps they like it (perhaps because they have not driven a better automated transmission). But I am wondering if there is anyone on TS who has driven both a late model Ferrari (or the Maser GT MC Shift) and a PDK 911 and was as frustrated as I was.

BTW, I was in Sport Plus mode the entire time I drove the car (of course).

Last edited by U-Boat Commander; 05-22-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-22-2012 | 05:54 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't like the PDK either. That makes 2 of us...

Old 05-22-2012 | 06:02 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
It's very good for what it is ( application ) though, no?

Old 05-22-2012 | 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond repute
We're you just cruising around or were you driving hard? I know my DCT BMW will shift INCREDIBLY fast if the sport button is on and I'm driving hard. If I'm shifting early and just cruising then the shifting is a little slower. But when I'm driving like an idiot, it shifts the way DCT should.

Old 05-22-2012 | 06:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Just man the **** up and buy a manual. La pussys

Old 05-22-2012 | 06:09 PM
Teamspeed Member
mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Your frustration is not unique. Coming from the F1 Superfast or dual clutch Ferrari, the Porsche seems antiquated!

Old 05-22-2012 | 06:18 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Tony
We're you just cruising around or were you driving hard?
Red lining it in each gear.

Old 05-22-2012 | 06:19 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by mkultra
Your frustration is not unique. Coming from the F1 Superfast or dual clutch Ferrari, the Porsche seems antiquated!
Thank you. I knew it couldn't be just me.

Old 05-22-2012 | 06:27 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Let's be clear; when you were in sport plus mode and you were redlining it- did you let IT change gears or did YOU change gears?

Old 05-22-2012 | 06:29 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
You guys do realize the service life requirements of the PDK are much longer and much less expensive than a car thats 2-3X the cost. There's gotta be middle ground.

But I'll wait for UBC's answer...

Quick Reply: PDK - Am I the only one who thinks it sucks?